Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3R + Q6600 Maxed out??

Default EP45-UD3R + Q6600 Maxed out??

Hello everyone! New to the forums.
    I'm the proud new owner of an EP45-UD3R board.
    Rest of hardware
    Q6600(G0)
    Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Crucial BL25664AR80A 2x2GB
    30G SSD boot drive
    Antec 430 EarthWatts PS
    After reading all the great info available here, I've been able to overclock this baby to 3.91 (9x435). Seems to be sp_pi_mod stable.
    As you might have guessed, I'm looking to see if the cpu has anything left in it, but not sure how to proceed.
    I have most settings on auto except for the following:
    cpu host control=manual
    fsb=435
    pci bus=100
    Memory multiplier=2.00d (400mhz bootstrap)
    Memory XMP=disabled
    Memory performance=standard
    Memory timing spd=manual
    4-4-4-12
    advance memory settings 3-3-6-51-3
    Vcore=1.50
    Dram V=2.1
    all cpu enhancements settings set to disable (c1e,virtualization,etc.)
    I've been able to boot into windows at 4.0Ghz but it's not stable.
    Keeping all the other settings the same, I tried relaxing the memory settings but it craps out at 5-5-5-15. Don't know enough about what other settings I should be changing to keep pushing the cpu/system.
    To do some testing, I tried lowering the cpu multi to test how high the fsb/memory would go. Found out the following:
    I can overclock the CPU to 3.7-3.8 without any voltage changes (auto setting). Have to up the voltage (1.5) to get 3.9 stable.
    The RAM seems to run fine with 4-4-4-12@800-920 Anything greater than 920 at those settings and it craps out.
    The RAM seems to run fine with 5-5-5-15@920 and greater. But I can't seem to find a setting combo past 3.9GHZ that will let me use the higher frequency memory settings. Am I making any sense??

I know I probably just need to play around with manually setting the Vcore, ttl, nb, termination and reference voltages, but that's where I get a bit lost. I know about the ratios but I not sure where to start. Too many variables!!
    I'm OK with the system being maxed out at 3.9 if that turns out to be the case, but I sure like to try and squeeze everything I can out of it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks! and sorry to ramble on...

Default Re: EP45-UD3R + Q6600 Maxed out??

That's a damn good overclock for a Q6600 on air, especially an AC Freezer 7.

If you have the voltages set to Auto, the BIOS is probably overvolting the living hell out of your parts. You should post your complete settings (there are templates in various threads here) and the rest of the parts in your rig (video card, etc...), because that EA 430 may be right at the envelope if you have a hungy GFX card.

We'll do. I will try and post my complete settings. I have a run of the mill graphics card, EVGA 8400 GS (512Mb) since the system is not intended for gaming.
    Quick question. Should I be looking to replace my cooler with something else?? I was looking around and found the OCZ Vendetta 2 got solid reviews.
    Thanks!

Vendetta 2 is excellent, although this (same basic HS) comes with the X-bow mounting plate, a much better mounting system...

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK dark knight - s1283 120mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

you may try raising voltages in EasyTune 6 a bit and see if it has any effect. I think bigger CPU termination could improve stability...

Thank you all for your responses.
    I decided to stop being lazy, rolled up my sleeves and started playing with all the voltage settings using the proper ratios for a q6600 as guidance. Amazingly I ended up with a lower core voltage than when set to auto and was able to brake the 4.0g mark. This board/chip combo is amazing!!
    Temps are currently up there under load, so I followed a previous poster's advice and ordered a better HS. I'll update as soon as I get it. Wonder what it'll do then!
    I'm also trying to optimize my memory subsystem bandwidth. Latency is currently at 58-59ns with an average throughput of 8.6 MB/s.
    I gonna see if I can lower the performance # value to 6 or 7 (it's currently at 8) by playing with the Dram settings. I might need better sticks though.
    Thank you all for your help.
    I can post my bios settings if it'll help anyone with the same hardware.

can you please post some pictures of CPUz and EasyTune6 voltages page so I can set it also like you? :)

Thread Information