Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Newbie with a few questions.

Default Newbie with a few questions.

Hello,

Sorry if this sounds repetitive to all you experienced computer gurus out there but being that I am a complete newbie (only took me 43 years to get here) I need some of your experienced advice.

I received all my parts to build my computer:
    i7-920 with a x58-udr3 motherboard, patriot viper 4 gb ram, 2 wd black HDDs, samsung DVD, sapphire 4850 video card and a D-link network card.

I have read all the way through the motherboards user manual. I then ran across this site concerning not using @BIOS.

I am not a hardcore gamer nor do I want to overclock, just simply use the computer for everything else.

My question is, do you have a list of items I should be aware of before I follow the users manual to install my BIOS?

At first I was very hestitant on building my first PC simply because of having to go into and set BIOS functions. Since I have read through the manual it all seems quite simple as long as you use the default settings and if that is all you suggest then thats good enough for me. I was just currious and wanted to make sure there was nothing else I should do before I complete the installation of my BIOS. Oh, and as for having 2 HDDs, I was going to put Windows XP Pro and system folders on the smaller HDD and all the rest of my crap on the other. I dont think I need to set them up in a RAID or do I?

Thanks for reading.

Default Re: Newbie with a few questions.

There is no need to "install" the BIOS on your motherboard as it already comes with one, all ready to boot. However, if there was a recent BIOS version released that addresses a problem you are having, then you will need to "flash" the BIOS - which just means update it. This "flashing" procedure can be done via several methods, but the most reliable and least risky is to use qFlash which you access by pressing a F-key during boot.

My motherboard came with the latest version of the BIOS, so no upgrade was necessary. I would imagine yours is the same way. Upon first boot, just choose "load optimized" defaults. This will get you up and running in very short order.

For further information, see the sticky post at the top of this Forum about Qflash.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Marker View Post
    There is no need to "install" the BIOS on your motherboard as it already comes with one, all ready to boot. However, if there was a recent BIOS version released that addresses a problem you are having, then you will need to "flash" the BIOS - which just means update it. This "flashing" procedure can be done via several methods, but the most reliable and least risky is to use qFlash which you access by pressing a F-key during boot.

My motherboard came with the latest version of the BIOS, so no upgrade was necessary. I would imagine yours is the same way. Upon first boot, just choose "load optimized" defaults. This will get you up and running in very short order.

For further information, see the sticky post at the top of this Forum about Qflash.
    Copy, thanks. I didn't mean to install the BIOS, what I really meant was to go through the CMOS settings and stuff and was wondering if I just use the default settings or what so I guess I will just use the default settings. As for the 2 HDDs, should I put the OS on the smaller drive and everything else on the large drive? One is 500gb and one is 1 TB.

there are two levels of CMOS settings. One is Fail Safe Defaults which is useful if your PC won't even boot up under normal circumstances. The preferred "default" is to "Load Optimized Defaults."

OS should go on the smaller capacity drive for sure unless you have reason to go the other way around. One reason you might do that is to have a 1TB primary drive and then the 500GB drive for disk image backups.

there are two levels of CMOS settings. One is Fail Safe Defaults which is useful if your PC won't even boot up under normal circumstances. The preferred "default" is to "Load Optimized Defaults."

OS should go on the smaller capacity drive for sure unless you have reason to go the other way around. One reason you might do that is to have a 1TB primary drive and then the 500GB drive for disk image backups.

Thanks. One question though, besides the OS what else should I put on the smaller drive? I normally have around 6 gb of familiy photos and around 15 bg of music and all my programs loaded on to my single drive for now, when I get this computer built I was wondering how to divid my drives as to what drive should have what on it. Thanks.

500GB seems like plenty for your needs. You could put everythign on that drive, and then use the 1TB for backups maybe, and extra music?

I have three 250GB drives. The first has OS, programs, music, and pictures... basically everything. The second has nothing but Flight Simulator. The third drive I use for backups of the first drive (usually disk images created with Acronis True Image).

500GB seems like plenty for your needs. You could put everythign on that drive, and then use the 1TB for backups maybe, and extra music?

I have three 250GB drives. The first has OS, programs, music, and pictures... basically everything. The second has nothing but Flight Simulator. The third drive I use for backups of the first drive (usually disk images created with Acronis True Image).

Thanks, I'll need to look into a backup program. Never had one in the 9 years we had our old computer but you never know when you may need it I suppose. Should I partion the main drive?

I've never been a fan of partitioning. If your drive goes bad, a partition won't help you. I just think it's simpler to deal with 1 partition.

I've never been a fan of partitioning. If your drive goes bad, a partition won't help you. I just think it's simpler to deal with 1 partition.

Makes since I guess.

Thread Information