Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-DS4 and Vista raid 0 problems

Default GA-EX58-DS4 and Vista raid 0 problems

Hello,

I have setup raid 0 on the bios, under Ctrl+I, and it all seems fine, I have installed Windows Vista 64bit with the driver on the DVD and was able to install it correctly and had no problem at all.

I have two disks 1TB each, and windows even recognize them right, as one disk.

My problem is that I think windows is using other raid, other than 0, since I have used ~260gb and it shows that I have used 540.

Is there a way to confirm this? If so is there a way to fix it?

Also when I try to open GygaByte raid configurer I get an error saying "GBB36X Raid Device not found!" and I have it installed.

Thank in advance.
    Last edited by NunoRamiro; 01-16-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX58-DS4 and Vista raid 0 problems

You have installed Intel Raid not Gigabyte, so that is why the Gigabyte RAID Program will not work for you. You need to install the Intel Matrix program for Intel RAID >>>

Second link
    IntelĀ® Matrix Storage ManagerĀ*Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager

You have me confused with your main question though. But you can easily go into the RAID ROM (Control + I) and see what RAID is setup. Just go check it out.

What are you looking at that has you concerned about 260 vs 540?

Well the question is that I have Raid 0 Setup on the board, but windows is using twice as much hard disk as it should. So I was wondering if windows is not considering that I'm on some other kind of Raid or something like that, or if there is a way to see what kind of raid windows thinks I'm using.

Thanks

If you go into the Intel Matrix Storage Manager from windows you can see how big it thinks the volume is that can be used by windows. It will also tell you what kind of raid is set up (0 vs. 1).

In either case, if you wrote only 260gb of data it shouldn't show that you wrote 540gb. If you have RAID 0 then you should have 2 TB of disk available and should only have used 260gb, if you used 1 it should show 1tb available and only used 260gb. You can't do 0/1 because you only have two disks.

I'm guessing that your problem is vss, not the RAID setup. Google Volume Shadow Copy to see how to configure it, it can also tell you how much space it is using. Here's a quick link to get you started:

Techworld.com - Storage in the shadows with VSS

Hope that helps.

Ivan

Oh you are probably right, I knew about VSS but didn't know it could eat so much space.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Information