Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3R won't run 2 sticks of ram

Default Re: EP45-UD3R won't run 2 sticks of ram

Try different brand of RAM with least 1.8-2.0v (PC28500) should be able boot, I noticed mostly RAM with over 2.0v always give problem with this board (P45) such as UP3P/R, I never like to have any RAM that required set 2.0 and higher.

OCZ and UD3P/R are not liking each others anyhow but why pick OCZ ? G.Skill is the best works on this board out of box and peace of mind.

pg
    Last edited by powergiga; 02-18-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: edited
    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
    G
    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

The original poster has already stated that he has tried multiple different kits of RAM with this board. Why would the go out and buy any more?

Has anyone tried tuning the MCH Reference voltage yet? I mentioned this in another thread, but the guy hasn't reported back yet.
    MCH Reference can improve the signal quality inside the memory controller, and this very much a memory controller issue if the boards work in single channel but not in dual channel.
    MCH reference is by default set to 63.33% of MCH Core. What you should do is try other values between 60 and 67% of MCH core.

Props for suggesting MCH Reference go to Supershanks from Clunk.org.uk btw, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by powergiga View Post
    Try different brand of RAM with least 1.8-2.0v (PC28500) should be able boot, I noticed mostly RAM with over 2.0v always give problem with this board (P45) such as UP3P/R, I never like to have any RAM that required set 2.0 and higher.

OCZ and UD3P/R are not liking each others anyhow but why pick OCZ ? G.Skill is the best works on this board out of box and peace of mind.

pg
    Thanks for the suggestion, but maybe you should read through the whole thread. The ram I am currently running is 1.8-1.9 volts stock. Also, i am running GSkill. maybe just looking in my signature would of told you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    Has anyone tried tuning the MCH Reference voltage yet? I mentioned this in another thread, but the guy hasn't reported back yet.
    MCH Reference can improve the signal quality inside the memory controller, and this very much a memory controller issue if the boards work in single channel but not in dual channel.
    MCH reference is by default set to 63.33% of MCH Core. What you should do is try other values between 60 and 67% of MCH core.

Props for suggesting MCH Reference go to Supershanks from Clunk.org.uk btw, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself though.
    I tried to mess with it. It is a real pain in the ass to have one stick of ram in. Adjust settings. Save. Let boot to windows. Shut down. Installed second stick of ram. Try to boot up. Fail. Turn off. Remove second stick. Power up. GO in to bios. Repeat.

At this point, I think I am going to sell everything and go i7. I have other spare parts and figure with the sell of my set up plus extra ram and gfx card I have, I will only be out of pocket $300.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
    Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
    1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
    eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
    (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
    (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
    lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

Yeah, playign witht he MCH Ref in your case must be a real pain. Did you try all settings form 60 to 66%?

You can also try just getting a different motherboard. I don't think Core i7 is worth it yet since you get pretty much the same performance but pay like $200. You do get 6GB RAM though, but that is only useful in GTA4 at the moment.

Consider getting the Asus P5Q-E I also got that after some research since I really liked the PCI Slot that was above the top PCI-E slot. I haven't really overclocked with it yet though but it's received good reviews all over the web as well.

you do realise you dont need to boot into windows for the bios settings to be effective.

You can start with one stick of RAM in, boot, go into bios and make settings changes, save and exit, after reboot wait for the beep or for the BIOS post to display on screen and then turn off the machine. Put the extra stick(s) of ram into the relevant slot(s) and power on.

You will not be damaging anything by turning it off after the screen starts displaying (beep means it posted followed by screen output), as long as its before the OS kicks in otherwise you might end up having to run some disk check utility or select start windows normally from a boot menu.

If you get a beep and some writing on the screen followed by a reboot or garbled text and a lockup, then it is usually a stability issue and an increase in the relavent voltage(s) will usually sort the lockup(s)/reboot(s).

His problem is that the PC won't POST at all with 2 sticks. So he changes a setting, puts in another stick, it won't POST again and he has to take out the stick to get into BIOS and try the next changes.

exactly Nickel.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
    Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
    1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
    eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
    (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
    (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
    lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

I already know what his problems are/were. I was merely stating that he doesn't need to boot into windows for any of his bios changes to be effective, thus reducing the time between testing a bios setting with one stick in and trying his extra stick(s).
    Only trying to educate him/others with using their system.

People only seem to read the post in front of them and forget about ALL the other posts in the thread. I have been here offering some assistance for a few weeks now, so I am well aware of clo007's problems.

I think your best bet as you seem to have already mentioned is to try on a different platform like the corei7 and build from scratch.

If you are planning on sticking with your current build and trying to get it to work, I suggest you email/pm Janus Yeh as I think someone mentioned earlier or pm LSDMEASAP directly. They will most likely have you fill out a bios settings template for them and then tell you what you can try.

I have a feeling there is an advaced memory subtiming that you can relax to help 4gb+ RAM problems. I will review some of LSDMEASAP's responses in another thread to find out what it might be.

EDIT: The info I said I would find.

The setting is "Refresh to ACT Delay" and LSDMEASAP proposes to relax this timing to 65-75/80 for booting up, and then lowering it as you go to see what value is required to boot stable.
    Last edited by infiniti25; 02-19-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added info

At this point I think you just got really unlucky that both boards have the same problem. Try to RMA it again, the tech support guy you got the first time probably couldn't make sense of this issue and didn't knwo whether your board was broken or you did something wrong and he eventually forgot about it.
    You can also try emailing the guys at Anandtech, they've been writing a lot recently about trying to evaluate customer service much more than they did before. If they talk to GB on your behalf you might be able to talk someone higher up the hierachy and get a quick replacement (not a 5+ week wait). Mention that your first RMA request was unanswered! GB wouldn't want AT to write anything in their articles about your problem :

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information