Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS3L, scanning bios image problem

Default EP35-DS3L, scanning bios image problem

Hi!
    I've posted this thread at tomshardware but was given a link here to get help.
    Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.
    Here is my situation:

A few weeks ago I bought this mobo with Q6600 and 2*2gb ocz PC2 6400 DDR2 RAM. When I put it all together I booted up and got the message:
    Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright blah blah

Scanning BIOS image in Hard Drive.
    After a restart it dissapeared and I was able to boot to windows.
    Every now and then the same message would come, but it dissapeared when i rebooted.

Yesterday I was going to flash my bios. I didn't do any research on the @bios utility that Gigabyte offers, so I just used it to flash my bios.
    Everything seemed fine until I restarted the computer where I just got the message:
    Copyright blah blah

No matter how many times i restarted the computer it would not go away.
    So I copied the f5 bios version on a usb stick (formated with fat32). I also plugged out the harddrive and took out one RAM. I also removed all pci cards so only the pci-e VGA card was left.

This time i managed to get into the Q-flash (it took alot of restarts, many times the computer screen would just be black and the computer would not post) utility to flash the bios, flashing went fine and restarted.
    After alot of attempts to restart where the machine would not post, I was finally able to get into windows (this was with one piece of RAM and the harddrive connected again).

If I put the second piece of RAM inside again I only get the message:
    Copyright blah blah

It takes me atleast 10 restarts and poweroffs to get the computer to post at all. I also tried to up the voltage to the RAM to 2.0 V.
    I also tried to burn out a dvd with memtest on to test the memory, but the computer won't boot it.
    I've pulled out the battery a couple of times to reset bios, but that hasn't helped much.

I also ordered a new EP35 swapped it with the other one and booted it to bios and flashed it to f5 with qflash utility (followed the guide here on this site this time). Bios flashed perfectly, but when I restarted the computer I just got the message "scanning bios image in harddrive".
    Note that this time the computer boots every time. But I just get the scanning bios message.

Im completely lost right now. I see that with my first mobo flashing with @bios is not a good idea, but I don't understand why the computer is not working when I used another motherboard and flashed it with the qflash utility.

Any ideas?

Default Re: EP35-DS3L, scanning bios image problem

If I've read this right, youve flashed your original boards bios using the infamous @bios and then suffered bios errors at boot up? You've then replaced the board entirely, connected up and installed your original hardware and then flashed to that new boards latest bios using QFlash? - however you still get a message regarding the bios Image at bootup?

I assume you are out of Qflash or any bios utility when you see this, ie it shows up on the bios POST screen automatically?

If thats the case unless something unconnected is causing the error, the only common denominator is the hardrive (are you using just one?), where Gigabyte boards use an HPA (Hardware Protected Area) to store an image of the bios (around 1MB in size).

I wonder if for some reason that image has become corrupt.

If that is the case, the only way to totally zero fill the drive is:-

1) Make it the non primary drive, by connecting a second drive to your system as the primary drive on SATA port 0
    2) Connecting it to another PC or HD enclosure.

Zero Fill can be done using Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi Tools (Dos/Linux self bootable types) aswell as many others. Also Zero Fill won't wipe the HPA if the drive is still connected as the primary drive.

NOTE: All data will be LOST if you Zero Fill the drive, so if you do go down that route, make sure you backup what you need to keep.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-13-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for you're reply.
    Yes, I automatically get the message regarding bios image at bootup, I can't get into the bios or anything.

I'm not quite sure I follow how to zero write the disk.
    1- Connect a second drive to the system and make it the primary disk by connecting it to port 0. I understand this one.
    What do you mean by: 2- Connecting it to another PC or HD enclosure?
    Do I have to connect the harddrive to another computer to zero fill it?
    My harddrive is a Samsung F1 750GB.
    Also what is HPA?

Quote Originally Posted by ahdrage View Post
    Thanks for you're reply.
    Yes, I automatically get the message regarding bios image at bootup, I can't get into the bios or anything.

I'm not quite sure I follow how to zero write the disk.
    1- Connect a second drive to the system and make it the primary disk by connecting it to port 0. I understand this one.
    What do you mean by: 2- Connecting it to another PC or HD enclosure?
    Do I have to connect the harddrive to another computer to zero fill it?
    My harddrive is a Samsung F1 750GB.
    Also what is HPA?
    Am I right in thinking this is a Second Motherboard you are now using that boots into windows ok, yet you can't access the bios?

Could you access the bios on this new board before you upgraded the bios with Q Flash??

Re My above Post (either use option 1 OR 2),

I meant as a suggestion, as I don't know 100% for sure exactly what you've done so far or what is causing the problem as I understand it.

HPA

Aka Hidden Protected Area, Host Protected Area.....
    Host protected area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

This is my second motherboard im using yes.
    It does not boot into windows, I can't get past the "scanning for bios image in harddrive" message.

The first time i booted this second motherboard I was able to access the bios, so the first thing I did was to flash it to f5 with qflash.

So the best thing I can do since I can't get into windows is to connect it to another computer and then zero fill it? After zero fill I just connect it again and the bios message should be gone?

This is my second motherboard im using yes.
    It does not boot into windows, I can't get past the "scanning for bios image in harddrive" message.

The first time i booted this second motherboard I was able to access the bios, so the first thing I did was to flash it to f5 with qflash.

So the best thing I can do since I can't get into windows is to connect it to another computer and then zero fill it? After zero fill I just connect it again and the bios message should be gone?
    The only reason I'm linking the HardDrive to both motherboards is the fact that it is a common denominator because of the HPA and the type of message you are getting.

As long
    as your QFlash bios upgrade was successful on the replacement board, then I think you are limited on options.
    Normally you would re-enter the bios after a successful flash and load up the optimised defaults & save as part of the whole bios update procedure.

Did Q-Flash report a successful update?

So you can't enter the bios now? - What appears after the POST HD drive bios scanning message, if anything? Or does it just hang at the message now and not proceed any further?

Have you a second Hard drive you could try?

Because sometimes some weird scenarios can happen, have you tried just trying one stick of Ram on this new board. ie it may be indicating a problem with scanning the bios file on the HD, but the fault may lay somewhere else, for instance with your RAM.

Q-Flash did report a successful update.
    I now tried with only one stick of RAM, I was now able to boot into the bios and load optimized defaults.
    Is it my RAM then it's something wrong with?

Note to the last post.
    It is booting with no harddrive and dvdrom connected, and only one RAM stick connected.
    I now tried to connect harddrive and dvd, with one stick of RAM.
    I only get a black screen, the computer does not boot at all.

It semms like I now am at exactly the same spot as I was with the first motherboard.

edit: I was also able to boot after turning the computer on and off about 10 times.

Note to the last post.
    It is booting with no harddrive and dvdrom connected, and only one RAM stick connected.
    I now tried to connect harddrive and dvd, with one stick of RAM.
    I only get a black screen, the computer does not boot at all.

It semms like I now am at exactly the same spot as I was with the first motherboard.

edit: I was also able to boot after turning the computer on and off about 10 times.
    I would suggest you downloaded and burnt to CD-r Samsungs Disk Tools (Linux/dos self bootable) - but I think you said this was your only PC (re Burning memtest). Always an idea to have Software tools prepared even if you never use them.

So perhaps the bios is halting on trying to Scan the HPA because the Hard drive is at fault..

Edit:

With the board booting intermittenly, with the right software tools to hand, ie Samsungs Disk Utility and Memtest (both self booting) , you could rule out (or rule in) a lot more than you can at present.

Is there a posibility you could create these tools on another PC?
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-13-2009 at 02:49 AM.

Yeah, have another computer I can create them on.
    Will try out memtest and disk utility

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information