Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU choice for my Gigabyte board: stability & low noise?

Default PSU choice for my Gigabyte board: stability & low noise?

Before we get into this, I wanted to ask: what PSU "rail" powers the RAM? Im checking PSU specs and test results. What rail powers the RAM? Im concerned about stable voltage for ram - is that a vaild concern?

Due to the many drives that i use as file libraries on my workstation, OC'ing, and new video board power requirements, I orderd a 750W Corsair TX PSU

Im concerned that the Corsair 750TX that I ordered has horrible test results for noise, ripple, and voltage drops:

here: AnandTech: Corsair TX750W Power Supply

Should I be concerned? I AM!

ps: I want to return my Corsair for a PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W. Even my old fav Antec has so many DOA's on Newegg orders. PC Power & Cooling does too - but at least they have have a handle on voltage stability. Comparing the ripple/noise is strange - the visuals look so vastly different. Corsair 750 is horrible, PCPC looks "furry" lol Will Ebay let me return the Corsair and get the PC Power & Cooling?

GA-EP45-UD3R
    Mushkin 1066 RAM (2v)

Default Re: PSU choice for my Gigabyte board: stability & low noise?

I wouldn't read too much in to what Anandtech say. Go to JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - News for indepth PSU reviews by people who understand electronics.

Tx750
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=Story&reid=73

You can also get feedback from their forums.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Not much better! ...the 2 reviews both cite so-so voltage regulation and considerable ripple noise ESP under load. Guru observed funky artifacts on oscilloscope!

Not encouraging! Also guru criticiZed the 750TX's cooling design!

Sounds like a big 750w dud : (

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Not much better! ...the 2 reviews both cite so-so voltage regulation and considerable ripple noise ESP under load. Guru observed funky artifacts on oscilloscope!

Not encouraging! Also guru criticiZed the 750TX's cooling design!

Sounds like a big 750w dud : (
    I disagree. If you read the JG forums you'll see (for various reasons) that the TX750 gets good praise.

The other thing you are missing here, is that the TX750 (as per all PSU's) compete at a price point and aslong as they perform as they are advertised and within the ATX specification then there isn't a problem. Considering there are may PSU's out there that don't perform as per their advertising suggests, they are the ones to avoid.

Now if you want to better the ripple values, which are say already within the ATX standard, then thats up to you. But you may end up paying more for that (uneccessarily) or you could lose out on another favourable aspect, because of the price point.

I can understand you wanting to get the best product for your cash, but you shouldn't become fixated on say "ripple" values when they are clearly within the ATX specification. (Often well within)
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Put it on a quality high powered UPS with AVR, and watch that ripple disappear.

Good points yet PCPC unit is also sale but has better more stable voltage and less ripple less noise - and maybe cheaper on special!

Could you show me a UPS with good AVR circuitry ...a good value pls.

As I read reviews, I realize that ratings for "packaging" and "aesthetics" mean NOTHING to me! I want stable, clean power. Its like a toilet - I just want one that works well lol

8. Default Re: PSU choice for my Gigabyte board: stability & low noise?

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Im concerned that the Corsair 750TX that I ordered has horrible test results for noise, ripple, and voltage drops:

here: AnandTech: Corsair TX750W Power Supply

Should I be concerned? I AM!
    DO NOT BE CONCERNED!!!!! IS A FINE PSU. I HAVE SAME PSU AND IT'S ROCK STABLE! And as far as noise is concerned... what noise?! Don't believe in every test results you read in the Net.

Johnny Rook
    System Components: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4,0Ghz; Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (X58-EXTREME F12 BIOS); Sapphire HD5970 2GB OC Edition; Western Digital Blue 500GB; Seagate 7200.12 1000MB; 6GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3; DVD-RW LG; Corsair TX750W
    Watercooling System: EK-Supreme Skt 1366 WaterBlock + EK backplate Skt 1366; Kit EK-FB GAX58 WaterBlocks; Aqua-Computer AquagratiX 5970 WaterBlock; 360mm Thermaltake radiator; 360mm BI Stealth X-Flow radiator; Laing MCP355 pump; EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Plexi
    Danger Den Plexi E/S 1/2" reservoir; 4x A.C. Ryan UV 120mm; 3x Tacens Ventus PRO ICE 120mm; 2x NoiseBlocker Black Silent XE2 92mm; Liquid Cooling FESER Black; FESER tubing 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD; Enzotech Compression Fittings G 1/4

This is my UPS...

Newegg.com - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W 8 Outlets UPS - UPS

...plenty of headroom for a decent rig and a big monitor.

Not audible noise - line noise!

My new question is : does noise, ripple and voltage drop even within ATX outer range have any detrimental affect on components?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information