Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: display issue, and diagnostic LEDs

Default display issue, and diagnostic LEDs

hi all,

hoping that someone here will be able to help with a problem i have or at least help to explain some things to me.

i've just built a PC last week, with a EP45-DS3P mobo, 8800GTS 320MB vid card and using a couple of 300GB Maxtor hard drives that i had spare. RAM is nothing special - just Kingston 2x 2GB sticks.

now i installed the Windows 7 Beta on the weekend... but even before that i was having troubles with the display just getting all garbled, first when i was playing Fallout 3, and then when i was just browsing the 'net a message would pop up along the lines of "Windows Nvidia driver kernal had and error and has recovered" - the display would flicker on and off, but eventually it would just jam the system or crash.

i thought the video card could be overheating, so i took it out, took it apart as much as i could and there was a little bit of dust that i blew out. but then after i put it back in the display problem didn't really get any better... and eventually i couldn't even boot into Windows, it would just garble the login screen.

i installed Ubuntu last night - which seemed to go okay... until i activated the Linux Nvidia driver and it just froze... then could not boot Linux either.

after that things got worse - there were artifacts appearing on the POST screen, and even when i went F12 to boot from the LiveCD that screen was getting garbled....

i used the PC in safe mode a little bit last night after that - and it had a bunch of big vertical coloured lines on the screen... i've got pics of some of this stuff that i can post up a bit later from work, if it would be helpful.

now the more confusing bit - i checked the diagnostic LEDs on the mobo, and the SATA and IDE LED's were lit up blue. i don't know if they change colour or if lit up just means there's a problem? well i don't even have anything IDE installed, and i swapped the SATA ports around, still the same - unplugged all the SATA connectors from the mobo and rebooted - still the SATA and IDE LEDs were on. and inbetween all of this the PCI LED came on randomly (which again, is not even used, since i have a PCI-E gfx card and no PCI card is installed). also when i started up with all SATA unplugged, the CPU diagnostic LED flashed on briefly.

so i was wondering - does it mean anything if those lights flash on briefly, or should they stay on for how long? could it just be the SATA and IDE controllers starting up, causing the LED's to come on?

i read on another forum about someone having problems... seems that his problem were related to putting the PC into hibernate, or sleep. I tried this the first night i had it built, and it just came back on straight away. well his solution was to start up without the CMOS battery in, use last known good setting - then shut down - put the battery back in and start up normally and apparently all was well for him. i tried this and made no difference.

one last thing - i got this 8800GTS off my bro, his old card. what are the chances that the card is just past it's use by date? he did mention something about some oily stuff on it when he stopped using it... but i don't know what that could be...???

i was going to get a copy of Vista to install, but i'm now thinking that's pointless because of the garbled screen now in POST.

well if anyone has any ideas i'd be glad to hear them. even if i can just find out about those diagnostic LEDs. i'm at my wits end here. thanks for any help.

2. Default Re: display issue, and diagnostic LEDs

Sounds like the video card is over heating. Might be a dumb question - is the fan on the video card running when the computer is power up? If so is the heatsink mounted correctly to the video card? If so then I'd recommend taking off the heatsink and reapplying new thermal compound.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
    Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    Corsair 400W PSU

Default Re: display issue, and diagnostic LEDs

haha, not a dumb question.

the video card fan is running on startup. i'll see if i can download a Nvidia utility to set fan speed, see if i can crank it up to full and see if that helps. only problem is that i can't even load Windows normally to install anything... may have to start from a fresh install...

i did try and take the heatsink off the video card when i was cleaning it... but it seems that it's fairly well stuck on there. i didn't want to break anything. any tips for taking it off the board?

or the other option is just getting a new video card. that 8800 is a bit old, and 2nd hand now, i wouldn't mind getting a new one but i just want to be sure that it's not another problem.

what do you think about the mobo and the diagnostic LEDs?

4. Default Re: display issue, and diagnostic LEDs

Heatsink compound will come right off with a bit of rubbing alcohol. You can probably do a little gentle twisting and prying (not too much) and get it off. If it's stuck on that good it probably the means the compound is old and dry. If the card is old and easily replaceable, you dont have much to lose. I have no idea what the lights mean, sorry.

I took the stock heatsink off my 7600GT and replaced it with an old CPU heatsink. It looks funny and covers all my PCI slots, but it works much better than the stock HSF :-)
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
    Corsair 400W PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If you can't seem to get it off to replace the thermal compound (And please do use NON Conductive when you do replace it) you can heat up the card from the back with a blow dryer, that should loosen up the paste a bit. Then a snug twist/pull should get it off for you provided you have all the necessary screw out of it.

But ya, it sounds to me to as if either the GPU or Video Ram is overheating. If you could get into windows again I would suggest you install RivaTuner and crank up the fan and see if the issues seem to get any better. If they do then it just may well be a heat issue which new paste would likely help with alot.

About the LED's yes it is normal for those and others to flash or be on while you are in the BIOS, starting the board, or in DOS or any other NON windows environment.

By chance if you can still read the BIOS you may also want to add some SB Voltage to see if that helps things any >>>

ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< set 1.55-1.6
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Set 1.14-1.22

And I should ask as well, is your PSU good enough for this card?

hey Lsdmeasap,

sorry i should have mentioned - it's a 550W power supply.

well i tried to get another video card to try in my new PC, but all the older ones around here just don't have any cards that are compatible.

i figure that it is most likely the 8800 i've got because of the POST screen not displaying correctly. so i'm going to check some reviews and benchmarks then pick up a new card tomorrow and give that a try. oh BTW i've been a Mac person since '02, so if anyone wants to recommend a high-end gaming card, feel free...

and just about those diagnostic LEDs, i'm curious, because the manual didn't exactly say - but how long/when should they be on if you do have a real problem? they should stay on after you've booted, while you're just using the computer?

7. Default Re: display issue, and diagnostic LEDs

I forgot to mention that my video card had a few capacitors that popped and caused some lock-ups. I'm am electronics tech so I spotted it right away, but I suppose it could be easy to miss. Check to see if the top of caps are split open, leaking or bulging. Let me know if you need assistance identifying the caps and stuff.

I found a pic of bad caps (one good one on top right)
    http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...T/100_6177.jpg
    Last edited by thebiggiantkevin; 01-14-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
    Corsair 400W PSU

well i just had a quick look this morning... no popped capacitors on the 8800.

oh i also thought i'd post this up... i thought it was funny. i took out an old 9550 from another computer last night to try and test the video cards (of course nothing was compatible so couldn't test anything...)

what happens to an old video card when you just leave it in a computer for a few years and don't even look at it... you get a surprise when you finally do.

sorry for the bad quality but you get the idea. haha.

well after the failed attempt to test some different video cards in my new system, i just went and picked up a new 4870 yesterday. popped that in last night (and tidied up a mess of cables from the rushed initial setup...) and everything went a-ok. sweeeet.

so looks like it was the video card. i'm wondering what to do with the old 8800? should i try to take the heatsink off and apply some new thermal compound in an effort to correct any overheating? i'm thinking it can replace that old 9550 in the lounge PC with a few other new parts?

10. Default Re: display issue, and diagnostic LEDs

Glad you got it running. You have nothing to lose by trying to replace the heatsink compound. It will be a good learning experience. Just twist/pry off the heatsink, clean the old compound with rubbing alcohol, and apply a very small (grain of rice size) amount of new compound. Slap the heatsink back on and see what happens. Good luck :-)
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
    Corsair 400W PSU

Thread Information