Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which SATA port to use for DVD

Default Which SATA port to use for DVD

New build with GA-EP45-UD3P. SATA HDD, SATA DVD burner. I have HDD in SATA_0. Does it matter where I plug in the DVD? Should the BIOS show HDD as Master in first channel, DVD as slave in second channel? Or both HDD and DVD as Master? (Does it even matter?)

Default Re: Which SATA port to use for DVD

I doesn't matter. There are no master or slaves with SATA only the boot order and hard drive priorty in boot.

flyfisher is offline Member

SATA is a serial connection, despite the master and slave labels in the BIOS, so it doesn't really matter where the DVD drive is. Just use one of the Intel ICH10 (yellow) ports and not the purple ports.

Thanks, everything is working great. Now if I can only get Windows installed... but that's a different headache.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    SATA is a serial connection, despite the master and slave labels in the BIOS, so it doesn't really matter where the DVD drive is. Just use one of the Intel ICH10 (yellow) ports and not the purple ports.
    Hi flyfisher, what are the purple ports for if you cannot put SATA hdds on them? I have the GA X48 DS5 and it has the purple ports, I didnt use them but always wondered what they are for.?

The purple connectors are for the gigabyte controller (Jmicron) and of course they can be used for SATA hard drives. I have not tried them for SATA DVD drives so I can't say but I see no retriction in the manual.

Thanks I have ACHI enabled in my BIOS but not running a Raid configuration, thats what I thought they were for but didnt know, I am not using them at present with my GA X48 DS5 mobo.

With AHCI enabled the purple ports are hotswap capable eSATA.

Quote Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
    With AHCI enabled the purple ports are hotswap capable eSATA.
    Thanks pbcopter. Now if I can just find a templete for my MIT Intellegent Tweaker in my BIOS for the X48 DS5 I can follow it and make sure all my settings for my new Q9550 are correct with my new GSkill RAM. PC8500
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory I am really at an impass here, thanks for any advice.

You are welcome. Sorry I can't help with the templete though. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information