Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3ware RAID Card on EP45 DQ6

Default 3ware RAID Card on EP45 DQ6

Thinking about adding a RAID card to my system to allow more drive options and reduce CPU overhead without running out of SATA connnections - does anyone run a RAID card on a PCI-E slot and if so are you running RAID on both the ICH10R and the RAID card at the same time?
    GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

Default Re: 3ware RAID Card on EP45 DQ6

srode1, I can tell you if you are going RAID, 3ware is the shizzle. I have one of their older 4-port SATA RAID cards (bought used off eBay, no less) running in Linux; I've used it in Windows as well. It just works. I'm debating moving away from this config when I rebuild my file server, due to the fact that getting 8+ SATA ports pretty expensive to justify given my performance requirements. I've pretty well settled on using Solaris and ZFS (software RAID) instead unless I stumble on a bargain.

Having two RAID volumes should not cause a problem other than system administrator confusion (e.g. you). :)

As a UNIX admin, I have my own opinions about how I'd handle two different hardware raid volumes, but I'd be doing that under Linux. I'd guess they'll just show up as different disks under Windows.

I say go for it.

=V=

Thanks for the reco vraptor, I agree the 8 port cards would be optimal but a bit too expensive for personal use. So, coincidentally, I just bought a 3ware 9650SE 4LPML with Battery Back up on Ebay last night - hope to have it installed next weekend - I'm going start out just moving one of my single drives to it to see how it works on the MB - then try building a raid 10 on it. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is reloading the OS and software!

does your signature mean you're a WD Velociraptor fan?
    Last edited by srode1; 02-27-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I do not see any reason why you could not run both a Hardware and Software RAID Setup, provided the card is compatible with the board and OS

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I do not see any reason why you could not run both a Hardware and Software RAID Setup, provided the card is compatible with the board and OS
    Using a logical volume manager over HW RAID is a very good idea, if you have it available, since most LVM's allow you to expand filesystem sizes easily, whereas some OSes do not (Linux, can't say for sure if Windows does, but I don't think it allows it). LVM also allows you to work around the limitations of physical volumes (number of partitions).

ZFS is a different, beast. Apparently, introducing HW RAID underneath (which is not iSCSI targets or SAN LUNs) is not recommended. I don't yet know enough about the underlying internals and best practices on ZFS to understand why that is, though. So, at this point, I'm taking the opinions of experts at face value.

=V=

Quote Originally Posted by srode1 View Post
    Thanks for the reco vraptor, I agree the 8 port cards would be optimal but a bit too expensive for personal use. So, coincidentally, I just bought a 3ware 9650SE 4LPML with Battery Back up on Ebay last night - hope to have it installed next weekend - I'm going start out just moving one of my single drives to it to see how it works on the MB - then try building a raid 10 on it. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is reloading the OS and software!

does your signature mean you're a WD Velociraptor fan?
    Partimage from a Linux live CD, should fix you up for a "ghost-like" re-imaging process that costs $0. :-) I hate re-loading OSes, too.

I'm a Hitachi bigot, actually, coming from a Sun hardware background. Samsungs and Seagates (nothing over 500GB until this firmware issue settles down) will do in a pinch.

I have 4 Samsung 200GBs consumer IDE drives that were run, essentially, 24x7 for >2+ years (HW, now SW), with no issues. Ditto 3x of my 500GB Seagates (currently on the 3ware card). Originally, I had 1 500GB WD in that raid set. It died 2 mo. OoW; their offer to "upgrade" was $4 > than buying a new disk at NewEgg. :( I can do without that kind of upgrade, thanks.

AND, don't forget a UPS that can handle the full load of your system. Sagging power is the death to computer sub-components. I had an on-board mobo RAID controller silently corrupt a mirror thanks to it's slow death from a below-spec rail in a PSU (which was probably caused by bad sagging line voltage).

Have fun building!
    =V=

After some rethinking, (please add your thoughts) I think I am going to put Raid 5 on the card, and raid 10 on the MB with a 1Gb BU drive - the OS will be on the Raid 10 and the data for Vegas will be on the RAID5 - this card has great sequential read rates in a 4drive RAID 5, even better than the RAID 10. The RAID10 smokes the RAID 5 in random reads / writes so thinking that's the better place for the OS -

I'm also guessing RAID 10 has less CPU overhead than RAID5 so I'll let the 3WARE card take that load off the CPU. HDTach says the CPU load for RAID5 on the MB is 4%.

RAID Card should be here tomorrow - after some testing to make sure it works I'll order a backplane off Newegg and 4 WD 640 Caviar Blacks for the RAID5 on the card and start moving things around. I have 4 Seagate 250s already for the RAID10 and the 1TB Caviar Black already for the BU.

I'll have to look at the Linux, was thinking of picking up Ghost12 to do the imaging etc, but free is a much better option! :)

Quote Originally Posted by srode1 View Post

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://photozbucket.com/pages/2507/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://photozbucket.com/pages/2507/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
    I'm thinking about getting one of those, how much did it cost you from ebay?
    Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009 at 10:46 PM.

$250 with the BBU for a 4 port card

For those interested - it works great - 3ware 9650SE 4LPML with 2 WD 640gb HDDs in Raid 0 give HD tach 178mb/sec average sequential reads with the long test. I have 2 more HDDs ordered to either go Raid 10 or 4 drive Raid 0. On the ICH10R I have a 3 x 250gb Raid 5 array which will become a 4 disc array in the near future after I get the other Array set up and free up the single disc that has my OS on it. The Raid5 with 3 discs gets 125gb / sec sequential read on HD Tach with the long test. These 2 arrays plus my 1TB drive for periodic back ups and I am pretty much set.
    Last edited by srode1; 03-15-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information