Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Build - Cannot get Vista to Install (BSODs)

Cool New Build - Cannot get Vista to Install (BSODs)

Hello,

This is only my 2d build, so I'm very much new to this.

I purchased and put together the following:

Intel C2D E7300
    Patriot PC2-6400 2x1GB kit (only 1 stick installed atm)
    Radeon HD4850
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD (7200rpm)
    Lite-On DVD Player
    A PS/2 Keyboard & USB Mouse
    Antec NeoPower 550
    and of course
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (version 1.0; BIOS F9)

I also installed 2 extra case fans (Power fan & Sys Fan1), all in an Antec Three Hundred case.

It posted no problems at all.

However, I've been trying to install Windows Vista Home Premimum (32bit).

No luck. About 20 failed tries. Early, it would hang. Now, I've gotten repeated BSODs after it seems to have installed. The first had no description. Then I got a series of IRQ_Not_Less_or_Equal BSODs.

This last one again has no message other than the #s, which are:

0x0000008E (0xc00000029, 0x89462c44, 0x84FCB058, 0x00000000)

I tried putting BIOS into Fail-Safe mode (no luck). Then Fail-Safe mode with all peripherals disabled in BIOS (USB, parallel port, etc). Again, no luck.

The HD is not in AHCI mode.

The only things I can think of to try, but am a bit nervous to do so, and so I'm seeking advice:

1. Should I try to flash BIOS before getting VISTA installed? I don't know if this BIOS can handle the Wolfdale E7300; or if there are manual BIOS edits that need to be made? Teh BIOS is F9, adn should be fine however ...

2. Is the RAM the issue? I noticed in BIOS that the DRAM voltage is set to 1.8 be default, but this kit is labeled as 2.2V. 2.2V strikes me as very high for RAM, but its right there on the sticker. Should I up the DRAM Voltage in BIOS to 2.2v? (I notice 2.2v is highlighted in pink/red in BIOS as a warning I assume given that 2.2v is so high!)

HELP?!?
    Last edited by Pellegro111; 01-11-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: to add in PSU to equip list; add BIOS version

Default Re: New Build - Cannot get Vista to Install (BSODs)

It seemed to install, then a BSOD late in the process occurred ...

Now if I boot from Harddisk it looks like its going into VISTA, but then an error pops up saying that an unexpected error during installation occurred, and telling me to start over!

So I did, and now I'm getting a BSOD before its even hitting VISTA install screen =(

"STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x89504E25, 0x84F57688, 0x84F57384)"

... sigh.

So I swapped out memory to 1 stick of Patriot 2x2GB PC2-6400 (4-4-4-12; 2.1v).

I also went ahead and upped the DRAM voltage to 2.1v. <fingers crossed>

Lets see if that does it.

YES the voltage DOES matter...IRQL_NOT_LESS blabla usually means its a memory issue...i.e timings r wrong or there isnt enogh voltage supplied at those settings.

Ye i suggest u key in the voltages and timing manually on the module itself
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Thanks folks - the voltage seems to have been the issue.

I imagine that must be a pretty obvious thing to most of you, but I assumed the MOBO detected and set the settings automatically. In fact, it did set the timings correctly - but it was undervolting the RAM.

New Question: I've bought the EP45-DS3L as a replaemetn for a 680i, which I had been running 4 sticks in at 1066mhz/2.2v. I note that the voltage and speed were appropriate for the sticks.

However, after about 6 months, the memory controller fried. In doing research, I learned that you cannot on a 680i run 4 sticks at those speeds & voltages or you'll fry it. This was of course not mentioned in any of the literature or such when I bought it. ..

Getting back to my point: Are there any things I need to know about my new MOBO to avoid? I purposefully only bought 800mhz DDR2 this time but can it, for example, handle 4 sticks at 800mhz with 2.2v, or will this fry it?

Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, Auto is generally not best at all, and never advised

Yes it can handle that much ram plus. 2.2V is almost always never needed, unless you are clocking past specs of the ram. When you see 2.2V it is the MAX allowed under warranty not what is needed to run the ram. Most often it will do just fine at 2.0-2.1V. Whenever I see anyone using or insisting that they run 2.2V I ALWAYS Suggest if you must to run a Fan directly over the ram as 2.2V is VERY HOT

Thread Information