Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Using Windows 7, BIOS is bad?

Default Using Windows 7, BIOS is bad?

I have been using Windows 7 to much success and do not think it is relevant to my BIOS issue. I left the computer on and it probably hibernated or went to sleep at some point. When I returned to use it, it entered some rebooting loop where it would go into the pre-POST screen, then it would display
    Main BIOS checksum error

Retrieving recovery source from HPA
    then reboot.

I entered the BIOS and chose the option to use the last known good BIOS. When it rebooted, it displayed
    Award BootBlock v1.0
    and said something about loading loading a BIOS image from the HDD. Then it hangs (let it run for more than 10 minutes) and I have to hold the power button.

Opened up the case and saw that everything was running at regular speed. The lights were bright and the fans were fast. I've tried resetting the CMOS (took out the battery and connected the jumper for a good 10 minutes). I also tried each stick of RAM individually. I don't think anything is wrong with the hardware, simply a BIOS corruption, since something comes up.

I was hoping to reflash the BIOS using a floppy disk, but I can't do this until late tomorrow. Will this even work? Will it even get to the point where it reads the floppy disk? I can't access the pre-POST screen.

I'll try the RAM on a different build tomorrow and update the status on flashing via floppy. Until then, I'm leaving the cord unplugged and the CMOS battery outside.

Specs: GA-EP45-UD3R Rev 1.0, BIOS F5
    Intel E8400, E0 (overclocked)
    G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    WD WD6400AAKS
    EVGA 8800 GS
    Corsair HX520W
    Samsung SH-S223F DVD burner
    Sony MPF920 FDD
    Tried USB and PS/2 peripherals.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Using Windows 7, BIOS is bad?

Yes you can blind flash, I would try again to clear the CMOS with my method (Similar to what you did but more involved to be sure) >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Blind flash info is also posted there, you MUST have already had your Floppy connected and set as first boot device though. That is a MUST

Did you try removing your Hard drives so that is scans the Backup chip instead of the drives, worth a shot as it should with no drives connected. Are you using AHCI or RAID, if so once you get in the BIOS, in advanced BIOS features change the recovery to Backup chip instead of HPA.

Worst comes to worst PM me as I can send you Last resort method before you would have to RMA the board, it has saved MANY from RMA

Thank you for the reply. Fortunately, the floppy drive is set as my first boot device and I will try reflashing soon.

I tried disconnecting the hard drive, but to no avail. It is not running in RAID. I am unsure about AHCI; XP installed and worked, but I don't think I installed any new drivers for the HDD before booting into it.

Well if you installed XP with no drivers (F6 Method) then you are not using AHCI either.

Great to hear you did have a floppy connected, you can easily blind flash then.

If you dont have any luck clearing the CMOS or Blind flashing PM me and I will send you a link that you can try before you have to RMA

I got everything fixed and realized what the problem was. I disconnect the SATA cable from the device, but left the cable plugged in the board. I disconnected those cables and it read from the backup.

Thanks for all the help. I'm never flashing from Windows again! Even if it works for a couple weeks.

Nice to see you got it recovered! Ya please do not use windows flashing again, Qflash is safe and easy to use. Here is a Guide >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Thread Information