Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS3L, scanning bios image problem

Default Re: EP35-DS3L, scanning bios image problem

No.
    I probably didn't make that clear in the first post.

When I put in both RAM sticks with the hard drive and dvd it starts every time, but I only get the message: "Scanning hard drive for bios image"

When I take out one RAM stick the computer does not start everytime (screen just stays black). But when I have restarted the computer about 10 times I am able to get into the bios. But it will not start win xp cd (only get a bluescreen little after the installer starts). Also the disk utility and memtest is not working

I now did a load optimized defaults in bios and was able to start samsung hdd utility tool.

edit:
    the quick surface scan went fine. doing a zero fill with low level format now.

Quote Originally Posted by ahdrage View Post
    edit:
    the quick surface scan went fine. doing a zero fill with low level format now.
    I'm assuming the drive is still connected to the problem board? It's great you can now atleast check the drive etc, but IF there were a problem where the HPA resides, zeroing the drive (as a primary drive) on a Gigabyte board won't result in that area being checked by the utility - as the HPA will still have full control.

I'm starting to wonder though if this is fully RAM related and the messages you are getting about the Hard drive are a sort of "Red Herring".

Are you running the memory at present "Underclocked" as i suggested for fault finding?

Also, after loading up the optimised defaults (as should have been done straight after a bios upgrade) adds another dimension to everything.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-14-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

The drive is still connected to the problem board yes.
    I've now finished zeroing the drive, doing a full surface scan now.

I did do "optimised default" straight after flashing the bios.
    But I changed some of the bios settings to try and make osx work. And I forgot that I had changed something when I was going to boot the diskutility.

Right now the memory is auto. Going to try and change it once surface scan is completed, and then throw in the other RAM stick.

Tried to set the RAM multiplier to 2.0 and then start the computer with both Sticks of RAM. Just getting the same "Scanning BIOS image in hard drive"

I now tried to do the RAM test with memtest86+.
    When I get boot options I get:

Boot from CDROM?
    I then press enter, next thing coming up is:

AX:0212
    BX:1A00
    CX:0001
    DX:0100.
    @X:8012

And it just keeps going over and over again like that.

I now tried to do the RAM test with memtest86+.
    When I get boot options I get:

Boot from CDROM?
    I then press enter, next thing coming up is:

AX:0212
    BX:1A00
    CX:0001
    DX:0100.
    @X:8012

And it just keeps going over and over again like that.
    I think you should just use 1 stick of ram. I thought you said before one of the sticks caused more problems?

Also those codes look like CPU registers and values. I assume you burnt just the ISO image to disk, ie "burn Image" as opposed to burn data file?

Ok, just use 1 stick of ram and try clearing the CMOS. Instructions I believe are on the sticky Qflash thread on the first page of this forum.

I'm getting lost for ideas, especially as this is a replacement board. It would have been better if you hadn't of flashed the new board without first establishing what worked and what didn't.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

That's with 1 stick of ram.
    With 2 sticks I just get "scanning hard drive for bios image".

Yeah, I burned it as ISO image.
    I shall try clearing CMOS when I get home from uni tonight.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Please link me to your ram. And then as you can get into the BIOS with one stick please give me your settings you are using. Auto may be all wrong depending on your ram, and no matter the ram a few things should be changed anyway

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    Are you using the latest BIOS? Be sure to check this also once you are in the BIOS using F9 on the MAIN page. I say that because your "Scanning Image in Hard Drive" Comments, it may have reverted back to a older BIOS from the backup chip.

Please also do let us know what CPU you have, as some CPU's are only supported by certain BIOS's and above.

Not sure if you have, but can you borrow or do you have any other DDR2 to test with as well?

That's with 1 stick of ram.
    With 2 sticks I just get "scanning hard drive for bios image".

Yeah, I burned it as ISO image.
    I shall try clearing CMOS when I get home from uni tonight.

Since that is your last comment, I have to ask this. Since it seems to work with once stick of ram can you do two simple tests for me. First of all please go into the BIOS and set Performance enhance on standard, and Static tRead on 9 for now, and then set only your RAM voltage to the spec amount you see on the ram sticker

Please mark this "Working Stick" of ram with a little mark using a marker so you KNOW Which is which always. Then please use this working stick to test the memory slots on the board one by one. Test to see if using this working stick that the board will start with the ram in any of the four slots. This is to test with KNOWN working ram if maybe you have a bad slot on the board.

Second test would be with the "Suspected" Bad stick. If the Working stick works in all slots and you feel they are all fine then go ahead with this test. Please now test the Suspected Bad stick in each slot one by one, if it does not work in any of the slots the answer is simple this stick is bad.

Memtesting the ram would be great but it may not even be necessary if you can conclude you have a bad stick or bad slot using the above tests.

As for your testing with Memtest issue, sounds to me like you maybe did not burn the ISO Correctly? Can you please if you want make a USB Stick memtest and boot from that. How to do that is mentioned here, and please read the rest of the thread from this post on so you do not make the same assumptions and mistakes I did when first making this USB memtest >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45...59/#post260605

Files and info on making a USB Bootable stick are here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

You will need this EXE file instead of the one linked there as that is a older thread >>>
    http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11...+-2.11.exe.zip

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information