Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45 ds4 problems, memory?

Default EP45 ds4 problems, memory?

Hey,

just bought some new parts for my computer:

intel core 2 duo e8400
    GB EP45 ds4
    geforce 9800 gtx

inserted 4gb om my old pc6400 4x1gb sticks of the brand Team (?)

i had some previous trouble with those sticks, but i thought it was my old motherboard. if i used all sticks at once on the old board the system wouldnt boot at all.

Anyways, after installing the new components and booting up i instantly got a bluescreen when vista 64 launched (barely saw the desktop) followed by an automatic reboot. After that i got a black screen with a few white pixles instead of the welcome-screen if i tried to boot up in normal mode. Im currently using safe mode, but the system is very unstable and if i do anything that takes some juice (like copying big files from one HD to the other, or visiting some websites), it freezes almost instantly.

I suspect its some kind of memory issue, so i ran the memory check on vista's install disc but no errors were found. I managed to get the latest chip-set drivers as well as grafics drivers.

anyone encountered something familiar?

Default Re: EP45 ds4 problems, memory?

First of all, have you made a clean Windows install? It's a bad idea not doing so.

And second, are you using Auto settings for everything in the BIOS?. If you search a little, in any post with 4GB of RAM, the recommendation is to set manually the MCH voltage and the memory timings and voltage, as auto is a bit too optimistic.
    Search for any post with your CPU, a P45 board and 4GB of memory and you'll find good settings for that.

no i havent made a fresh windows installation, was planning to do it, but im not quite sure it would help.

ok ill try look for those settings, thanks a lot!

ok heres an update:

i increased MCH core to 1.220v and trfc to 54, but it didnt help.

however sometimes when i reboot im not even able to launch safe mode. To be able to launch safe mode again i have to remove/add memory sticks it seems, then it works for a while again (safe mode). Same problem remains even if i use 2 sticks instead of 4.

i was going to try a fresh install, but the installation software froze and rebooted before it even got started, so i dont think i dare try again...
    Last edited by kasqa; 01-20-2009 at 04:46 AM.

forget about getting your old system running properly on fresh hardware, the difference is just too much and you'll end up putting in the same amount of effort as for a new system without the benefit of fast&fresh;

are you using a decent power supply?
    i just made very good experience with upgrading to 2x2GB DDR-2 800 RAM combined with a PSU upgrade, i didn't have to raise a single millivolt and am running stable on the fastest specified settings (a bit above actually)
    (i did remove the cap off the auxiliary power connector on the board and connected the full 8 pin cable - might have helped)
    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
    32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    Seasonic G-550

I guess you have set your memory timings and voltage manually. Check the manufacturer settings in the modules or in the web page.
    When you have that set, I would test one stick of memory at a time, with memtest86+, to find out if any of them are faulty.

got a corsair 520W, dont know really if its enough... and yeah i dont expect my old installation to work perfectly but everytime before when ive replaced a few parts it has atleast always launched properly. and as i said, even the installation software for vista is unstable, so id rather not ruin this installation by trying to install fresh when i dont even know whats wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by peribo View Post
    I guess you have set your memory timings and voltage manually. Check the manufacturer settings in the modules or in the web page.
    When you have that set, I would test one stick of memory at a time, with memtest86+, to find out if any of them are faulty.
    so i ran several tests with memtest86+

tried with 2 sticks in a pair, and the test made 2 passes without any error.
    switched to the other 2 sticks with the same result.
    then i tried with all 4 sticks, the test then froze twice at test #5

i also used different channels in the first two tests to make sure there wasnt any problems there.

Then it's quite clear you need to increase your memory timings and/or voltage.

Check this post. It's a thread with a similar configuration to what you have.

Where you find a range in the suggested settings, try with the higher value first.

Have in mind that the memory is not the same as yours, so you have to change the memory multiplier from 3.20B to 2.40B for 800MHz. You should also change the main memory timings and DRAM voltage and put your memory values.

Quote Originally Posted by peribo View Post
    Then it's quite clear you need to increase your memory timings and/or voltage.

Check this post. It's a thread with a similar configuration to what you have.

Where you find a range in the suggested settings, try with the higher value first.

Have in mind that the memory is not the same as yours, so you have to change the memory multiplier from 3.20B to 2.40B for 800MHz. You should also change the main memory timings and DRAM voltage and put your memory values.
    Ok, i set the memory multiplier to 2.40B and dram voltage at 2v, increased all those first 4 choices in the advanced timing meny, to 7, 14, 14, 58 or something. I now pass test5, and windows almost booted up in normal mode, got a bluescreen and restart (atleast thats an improvement). but i guess the installation could be corrupt, and when i have more time ill try doing some more stability tests in safe mode. Btw how do you get those fancy bios prints? it might be easier for you to see if something is wrong that way :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information