Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WinXP install on Sata1 rather than Sata0 - issues?

Default WinXP install on Sata1 rather than Sata0 - issues?

Just curious if it's a big deal that my new PC is set up this way - and if I should wipe/reinstall now before I get much more on it.

For whatever reason - my "C" drive is on SATA1 - not SATA0.

When I installed WinXP Pro SP3 on this new build - I had hooked up my card reader - so on the initial attempt to install WinXP - it defaulted to the "M" drive - which was a no-go for me. So I turned everything off - disconnected the USB header for the card reader - rebooted and things were fine - "C" was where WinXP was to be installed.

It was so late by then - I didn't notice that for whatever reason - my "C" drive was on SATA1 (not SATA0) - as I have 2 500gb Seagate SATA HD's in this machine.

Currently my drives are like this (each drive is partitioned):

"C & E" - SATA1
    "F & G" - SATA0
    "D" (dvd burner) - SATA2

WinXP is on "C" - logically I'd like my setup to be like this (I'm just funny that way):

"C & D" - SATA0
    "E & F" - SATA1
    "G" (dvd burner) - SATA2

Short of totally reinstalling WinXP - can I accomplish what I want - or is it a wipe/reinstall kinda thing?
    Lian Li PC-A05B case
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4ghz
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    G. Skill 4gb (2gb x 2) PC8500 Dual Channel
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512mb PCI-Express 2.0
    Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA 3.0gbs x 2
    OCZ Stealthstream 600w power supply
    ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO cpu cooler
    Sythe S-Flex 120mm 8.7db case fans x 2
    Asus DRW-20B1LT SATA dvd burner

Default Re: WinXP install on Sata1 rather than Sata0 - issues?

Personally I can't see there being anything wrong with your Logical Drive C: being on Physical Drive 2 (Sata Port 1). When I go into "Linux Distro try out mode" my Windows and Linux installs can end up on any physical drive. I've yet to have a problem with this.

In fact, because the wiring had been dressed and routed neatly in my PC, if I wanted to change the OS location from Physical Drive 1 (which is the smaller) to Physical Drive 2, ie the larger of the drives, I wouldn't physically alter anything - I would simply install to Drive 2 OR;

.... use the Acronis True Image "Images" I have of my OS (with all drivers installed) and simply and quickly restore it all in one go - wherever I want. The "Images" save a LOT of time when you are trying out different Linux Distro's and/or you want to restore you Windows Install back to it's original location or somewhere else.

At present I do have:

Drive 1 (Port 0): C -> F
    Drive 2 (Port 1): G -> M
    DVD sata (Port 3): N
    DVD ide : O

Edit:

I see you have Seagate Drives.

Seagates DiscWizard software is a customised version of Acronis True Image (certainly recent releases have been).
    I know Acronis True Image will do practically anything Clone/backup wise, but seeing this customised version is for Seagate customers, it might be worth checking it out anyway.
    Having an image of your OS with all drivers installed saves a lot of time in restoration after any type of disk/driver etc problem.
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Just checked, Seagate are still using Acronis:-
    http://www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/dw_ug.en.pdf
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-13-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll just leave it well enough alone since things seem to be running ok and I'm happy with the new rig.

One thing I found odd - after I installed WinXP Pro - I had to do the online activation thing again (I had used this WinXP disc previously on the machine this one replaced) and it just activated it without me having to call MS.

I thought once you installed Windows on a machine that if you installed it again and your hardware configuration was significantly different (entire new machine in my case) that you had to call them to get a new number or whatever to re-activate? It says my WinXP is valid and whatnot - so I'm not worried - it just seemed odd.
    Lian Li PC-A05B case
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4ghz
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    G. Skill 4gb (2gb x 2) PC8500 Dual Channel
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512mb PCI-Express 2.0
    Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA 3.0gbs x 2
    OCZ Stealthstream 600w power supply
    ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO cpu cooler
    Sythe S-Flex 120mm 8.7db case fans x 2
    Asus DRW-20B1LT SATA dvd burner

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll just leave it well enough alone since things seem to be running ok and I'm happy with the new rig.

One thing I found odd - after I installed WinXP Pro - I had to do the online activation thing again (I had used this WinXP disc previously on the machine this one replaced) and it just activated it without me having to call MS.

I thought once you installed Windows on a machine that if you installed it again and your hardware configuration was significantly different (entire new machine in my case) that you had to call them to get a new number or whatever to re-activate? It says my WinXP is valid and whatnot - so I'm not worried - it just seemed odd.
    It depends. If it was a Retail disc then it can be used on any ONE PC at a time. In the case of OEM discs anything major such as a motherboard replacement (outside it being faulty) was considered a "New PC" and there the licence would end.
    However, although XP has been given some extra life, there was talk of MS relaxing the criteria on component changes as the OS got older. I get the feeling that when XP is obsolete that MS might relinquish some or all of the activation side of things.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thread Information