Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3R one time boot behavior

Question EP45-UD3R one time boot behavior

I have noticed some interesting behavior with Gigabyte Boards and wanted to get some input from the rest of you. I have considerable experience with Dell BIOS as well as other computers, and think Gigabyte boards are a little different...

In most other BIOS, when you hit F12 to access the one-time boot menu, you usually see an entry for "USB device" if there is a flash drive or such. You can then clcik on that entry, and the flash drive will boot the machine.

On the Gigabyte boards, the USB flash drive is detected as a USB HDD even if it is a flash drive. What this means is that you have to enable USB storage detect, then reboot for your flash drive to be recognized and appear in HDD boot order list, then set the HDD boot order, making the USB flash drive appear first and then finally boot again! The downside to this is that you have to use the same boot flash drive each time. If you use a different boot flash drive the next time, you have to go into BIOS, and move that USB key to the top of the list.

My point is, that in all other BIOS I have encountered, if you ask for a one time boot from flash drive, you don't have to specify the boot order. You are explicitly requesting a boot from USB flash drive and nothing else!

If you ask for a boot from CD-ROM, Gigabyte correctly boots directly from CD-ROM and nothing else. If you ask for a one-time boot from floppy drive, Gigabyte correctly boots as requested.

Does this bother any of the rest of you? Who knows what I am talking about? Any creative workarounds to this behavior? Is it just my model of motherboard, or do all Gigabyte boards do this?
    Last edited by Outer Marker; 01-27-2009 at 10:44 AM.

flyfisher is offline Member

Default Re: EP45-UD3R one time boot behavior

I'm not seeing that on my UD3R. If I plug in a USB flash drive, boot and press F12, then expand the HDD entry, my hard drives are listed plus the USB flash drive. Select the USB drive and it boots to it. What brand of flash drive are you using? It works fine with my Sandisk Cruzers and a generic one I got at Microcenter.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 01-27-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Default Re: EP45-UD3R one time boot behavior

Well I feel like a complete fool

When I saw that plus sign next to the Hard Drive list, I never thought to expand it. I just assumed the plus sign was Gigabyte's way of indicating what the default boot device was, so I ignored it.

I did as you suggested, expanded the list, and there was my flash drive at the top of the list. For what it's worth, I also use a Sandisk Cruzer.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Thread Information