Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Urgent help..bios checksum Error

Exclamation Urgent help..bios checksum Error

My EP45-DS3P was working for the past week, then suddenly it decides to go into an endless loop of loading the backup BIOS.

I didnt in any way modify the bios at all and neither did i flash it!!

What could be wrong? I hope i dont need to rMA since this setup is still fairly new.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Default Re: Urgent help..bios checksum Error

Likely that a couple of values needed to be changed in the bios to fully accomodate your RAM.

Perhaps with everything at Auto the ram was on the threshold of working. Alternatively one or both sticks could be faulty.

Ideally you need to just try one stick at a time, to see if it will boot. If it doesn't you could move on to clearing the Cmos and still just using one stick.

Obviously other things could be at fault, but seeing memory can cause a multitude of problems and it's one of the easiest to troubleshoot with, i'd go with that option first.

Edit:

I hadn't noticed the Checksum error in your post title - sorry. It looks like your bios has become corrupt for whatever reason. If you can't enter it at all, you could try clearing the CMOS and also minimising the system by using one stick of Ram.
    Ideally a bios Re-Flash might be required and short of a blind flash, your options are limited.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-16-2009 at 11:23 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

BIOS checksum error is a normal thing as well sometimes and may not mean anything bad. You may just need to load optimized or properly setup your ram with only one stick installed.

Please do see here for my method of Clearing your CMOS, and some info about Checksum errors and what may cause them >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Once you clear your CMOS I would suggest you Qflash your BIOS to the latest BIOS for your board. And please do this with only one stick of ram installed.

I would also be testing your ram one stick at a time before you do this process in another system if you can, if not then in your system if you can boot to DOS still >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If you cannot get your CMOS cleared or if you cannot get past this checksum screen PM me and I will send you a last resort link before you would have to RMA. This process has saved many boards, and WILL cause a checksum error as well, but this is what you want as it will then allow you to choose from a set of last used settings or enter Qflash and update your BIOS. This would be the screen you should hope to see from any of the above, or the process I may PM you >>>

If you can get to this screen you should not need a RMA, just choose last known good, default or F1 to continue the boot and then use the End Key to enter Qflash

whatever i try, it just keeps looping the screen where it says "backup BIOS checksum error...repairing the bios" or something lyk that and i cant even enter bios or Qflash.

Pressing del and F9 didnt work either =.=" it says entering setup no the bottom wen i press del but afterwards it says the repairing bios crap and automatically reboots the computer.

I dont think i can fix this anymore, ive decided to RMA the board since i desperately need my comp.

thanks for the help anyway.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

ok its done...RMA in a day :) luckly the store just swapped the motherboad for a new one in the package.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

BTW, I see you have Thermaltake 430watt PSU in your Sig. Did you have another recent thread about this?

I did remember looking up Thermaltake PSU's on another thread recently and some of them around the 400watt mark have very weak 12volt rail/s.

Personally I'd look at that before connecting it up to your replacement motherboard.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

yeha i hav that 430W PSU...its 12V RAIL is only 18A!

but it has worked for the past few systems aswell, my old pc has a P35-DS4

+ core 2 duo E6550.

I assumed 18A was enough cause i dont think my computer would draw more than 200W on the 12V rail anyway, and my psu hasnt given me any problems yet.
    [im just hoping nothing will go wrong =.="]

btw my idle temps for E8400 is around ~36-40C is that correct? my ambient temperature is around > 23C->40C [due to it being summer over here].
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by randomness View Post
    yeha i hav that 430W PSU...its 12V RAIL is only 18A!

but it has worked for the past few systems aswell, my old pc has a P35-DS4

+ core 2 duo E6550.

I assumed 18A was enough cause i dont think my computer would draw more than 200W on the 12V rail anyway, and my psu hasnt given me any problems yet.
    [im just hoping nothing will go wrong =.="]

btw my idle temps for E8400 is around ~36-40C is that correct? my ambient temperature is around > 23C->40C [due to it being summer over here].
    Compared to other CPU's the E8xxx 45nm are fairly frugal, too is the 9600GT, but 18Amps is still low. Your hard drives will be consuming (as a peak) upto 5amps on startup alone, although that will drop down to a total of around 1.5amps for standard R/W in windows.
    Taking everything into account, startup will draw quite a lot of current, even with the e8400 CPU.
    Just makes me wonder if the voltages drop during the bootup time and/or the power becomes "dirty" and your board and components are put under less than perfect conditions.

Case temperature, age of PSU and quality of PSU will all affect the originally rated 18amp capacity.

Because you hadn't changed anything...
    My EP45-DS3P was working for the past week, then suddenly it decides to go into an endless loop of loading the backup BIOS.

I didnt in any way modify the bios at all and neither did i flash it!!
    It would be a pain if you find the replacement board suffers the same fate. Then again your PSU might be fine and I'm the last person to advocate oversized PSU's. But nevertheless it's something I feel you should be aware of.

Checkout this link an remember to add a bit for ageing (drop down box). Also this Lite calculator doesn't give the breakdown per rail (ie 3.3, 5 & 12v), but be assured most of the loading will be towards the 12volt line.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

If you also say look at the Corsair VX450, that has a 12volt rail rated at 33Amps, almost twice as much as the Thermaltake.
    http://www.corsairmicro.com/
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-17-2009 at 10:35 PM.

bloody hell!!! my new board...has the same ERROR!!! WAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH IT!!! wat COULD be the culprit??? could it be windows vista?? or could it really be my PSU causing a BIOS corruption???

This was a new board! totally ne from the package...it worked last night until i turned off the power.

now its not working again....
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Thread Information