Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P35-DS4 Random BSOD's

Default P35-DS4 Random BSOD's

Hi guys.

Lately, I've been getting ever more frequent random blue screens. The system I'm using now (see below) has been stable for months (with the odd blue screen), but the blue screens seem to become more frequent as time goes by without any changes to the set-up.

The system configuration:

Code:
    Processor
    Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz

System
    System : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P35-DS4

Chipset
    Model : Giga-Byte P35/G33/G31 Processor to I/O Controller (BIOS F13)
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 333MHz (1.33GHz)
    Total Memory : 4GB DIMM DDR2 DDR3
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 400MHz (800MHz)

Memory Module(s)
    Memory Module : Corsair CM2X2048-6400C4DHX 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5.0-5-5-18 3-23-6-3)
    Memory Module : Corsair CM2X2048-6400C4DHX 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5.0-5-5-18 3-23-6-3)

Video System
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT  (512MB DDR3, 614MHz/1.43GHz/2x950MHz, PCIe 1.00 x16, PS3.0, VS3.0)

Power supply: Corsair HX520
    The SiSoft Sandra report seems to suggest the memory modules are running at the C5 timings, but I'm actually running those 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V, according to the specifications.

I've started collecting and analysing the minidumps lately, in order to try to pin the problem down to something, but have been unable to. So far I've fully analysed 5 minidumps and there seem to be only 2 error codes: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL. The common denominator seems to be that a particular driver is causing issues, however out of all the blue screens, it has only been the same driver twice, therefore it doesnt look to me like it's a particular driver causing the issue.

Things I've tried so far, of which none have worked:

• Change the memory modules to the alternate banks (1 & 3/2 & 4)
    • Tweak the memory timings and voltages (5-5-5-18 at 1.8V and the current)
    • Reformat to a clean Windows installation (including the Gigabyte-recommended drivers)
    • Tweak BIOS memory settings (disable loadline calibration, disable every OC option I could find, disable legacy external storage, AHCI settings)
    • Updated BIOS to the latest version
    • Ran both Memtest 86+ 2.11 and Windows Memory Diagnostic, which have both passed every single pass every single time I ran them
    • Ran OCCT for a 2 hour mixed stress test, which has passed

I like to think of myself as a fairly tech-savvy person (especially when it comes to hardware) even though not an expert on BIOS settings, but I'm completely out of ideas, which is why I'm posting here.

The main issue is I can not seem to reproduce this at all, there is no baseline test for me to check whether a particular tweak/setting works or doesn't. I used to think the BSOD's only happen while playing games, but lately it has been blue screening while I'm watching a video after having rebooted 3 minutes earlier. All this randomness (to me) usually suggests it's either a temperature or PSU related issue. Seeing as the blue screens can happen 3 minutes after I've booted my PC w/o doing CPU/GPU intensive things, I think I can safely rule temperatures out. That leaves the PSU; I've been monitoring the voltages on and off for the past 2 days, and the voltages seem stable enough and well within acceptable ranges, both while stress testing and idle.

Code:
    2.19 Volts [0x89] (DDR)
    3.33 Volts [0xD0] (+3.3V)
    4.95 Volts [0xB8] (+5V)
    12.29 Volts [0xC0] (+12V)
    3.09 Volts [0xC1] (VBAT)
    1.12 Volts [0x46] (CPU VCORE)
    The only thing that seemed a bit odd to me was that during stress testing the +5V voltages seem to fluctuate constantly. The differences are minor,but it's not a straight line like the other voltages. I don't know much about voltages, so I don't know whether that's normal or not.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but as previously mentioned I'm completely out of ideas and I wanted to provide as much information as I could. I realize this may not necessarily be a motherboard issue, but I'm hoping that someone here can help out to figure out what the hell is causing this BSOD problem. Thanks - at least - if you've read all my waffling up until this point :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: P35-DS4 Random BSOD's

I have the same CPU and board (Rev 2.0). Your CPU is underclocked quite a bit (4x333=1.332GHz). Your default CPU multiplier shoud be 9 (9x333). As you said, the stock speed for the E8400 is 3.00GHz. Did you make the FSB change or did the machine reboot with that setting? You might want to try booting with the optimized defaults and then record your BIOS settings. After that, even if you don't wish to overclock there is a wealth of info on the forum in this thread, http://forums.tweaktown.com/69/gigabyte-x38-p35-p965-ds-dq-s3-overclocking-general-bios-tweaking-guide-26112/[/URL].

Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

That underclock is actually not really an underclock. I don't know whether it's supposed to do that, but my CPU seems to underclock itself when not under load. I can see it clearly in CPUZ where the FSB would drop down and then up again, constantly. I always assumed that was a feature ...

One thing about this issue that I've noticed is that I might have a power leak somewhere, the case actually seems to be electrified, which has caused me to think that there's probably a connection between the motherboard and the case where one shouldn't be. Haven't looked into it much yet though.

Umm....don't let a little thing like an electrified case slow you down when troubleshooting. Eeeks! .... sounds like you found the problem. Now to find the source.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I know, I've been there before a long time ago, that time it was more obvious though. This problem seems to have been growing on the system, I don't recall it being there when I put this build together 8 months ago.

Just can not find the time and motivation to throw it open and refit it.

You may want to make the time or unplug the computer before the problem becomes a serious issue. Unless , of course, you wanted an excuse to replace your system anyway. Maybe if you can increase the electrification a bit you can use it as a bug zapper .... at least until it fries completely.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

be careful with stray voltage.

are you sure everything is grounded properly?

Thread Information