Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ** How to setup CPU/MCH GTL Ref Voltages Vs. EasyTune **

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ** How to setup CPU/MCH GTL Ref Voltages Vs. EasyTune **

Hmm well BIOShock is a pretty new and graphically intense game right? Did you not play it as long as others to where you would expect a error? Do you have errors graphically in PCMark 05 and or 3DMark 06?

How about this, it is freeware. See if you have any errors in this benchmark, sound must be on for score to be proper >>>
    LIGHTSMARK - next generation lighting benchmark

And please do let me know if you think that benchmark lasted long enough to where you generally get errors as it may not. If it does not, I'll find you another that would last longer and you could see. Do you watch your temps of your card when gaming, maybe it is your VGA Ram or GPU overheating?

Ya, if you are stable 100% in stability tests then no need to mess with Ref voltages. They should not affect your graphics, but I suppose it could if they were badly off, but you would know if that was the case as you would not pass stability tests

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm well BIOShock is a pretty new and graphically intense game right? Did you not play it as long as others to where you would expect a error? Do you have errors graphically in PCMark 05 and or 3DMark 06?

How about this, it is freeware. See if you have any errors in this benchmark, sound must be on for score to be proper >>>
    LIGHTSMARK - next generation lighting benchmark

And please do let me know if you think that benchmark lasted long enough to where you generally get errors as it may not. If it does not, I'll find you another that would last longer and you could see. Do you watch your temps of your card when gaming, maybe it is your VGA Ram or GPU overheating?

Ya, if you are stable 100% in stability tests then no need to mess with Ref voltages. They should not affect your graphics, but I suppose it could if they were badly off, but you would know if that was the case as you would not pass stability tests
    Yes its a pretty heavy game but it just flyes with my GTX 285 :)

I have stress tested the card even more now then before and it shows no sign of artifacting at all. have run thru looped selected test in 3D Mark 06 and Vantage and let it run over 30 min in Furmark and ATI Tool and everything seems totaly smoth, I even run Furmark + IntelBurntest together as these progs as you know is one of the most stressfull their is. and still no prob so I can safely says it must be ingame as I stated it's allways in the same spot in the games to.. say I just started up FEAR2 and my comp is cool or if I have stressed it a lot, doesent matter as the artifacts are allways in the same places, flashing textures in a door list etc!

But one damn think about my comp is if I do any changes in Bios I will get the cold boot issue, I think thats what you call it?

It's starting over and over and the only thing is to hit the power switch on the PSU and leave the comp for a few minutes then it would work normal again. very annoying problem this but exect that all is good!
    Last edited by MaxFX; 03-26-2009 at 09:29 PM.

CPU Termination (Vtt) Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

CPU Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20) .76 ET
    CPU Reference2 Voltage (.67% of Default Vtt/1.20) .80 ET
    MCH Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20) .76 ET

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    DRAM Termination Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel A Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel B Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)

If you want a higher or lower than stock % / Value for any of the above settings you will find it easier to set the Dram Voltage or Vtt back to stock (Or above or below to find and be able to choose alternate % Values), then adjust desired setting to the % / Value you wish to use.

Then once you have selected a % range you want to use for said setting then go back and raise your Vtt or Dram Voltage back to what you choose to use and the corresponding settings will self adjust and still be set to the .xx % amount that you set them to.
    Are these figures also true for the X48 boards? This post is the only thing I've found that explains what the default MCH voltage is, and goes beyond references to the +.2, etc, range in the bios.

NO this only applies to P45 boards.

As none of those settings are in X48, only CPU Ref. FSB May be Vtt, but I am not sure if CPU Ref is affected by FSB Voltage in X48,you would need to manually set the FSB Voltage and then CPU Ref, then change FSB Voltage and see if CPU ref follow suit. If it does not then the mentioned rules would not apply.

MCH Voltages are not the same either for X48 and P45 so this would not explain any of your voltages defaults to you, so don't confuse yourself.

X48 voltages for MCH Can be found in these documents at Intel
    Intel X48 Express Chipset - Technical Documents

Specifically this one, page 223 (1.25 is default MCH Core voltage)
    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319122.pdf

I am not sure I understand the whole thing well. If I don't want to keep resetting the PC and changing stuff in the BIOS, it's best to set VTT to default, so ET shows the correct values and I don't need to recount them?

You can set Vtt to anything you like, this method of changes ONLY applies to things if you are wanting to tweak MCH Ref, otherwise you can set Vtt to anything you like and just leave MCH Ref in Auto

Hum.
    So if I move VTT in ET, does it change the ref as well just like the BIOS does, or not?

Yes, if you are speaking about MCH or CPU Ref, then yes. If you have it set to Auto, when you change Vtt in easytune the Ref voltage will automatically be scaled at .76V or 63%

You will not see a change in easytune though as it would still always be at .76 until you change that amount in the BIOS

Aha, I've got it manually set to something in the BIOS.
    I guess if I want to tweak and try when at work with no access to the BIOS, it's better to keep it on auto :)
    On the other hand .76 MCH ref doesn't work much for me, so perhaps it is not a way to go either.

Ahh, well there may be your confusion. If you manually set it in the BIOS, Easytune will always show that amount (Same as Auto / .76 too)

Auto will always be .76 of Vtt amount. If you are wanting to really test MCH Ref, which I believe is key to stability in P45, then your best bet is to start testing manually. Set .68-.74 MCH Ref, testing various Vtt amounts through all of those MCH Ref's.

Normally for a dual core .68-.72 would be best I have found.

But you really will need to test it all yourself should you decide to tinker with this setting, and I do advise it really.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information