Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3R won't run 2 sticks of ram

Default Re: EP45-UD3R won't run 2 sticks of ram

vDimm AT LEAST +0.2v dependant on your ram
    MCH(Northbridge) try some extra voltage because you have 4GB ram & multiple drives. I would try MCHv = +0.2v.

JEDEC has a specification for the DDR2 at 1.8v default voltage for motherboards, and increases are provided as a courtesy to allow high performance RAM to run.
    You do know to press CTRL+F1 on the main BIOS screen to get the advanced settings right?

I have read your posts and you haven't once posted your exact make and model of RAM, "4gigs G-Skill Black PIs" in your signature doesn't quite cut it, and I think once someone sees the exact model number and sees the manufacturers required voltage listed on the website you might get some answers.
    Last edited by infiniti25; 01-28-2009 at 05:27 PM.

I have 4 gigs of ram but I can only get one stick of 2gigs to run...so technically I only have 2 gigs.

Yes I know about ctrl+f1. This is not my first gigabyte board to own.

I have 5 different sets of ram:
    2x2gig set of GSkill Pi 8800s
    2x2gig set of GSkill Black Pis 6400s
    2x1 gig set of GSkill Hzs
    2x1gig set of Crucial Ballistix double-sided
    2x1 gig set of Crucial Ballistix single-sided.

Sorry if I sound upset but I am a bit frustrated now and everyone is offering the same damn info, which I have tried, and it does not work.

I have tried to RMA my first board and Gigabyte did not send me a response. I bought a second board and it is the same issue as the first. I sent an email to tech support to gigabyte and still they have not read it or responded. I have 2 motherboards, a rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 with the same exact issue and I have not got one response from an official Gigabyte representative and I AM GETTING PISSED!!!!!!!!!!

Other people are having the same issue as myself, with this board and the UD3P as well.
    Last edited by clo007; 01-28-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
    Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
    1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
    eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
    (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
    (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
    lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

Quote Originally Posted by clo007 View Post
    I have 4 gigs of ram but I can only get one stick of 2gigs to run...so technically I only have 2 gigs.

Yes I know about ctrl+f1. This is not my first gigabyte board to own.

I have 5 different sets of ram:
    2x2gig set of GSkill Pi 8800s
    2x2gig set of GSkill Black Pis 6400s
    2x1 gig set of GSkill Hzs
    2x1gig set of Crucial Ballistix double-sided
    2x1 gig set of Crucial Ballistix single-sided.

Sorry if I sound upset but I am a bit frustrated now and everyone is offering the same damn info, which I have tried, and it does not work.

I have tried to RMA my first board and Gigabyte did not send me a response. I bought a second board and it is the same issue as the first. I sent an email to tech support to gigabyte and still they have not read it or responded. I have 2 motherboards, a rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 with the same exact issue and I have not got one response from an official Gigabyte representative and I AM GETTING PISSED!!!!!!!!!!

Other people are having the same issue as myself, with this board and the UD3P as well.
    I am having the exact same problem with the UD3P and i am also getting very fustrated! It's killing me that there is no fix or settings that work ><

@clo007 - I see that you are running quite a demanding system with such a small power supply, the corsair hx520 psu.

CoolMaster has a 1000Watt power supply which might explain why he doesn't have any problems.

I would try to boot without any overclocking, with only the OS hard drive connected(no other optical or hard drives) and no overclock on the graphics card and see what happens with the MCHv and vDIMM voltage increases. I am trying to get a scenario where the PSU doesn't have an abnormally high load on it from the overclocks and multiple devices, so I can supply a good amount of juice to the northbridge (where the memory controller usually is for intel systems) and to the ram.
    Last edited by infiniti25; 02-02-2009 at 03:10 AM.

I have talked to the memory guy from the corsair forums and the 520HX is fine for my set-up. You would be suprised but the Corsair 520/620 PSUs are way under rated.

Also, I have run stock settings, unplugged my extra hdd's and still it doesn't work. I have contacted Gigabyte Tech support and there response to me is to go buy value ram to see if ti runs. WTF?! You make a mobo that states it can handle ram OC1333 but my stock 1100mhz ram won't function properly?

At this point, I have contacted newegg on getting a refund and they have accepted it. I will be trying to get my rev 1.0 to function properly, as I am stuck with this one since newegg won't take this one back....that is right, I own two of these motherboards, a rev 1.0 and a rev 1.1 and they both do the same thing. Something is up with the memory controller on these boards with high-end ram. The more and more I go through forums like here and XtremeSystems Forums - Powered by vBulletin, the more people who are having the same boot issues as I am having.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

I was just drawing your attention to the fact that you and my virtual canadian friend have the same PSU is all, and I wondered if that would factor into it.
    You both have seagate hard drives as well, but thats just nothing to do with it as you have both tried without a load.

Have you replaced the CMOS/BIOS battery? I am in the process of figuring out if the BIOS settings are remembered between shutdown for long period and the cold boot up or if they are corrupted/reset because of a failing battery.

Me and my canadian friend are currently thinking along the lines of his AMD 5600x2's memory controller only supports 800mhz bus speed where as he has DDR2 8GB 1000mhz RAM and thinks it might work if he overclocks his CPU to accomodate a 1000mhz bus speed. The reasoning is that the memory controller on the CPU says no way can we run synchronised, and asks the chipset to change FSB strap and maybe incurs a delay because it has to read the SPD from the RAM itself to set itself up as the BIOS settings are no good for it.

Another check you could make is to look around the motherboard for bulging capacitors and if your PSU is out of warranty open that up and look for bulging capacitors.

A capacitor that is bulging suggests the PSU/Motherboard has in the past encountered an abnormally high load. Bulging capacitors do not store the power as they do when in a normal state (flat top) and as such either don't store charge or take a longer time to store charge initially on a cold boot.
    If the power is not stored then its not available to give to your components, and in a usual scenario your system would refuse to boot in any configuration.

BTW - you should probably PM LSDMEASAP as he seems to be a self-made Gigabyte guru and possibly has good contact with Gigabyte themselves. Janus was the gigabyte rep around here, I wonder if he is still about.

cloo Have you tried to boot with all the sticks tweaking the MCh and CpU References?

Try to boot into bios with one stick and set vtt to 1.200 and then set both CPU Ref and MCh Ref to their default (0.760). Then go there and UP them once on each. 1 up from default for the CPU Ref and then 1 up from default for MCh Ref.

After that save exit and populate your rams slots and try to boot.

I have tried that and it does not work.
    I got newegg to ok a refund for the newer 1.1 board and I am giving up on the other 1.0 board, as Gigabyte is not giving me any type of help.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

Would be interesting to see what happened with a different board. I would like to see how a different board reacts to your current hardware and that power supply.
    :) keep us posted.

I had a Abit IP35-E before this. only difference was I had a Q6600 OC'd to 3.2 ghz and i did not have one problem with that board. My GSkill Black Pi ddr2-6400s ran flawless on that set-up and my PSU was solid. I only updated to the Q9550 and GSKill Pi 8800s for better overclockability.

The issue seems to be with this motherboard, running a quad core and 2x2gigs of ram.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast