Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EP45T DS3R Restarts/Random Reboots- Q9400

hanleyc is offline Member

Default Re: EP45T DS3R Restarts/Random Reboots- Q9400

Setup specs

EP45T-DS3R
    Intel Q9400 running Stock...
    4x1gb G-Skill PC3-10666 1333Mhz CAS 9 9 9 24
    Gigabyte ATI HD4850 512mb Video card...
    Samsung 750gb Sata Hard Drive
    550w Vantec ion2+ PSU..
    Windows xp sp3

The link to the ram is the same I posted in the first post. I cant find any more on their website that are rated only at 1.5v. They are still the "nq" series. Probably doesnt matter why, as long as their working fine.

I understand what you meant now VorLonUK about the chips...sorry I missed that part.

The pc is running fine and has been good for 24hrs solid now.

I guess you could call it case closed if there is nothing else you reccomend, and hopefully everything continues to run fine. Once again many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Craig

So you are running 4 x 1GB modules at 1333Mhz without error now :-)

Seeing that the new ram has the normal voltage for ddr3 ie 1.5volts and now it's been mixed with your 1.65 (max) original ram, what voltage have you settled for?

Did you increase tRD and/or tRFC in the end?

Have you kept "Performance Enhance" = Standard ?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

HI VoLonUK,

Everything is running fine so far.

I had the ram set at 1.6v, but the next 2 options in the bios were 1.64v and 1.67v. I didnt have a 0.05v increment option (to go from 1.6 to 1.65) What do you recommend? Currently still at 1.6.

Increased the tRFC to 80 as advised, and that is still current.

In Memset I can only see a tRD_WR option??? (currently set at 10)

Performance is still set to standard.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyc View Post
    HI VoLonUK,

Everything is running fine so far.

I had the ram set at 1.6v, but the next 2 options in the bios were 1.64v and 1.67v. I didnt have a 0.05v increment option (to go from 1.6 to 1.65) What do you recommend? Currently still at 1.6.

Increased the tRFC to 80 as advised, and that is still current.

In Memset I can only see a tRD_WR option??? (currently set at 10)

Performance is still set to standard.

Craig
    Although that new ram is rated at 1.5volts, I'm reasonably confident it'll be ok at 1.6volts. Also your original version of this product line with it's rating of (upto) 1.65volts, might not like anything lower than 1.6volts.

So i'd stick with the 1.6volts you have selected.

Keep Performance Enhance at standard and tRFC at 80. Also remember that if or when you update the bios (at some future date) and then load up the optimised defaults, that you'll need to re-enter the bios to setup your specifics.

As far as tRD goes, MemSet shows it as "Performance Level". It has a massive affect on memory throughput.
    As your Ram is now working ok it might not be worth changing it (in the bios).
    However you can change it on-the-fly in windows (with memset) and use something like the Everest Diagnostic Suite to measure the affect of throughput as you decrement the tRD (performance level) value.
    There are caveats though to this and hence I mentioned it when you wre looking to achieve stability with you Ram.
    On the one hand decrementing this value by "1" at a time will show a marked improvement in memory throughput. The downside is, the further you decrement this value, the closer yo get to complete instability.
    Sometimes though you'll find that you can decrement this value as much as 2, without windows locking up and find that memory performance has drastically improved.
    Obviously once a value has been chosen as stable in windows (ie other than the default value), you would then need to set it accordingly in your bios. Also you'd need to run memtest too as the memory would be more aggressively setup.

If you are happy with things at present and you have no memtest or windows errors, then perhaps leave things as they are?

You should also be able to from within the bios's main first screen (ie the one you are first presented with when entering the bios) be able to select F11 and save your current profile. ie "Stable base1" . You can then recall your saved bios profiles with F12 (select and loadup & save) whenever you wish.
    This is really useful if you are constantly changing settings, but want to easily and quickly return to a good known working setup.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for that info VoLonUK.

I may tinker with a few settings you mention, but i dont want to bugger up something thats working. I like the idea of setting up that profile as a fallback should the settings go a little stray.

I'll try some settings and see how I go. Just for reference, that performance level in memset has channel A on 8 and channel B on 7? Excuse me for sounding ignorant, but which direction will give the better results?..ie going up to 9 or down to 7 or below? They should be the same shoudnt they?

Many Thanks for your help again.

Craig
    Last edited by hanleyc; 02-02-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyc View Post
    Thanks for that info VoLonUK.

I may tinker with a few settings you mention, but i dont want to bugger up something thats working. I like the idea of setting up that profile as a fallback should the settings go a little stray.

I'll try some settings and see how I go. Just for reference, that performance level in memset has channel A on 8 and channel B on 7? Excuse me for sounding ignorant, but which direction will give the better results?..ie going up to 9 or down to 7 or below? They should be the same shoudnt they?

Many Thanks for your help again.

Craig
    Ideally they should be the same, but if I remember correctly you do have esentially two memory module kits, so that may account for it.

Increasing the tRD value in Memset takes things towards the stability side of things - however that may not be linear.

Decreasing the value by 1 and then testing with Everests memory benchmarking sub suite, will yield a big difference in memory throughput. Only decrement by the value of "1" at a time. If you go too far the PC will lockup or reboot.

Ideally, say you can decrement to a value of "6" before going to "5" locks up the PC, choose "7" as your minimum setting.
    Also, as I've previously mentioned, the tRD (performance level) may not reflect the exact same value in the bios.
    If and when you've decided on a figure, you'll need to set it in the bios and save it. You can always use memset to double check those values are what you expected.

Always an idea, to write down or ScreenShot memSet when your bios is at default or at a working good setup. Then if you do change any advanced settings in the bios, that don't exactly marry to those in memset, you can easily deduce what the offset actually is and adjust it accordingly.

HI VorLonUK,

I tried decreasing the values by 1 and it locked up straight away, so I am going to leave it I think. As I said its working ok now with the voltage at 1.6v and, tRFC at 80.I think I increased the MCH core from 1.10v up to 1.2v. Will have to check that figure.

Things seem stable at the moment.

Just to add something..I may have missed something here,,,but why does my cpu speed say 1999 on the cpuz picture below. Should it be 2666?

Craig
    Last edited by hanleyc; 02-06-2009 at 06:13 PM.

You have EIST enabled in the bios. (it's completely normal)

You'll see the multiplier increase from 6x to 8x when you load the system (in windows).

It's Intel's Speed Step (enhanced) doing it's thing to keep everything as cool and green as possible when windows is esentially idle.

Thanks for that VorLonUK. I do remember reading something way back in the thread about that. As long as its normal, then I'll leave everything running as is, now things are stable.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Craig

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information