Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a new system with EP45-UD3R

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Building a new system with EP45-UD3R

I think this is correct, hard to find the specs for your CPU, but I am tired

200(800) FSB x 14 right? If so, or if not the ram settings should help you either way. And yes, this board was not really built for such a processor and that was only made compatible after the fact. And without a FSB Overclock you will not get 1066 ram speed as 4.00 is your largest Ram Multi. If you can get stable and want to overclock I can for sure help you get your ram up to 1066. I know these do overclock good, I had a 925 I could do 3.8 with easy

Please do start again with optimized defaults >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 14
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.80

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 200Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 4.00C
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15/18

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................3-4
    tWTR..........................................3-6
    tWR............................................4-6
    tRFC...........................................52-62
    tRTP...........................................3-5
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................1066

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: All you man, sorry?  Auto should be good at stock though

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave for now at stock, if overclocking do not leave in Auto

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.3 (1.22-1.24 likely good)
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.55-1.6
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.14-1.2

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0-2.1
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

I appreciate the response ... I started to capture / mod the M.I.T. info but invariably it hangs in the BIOS, usually after about 15 - 30 sec. (DRAM : 5-5-5-16 @2.0V) If I cycle the PS, restart the Mobo, I can get back in (with the Overclocking / changed voltage msg) but I must believe there is something fundamentally wrong here. If I boot to BIOS shouldn't I be able to remain there for, well, forever? I could enter the modified info a couple of fields at a time and then F10, but what if that makes no difference?

Since I exhausted my interest in testing the error conditions for these components, I'm left with the belief that everything must be working correctly EXCEPT for the one component that is the oldest - the CPU. So, unless there exists within your vast store of accumulated knowledge something that is completely non-intuitive that screams don't give up yet I think I'm going to avail myself of NewEgg's free shipping and pick up a E8400. Thoughts?

Well, at least you should then have components that are known to be compatible.

The E8400 is well regarded by overclockers — can be pushed harder than the E8500, by all accounts.

You're right about the BIOS — once in it you should be able to remain there indefinitely unless there's an external interruption, and at that point the system should be in idle mode so most likely it's not power.

I suppose it's possible for one core of a dual processor to be faulty and the system still start, but fail if anything tries to access the faulty bit. Not something I've encountered myself as yet, but it could happen.

Go for E8400, you won't be disappointment, your Pentium D 820 need to lay down and rest in peace.
    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
    G
    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The issue I think is these boards were specifically launched and boldly stated compatible with VRD 11.1 CPU's and not ANY of the older ones such as this one and then only later with a updated BIOS made to be supposedly functional. I would assume they are trying to overcome a hardware limitation with software and it is just not working out.

I would assume your CPU is fine just not in this board

8400 is a superb CPU, you will be very happy for sure!

Put that 820 on ebay, it will sell for sure, likely $40-60

Okay. Today I went 60 miles out of my way to pick up a new E8400. Remove the old D 820, apply some thermal compound and I re-insert the new CPU and HSF. Clear CMOS and power it on with one stick. Get into BIOS, hit F7 (and reset the DRAM to 2.0V) Everything looks good - the 9 mulitplier took me to 3.0 G - I restarted.

Get back into BIOS AND IT STILL FREEZES UP. I tried two other sticks (one was 667 DDR2) and the same thing happens; exact same behavior as with my former CPU. I ready to send / take everything back but obviously this isn't working for me. But oh, I can only exchange the proc so I guess I have to make this work.

One thing that is interesting - I only get video when I get into BIOS - I don't get a screen unless I actually intervene - which seems wrong. GPU : XFX 8800GT Alpha Maybe some BOS setting ? Perhaps there is stuff going on that I don't see?

I just can't imagine the PS is a problem because, well, I can't .... Thermaltake PurePower 600

Back to the main point : What am I doing wrong here ? Should I just go to Best Buy, pick up a cheap card and PS and try those and see if it makes a difference???

If I had a rope I'd be at the end if it

TIA
    Last edited by zamster; 01-15-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Red face Re: Building a new system with EP45-UD3R

So I decided to troubleshoot with plastic courtesy of Best Buy. I got a new PS (500W Antec) and a new (admittedly low-end 8400) PCIe graphics card. Replaced the PS. No change (May keep it anyway). Replaced the GPU. BIG CHANGE. I saw the BIOS splash screen at soon as I applied power. Been sitting at the PS health screen for a hour and half and still responsive. I submitted a Support case with XFX to get my GPU fixed. I liked the GPU and look forward to overclocking that too.

Given there are numerous EP45-UD3R + E8400 + 1066 Memory users out there, I needn't request a template.; it's already posted.

I also downloaded Windows 7 so I look forward to dropping that on a partition.

Thanks for your help - I'll be back with more detailed OC'ing questions - maybe. There's a wealth of info here ...

Y'know, right from the jump your problems read like those that down the years I've replaced lots of low-end PSU's fo (amp starvation), but yours should have been up to the task.

Looks like the XFX card might have been pulling too much power off the motherboard, which can only supply but so much before it overloads — that's why they nearly all have auxiliary power nowadays.

Glad you finally got it fixed.

It booted immediately to a previous XP build (after re-activation) so that's pretty good. Now once I update for the new graphics card and re-install the rest of the HW, I'll DL some SW and beat on it a bit. I'll get my 8800GT in the mail and hope I get it back quickly. I don't know what the turnaround time is: Crysis awaits! Until then Resistance 2 will have to suffice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information