Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple problems after changing PSU

Default Multiple problems after changing PSU

Two weeks ago I built a new system with the following components:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
    Core 2 Quad 9300
    4 2GB OCZ DDR2 1066 memory
    HIS HD 4850 Turbo IceQ4
    Vista 64 Premium, dual booting with Win XP Pro
    IDE controller card (for old existing drives)
    Seagate SATA 500GB hard drive

I kept the following from the old PC:

3 IDE hard drives
    IDE DVD burner
    floppy drive
    650 watt PSU

After everything was finally up and running, the power supply died Friday. I replaced it with a 750 watt PC Power and Cooling unit, and that's when the problems started.

On the post screen, I got the "The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or voltage changes" message, though I hadn't (and couldn't have) changed anything since the PSU died.

Now, XP will get to the logo screen, but will never fully load.

Vista 64 takes up to 30 minutes to load, and then stutters for another 30 minutes. After that it seems to work fine. I played Mass Effect for an hour, made a render in a graphics app, and there were no issues. I would reinstall windows anyway, but can't because:

The IDE DVD drive is no longer recognized, even after swapping cables, changing jumpers, and trying a different drive. I think it used to be listed in the BIOS, before the PSU died, but is no longer there.

So... I dunno if the sudden death of the first PSU, or the addition of the more powerful new PSU caused this. Or maybe the voltages are way off now? Could my motherboard have been damaged somehow?
    Last edited by Radical JC; 01-15-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Default Re: Multiple problems after changing PSU

I just upgraded my cpu and motherboard. A couple of questions.

1.) are you doing a clean Install of windows?
    2.) are you overclocking?
    3.) Have you tried to boot with your old cpu?
    4.) Are you saying everthing was running fine until the old power supply crapped out?

# 4 is probably the worse case scenario. It might have fried something(MB, CPU). I hope not. You can try to set all your bios settings back to default and double check your Mem voltages. I would try stripping all the new stuff out and using your old video card, ram(if same as old).
    I have figured out computer problems are just a "process of elimination". I can't see the new PS doing anything.

I upgraded from your GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 to a GIGABYTE ep45 ud3r and E4300 to E8400. I had no issues with my upgrade. I did have to adjust my memmory voltage in the setup. Windows also required me to re-register my Vista for some reason. I used my old harddrive with vista already on it. I had to install the drivers from the Gig cd.
    Last edited by mptoledo; 01-15-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Did you try loading optimized defaults?
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

It is a clean install of both XP and Vista, and there is no overclocking. The FSB was incorrectly listed as 266 in the Bios, so I set it to 333. I adjusted the memory voltage as well. those were the only tweaks.

the other CPU is an AthlonXP that won't fit this socket.

I did try the optimzed defaults at first, and there was no change.

The stuttering came back just now after I tried to start Mass Effect again. Don't know if that's an indication of something or not.
    Last edited by Radical JC; 01-15-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Have you tried to eliminate things from the equation? ie before looking at the dual boot side to your setup, perhaps running memtest would be a good idea, just so you have a point of reference.

Version 2.11 Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

I've only just learned about memtest; I'll have to try it tonight.

Everything was running perfectly until the PSU died. The PC just suddenly shut off. I turned it back on, and it tried to restart several times briefly, then finally there was no power. When I installed the new power supply and booted, there was power, but all of the new problems as well.

The fact that it won't recognize any drive connected to the IDE port worries me. It makes me think there is now something physically wrong with the board now. If I exchanged it, I'm not sure I could re-register my OEM version of Vista with that kind of drastic change to the system.

My old components are *old* and might not be compatible with the board for testing (certainly not the videocard), so those options are somewhat limited. I'll do what I can do. I've seen a handful of voltage guides here, and have only changed a few things lately, with no improvement. the rest are the optimized defaults or set to "auto."
    Last edited by Radical JC; 01-15-2009 at 02:21 AM.

The fact that it won't recognize any drive connected to the IDE port worries me. It makes me think there is now something physically wrong with the board now.
    Unfortunately that can't be ruled out.

What you may need to do, is to clear the Cmos, just incase your board did survive but the bios became corrupt etc..

There are a number of things you can try to help narrow down what the likely cause is, before you cast the blame on the motherboard.

Out of interest, what was the make and model of your original Power Supply? Be useful to know how well it adhered to the ATX standard and what protection/s it had (or didn't have)
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-15-2009 at 02:25 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

I'll have to look up the specifics later, but it was a Logisys (sp?) 650 watt. the problem was that it was incorrectly vented--instead of out the back of the case, it had a fan that was designed to be vented out of the top of the case. I just turned it upside down and vented it into the case. it ran like that for about 3 months in the old setup, and several days in the new one. A mistake, i know now.

I may need a walkthrough for clearing the CMOS, unless it's in the manual.
    Is there a way to test the CPU for damage, like a memtest for CPUs?

Gig cmos clear is simple, just a jumper on the board and in the manual.
    Does your gigabyte have dual bios? if so you can use that.

I believe that it does. I'll have to check into that tonight, then the overnight memtest. The sudden problem with the IDE port does not make it sound promising, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information