Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EP45T DS3R Restarts/Random Reboots- Q9400

hanleyc is offline Member

Default Re: EP45T DS3R Restarts/Random Reboots- Q9400

Mine is running at 9 9 9 24, 1333,but I have tried slowing it to 1066, but still had issues. I have increased the voltage to 1.6v, up from 1.5, but still had problems this morning. My issue seems to happen only on a cold boot, once running its runs all day without issue.

Craig
    Last edited by hanleyc; 01-27-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Did you increase tRFC to 80 as suggested?

Also I've just noted that your tRD Performance level is at 7 as indicated by Memset.
    You could try incrementing that Value by 1 in the bios. Note though your bios may not show the same figure as Memset does - nevertheless you still need to set it manually.

Other issues could be to do with I believe you bought the two memory kits on different occasions? It is possible that the chips used on the modules are different between the two kits - causing more setup problems.
    Often it's easier to set up 2x2GB than 4x1GB modules.

If i remember correctly, these modules are warrantied upto 1.65volts. If you can increment in your bios in 50mv (0.05) steps, try setting the DDR3 voltage to 1.65volts.

Could you also check what your PSU voltages are in the bios and with HWmonitor (ie 3.3, 5, 12volt rails)
    That vantec should be OK for your set up, but it's a little on the weak side for it's 12volt rail/s for a 550watt supply. It's combined max wattage for it's 12volt rails is 408watts, which equates to 34amps. (Not 44amps as 22 + 22 might suggest)
    http://www.vantectw.com/front/product/view_detail/396
    It's just worth keeping an eye on your PSU when it's under different loading, such as when in games and with Prime95 etc. It may be perfectly ok.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-27-2009 at 09:10 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

changed the trfc to 80 as suggested. I've got to go to work now, so I will change those settings later today and try them

How do I use prime 95?

Thanks Craig

Interesting regarding the vantec...that was one reason that I bought that one was the higher 12v rail ratings....oh well. I have downloaded prime95 and will try that.

I have taken one stick out just to get the pc running this afternoon...wouldnt even get to the gigabyte splash screen. Maybe I have a faulty stick, even though it showed up fine in memtest? Is this possible?

Why would slot 3 and 4 show up as ddr2? We will get there yet.

Regards

Craig

I am running prime 95 now and will leave on for the next 8 hrs. I am having a little trouble understanding the program, so if anyone can tell me what to look forand how to analyse the results, that would be great. I am just running the stress tests...I think this is ok???

I also ran Intel Burn Test and it showed up nothing abnormal.

@VorlonUK,

I've run the stress tests for the last 9 hrs, and all showed up fine. What else can you tell me about the tests on prime95?

I haven't tried the test while running a game, yet because the pc runs Grid, and other heavy frames games with out any issues, and has never re booted while running them.

I'm out of ideas. Please help?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyc View Post
    @VorlonUK,

I've run the stress tests for the last 9 hrs, and all showed up fine. What else can you tell me about the tests on prime95?

I haven't tried the test while running a game, yet because the pc runs Grid, and other heavy frames games with out any issues, and has never re booted while running them.

I'm out of ideas. Please help?

Craig
    If prime95 has run without any errors or warnings for 9 hours and core temps have been below 60c, then that would indicate reasonable stability.

Did you answer my question as to what OS you are running?

Have you tried running memtest with all 4 sticks or 2sticks installed. I think I have already mentioned this.
    Ideally run all 4 sticks with memtest.

Also I mentioned about increasing tRD and about adding .05v to your DDR3, increasing it to 1.65volts. This was all in a previous post.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hi VorLonUK,

Firstly I must thank you for all your help. You have no idea what an assistance you have been, and what I have learnt form your information.

OS=WinXP SP3

I dont have a 0.05 setting adjustment in the bios. The closest I can get is 1.64v or 1.67v. What do you recommend?

Also I have adjusted the tRFC to 80, but at first this didnt save, but it seems ok now. What is the tRD setting you mention> I can only find a tRD_WR setting?

I was sure it had to be the ram as this issue didn't start until I added ram.

Enough was enough, so this morning I ripped the newer 2 sticks out, packaged them back up, and took them back to the shop. They tried to tell me that it was my board, but I explained what happened, etc, etc, and he swapped them over for some more of the same. Interesting that the 2 new sticks, are rated at only 1.5v, not the 1.5v-1.65v, like the previous set.

At this time, the pc is running smooth, from a cold boot up after being off for 6hrs.

I will test some more, but it seems like I had faulty ram, although all tests showed no faults. How is this possible?

Lets see how I go for the next 24hrs, and all going well the problem may be solved.

Assuming everything is ok for the next 24hrs, is there any other settings you would recommend I change apart form the ones mentioned in your last post?

bump

Just to follow up...system has been running well now for about 6hrs straight.

Just these couple of questions...

I dont have a 0.05 setting adjustment in the bios. The closest I can get is 1.64v or 1.67v. What do you recommend?

although all tests showed no faults. How is this possible?

"is there any other settings you would recommend I change apart form the ones mentioned in your last post?"

"Interesting that the 2 new sticks, are rated at only 1.5v, not the 1.5v-1.65v, like the previous set." Any idea why?

Regards

Craig
    Last edited by hanleyc; 01-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.

I'm not a 100% sure as to what your setup is at present.

"Interesting that the 2 new sticks, are rated at only 1.5v, not the 1.5v-1.65v, like the previous set." Any idea why?
    Have you got a link to them?

It is very possible that (and I pointed this out before), although they may be the exact same product Retail wise, the modules themselves may be populated with different memory chips. ie the company may be using different makes of memory chip and/or different revisons of the same chip - So effectively they don't match with your originally purchased modules.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information