Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3R Erratic IDE recognition & no sound

Default EP45-UD3R Erratic IDE recognition & no sound

So I am upgrading my rig from an AMD 3700+ EVGA Mobo Patriot memory combination to the new rig below.

Here's my rig:

Motherboard:Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    CPU: Intel E8500 Wolfdale 3.16 GHz
    RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB
    Video Card: EVGA 7800GT
    HDD1: WDC 200 GB IDE HDD (Primary Drive)
    HDD2: Seagate 250 GB Sata (Data Drive)
    DVD Drive: Lite-ON IDE DVD burner
    Case: Antec Sonata with a 500W power supply

I got a DOA motherboard first. I RMA'd it and got one that works 2 days ago.

The motherboard has a 2x4 ATX power supply, but my power supply only has a 2x2 cord. The documentation with the motherboard claims that the mobo will work with the 2x2 supply.

I'm not overclocking at this point, but indend to (if I can ever get past the simple things first)

Here are my problems:
    1. When I start up, the computer only goes looks for the OS on the IDE HDD IF I HAVE A BOOTABLE DVD/CD in the DVD Drive!
    at this point, I just skip the boot from CD option and boot from HDD

2. On a "restart", the motherboard refuses to recognize both my IDE devices, the primary HDD and the DVD drive. So I can't boot! I have to physically power off, and then boot again. Only then does the mobo recognize my IDE devices.

3. When I get past around these issues (I have to do this every time) and into the OS, I can't get windows to install the Realtek HD Audio drivers and the soundman. I have attempted to install multiple versions of the drivers. I get to the point where the installer says, needs restart, and when I restart, there is still a PCI device (the HD audio, I checked the device id) not recognized.

So I'm really hurting with the upgrade to this new Mobo, with a lot of strange issues.

Any bright ideas?

--Help!

Thanks,
    Vittal

Default Re: EP45-UD3R Erratic IDE recognition & no sound

RMA again.

I was hoping that would not be the only option.

To add, the Bios version is "F5".
    I believe that's the latest version.

flyfisher is offline Member

Since you are using IDE drives and there is only one IDE channel from the Gigabyte controller, do you have them properly jumpered as master and slave? In the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals do you have Onboard SATA/IDE device enabled and set to IDE control mode? If so try using a different IDE cable.

Edit: I see you also have an SATA drive. Is there any way you can use that as a boot drive instead of data?
    Last edited by flyfisher; 01-27-2009 at 05:39 AM.

I could use the SATA drive as the primary HDD. That still leaves me with the problem of the motherboard not recognizing the IDE devices though.

I think there is an upgrade available for the bios on the motherboard. I am going to download that and try it out today.

flyfisher is offline Member

I doubt a BIOS update will solve anything. Did you check the IDE cable? Did you check the jumpers? WD drives do not use a jumper if they are used as a single drive. When used in a master/slave setup, it will need a jumper placed across pins 5-6 as shown here, and the DVD drive jumpered to slave. Cable select doesn't always work.

I do believe I have the IDE HDD jumpered as MASTER and the DVD as SLAVE. Although, I'm currently in the office, so I will check to make sure of it in the evening when I get home.

OK So I updated the BIOS to version F6. Still the same issues.

The hard drive and the DVD drive are jumpered correctly in MASTER/SLAVE config.

Remember, this setting worked in my old mobo.

Here's what's next. I noticed that my drives were all (even the SATA) showing up as SCSI devices. I'm not sure why. This seems similar to :
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ide-...oooowww-27697/

I'm going to reinstall windows and install the drivers one by one to see what happens. Maybe It'll help.

I HAD my SATA drive connected to the PURPLE ports. I now have it connected to the YELLOW SATA ports. I just reinstalled windows.

Now the drives turn up as IDE devices. The motherboard seems to recognize the IDE drives on the restarts.

I still need to install the drivers.

I want to see if the system has problems booting into windows. Will update.

So now the devices are recognized every time.

But it seems like the only way I can boot is if I have the CDROM as the first boot device, and then put a bootable cd in there AND the skip the boot from CD option. ONLY then does it boot into the IDE drive OS.

It will still not boot if I have the HDD as first boot device. I also have the IDE drive as the first drive to boot and the SATA drive as the second one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information