Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P ISsues

Default EP45-UD3P ISsues

Hello, first post in this board, nice to meet you all.

So I have upgraded my computer from the EP45-DS3R to the UD3P and I'm currently facing some issues:

1. I installed the UD3P motherboard, connected all the wires correctly.
    In the BIOS I have set the CPU SmartFan Control to "Enabled" and set the CPU Fan Fail Warning to Enabled as well.

The issue is that when I turn the PC on, the case fans and the PSU fans turn on immediately, but the CPU fan takes about 10 seconds to turn on, I get the Fan fail beep sound for 3-4 seconds, then the Gigabyte Splash screen appears and the fan starts working.

I know I can turn off the CPU Fail Warning sound but I'd like to avoid that because if the CPU Fan does fail, I won't know about it...

The last board I had was an EP45-DS3R and with it, the CPU Fan started working immediately when I turned on the PC, I also tried to Intel Stock fan that arrived with the CPU, same deal...

2. When I went to bed last night the computer was turned on, at the morning I woke up because it was suddenly shutting itself off and back on, I think I saw at least 5 cycles off shutting down and back on for a few seconds each time, the Monitor was turned off so I couldn't see what's going on, I turned off the PC manually.

Then I booted it and got into Windows, everything was working ok, I decided to manually set the DRAM timings and Voltage, my Memory is a 2X2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 MHz PI Edition CL-5-5-5-15 kit.

I set the timings to 5-5-5-15 manually, System Memory Multiplier to 2.00D and set the DRAM Voltage to 2.100V (Was 1.800V by defailt)

C1E and EIST were disabled from the moment I set the board, so the shut downs occurred when they were disabled. Didn't yet touch the PCI Express Frequency and the Performance Enhance is set to Turbo (I think I should change it to Standard)

Ran Prime 95's Blend Test for 40 minutes and so far everything looks good, temps are solid and no errors.

But I have no idea how many times the PC shut itself down and back on while I was asleep and I'm a bit worried.

I'd appreciate your assistance, thanks.
    Last edited by Zach_; 01-25-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Default Re: EP45-UD3P ISsues

its normal for the cpu fan not turn on as soon as your pc powers on, i think if you disable CPU SmartFan it will trun on right away at powerup.

GA-EP45-UD3P, Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (SLB9Y)
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))
    OCZ SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel OCZ2N800SR4GK
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI

What power supply, make and model?

PSU is an Enermax Modu82+ 525W, never had any power issues with the previous board.

since your monitor was off could it be it was just going on standby and waking back up somehow? from a distance you could see your power led blinking and maybe thought it powered off, had it happened since?

check your temps , in bios you could try to restore optimized defaults (to get spec settings for your hardware), then reset any settings you need.

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))

Quote Originally Posted by Zach_ View Post
    2. When I went to bed last night the computer was turned on, at the morning I woke up because it was suddenly shutting itself off and back on, I think I saw at least 5 cycles off shutting down and back on for a few seconds each time, the Monitor was turned off so I couldn't see what's going on, I turned off the PC manually.
    But I have no idea how many times the PC shut itself down and back on while I was asleep and I'm a bit worried.
    Yikes. That'd be torture on the hard drive if it were doing that all through the night.

Well, after I changed the BIOS settings for the Memory I ran Prime95 for about an hour and everything was ok, I also applied some MX-2 on the CPU, need to run Memtest today to make sure everything is indeed ok, I assume it wasn't doing it that long because the sound of the fan coming on and off woke me up so if I woke up from it I guess it wasn't happening for so long.

However just to be on the safe side, what other tests should I run to make sure that none of the components were damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by hyakki View Post
    since your monitor was off could it be it was just going on standby and waking back up somehow? from a distance you could see your power led blinking and maybe thought it powered off, had it happened since?

check your temps , in bios you could try to restore optimized defaults (to get spec settings for your hardware), then reset any settings you need.
    Well I haven't touched anything on the board yet when this happened except disabling C1E and EIST, I assume it was the Memory not getting enough voltage thus shutting itself down.

I couldn't see the Power Led and I don't think that it was going to sleep because I saw everything being turned off, the case has blue lighting when its on and it was turned off and on repeatedly...

since prime95 is old and cant max out todays cpu, i would run intelburn test http://www.ultimate-filez.com/files/IntelBurnTest.zip, or occt for a few hours.

remember to monitor your temps these programs will max them out. just make sure they are under the Max TJ.

also when you said "System Memory Multiplier to 2.00D" set that to auto you shouldnt need to change that unless your OC.
    Last edited by hyakki; 01-27-2009 at 04:13 AM.

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+

I do intend to OC that's why I set it that way.

I'll run the test you said but so far I ran Prime95 for several hours and everything was fine, system is stable, it appears that the issue was the DRAM voltage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information