Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

Default Re: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

pfak, that is what I concluded, as I could run with upto 3 sticks & no matter which 3 out of 4 I used, never got any error in memtest86+. People at OCZ also blamed UD3P & other P45 board BIOS.

Given that any of the 4 modules run without error, 1 by itself or in pairs of 2 or 3, RAM has to be fine. But I RAM'd the thing just for sure; lets see what excuse Gigabyte's comes up with next!

Have you posted your finding on OCZ forum? Hope they have some good info to help you [& me] out. I'm waiting for my new RAM to come in; also Gary Key's article.

@pfak:
    So you have 4x4GB working, if all of them are not OCZ?

Somewhere else was a claim that one can expect errors, if the chips are not identical. But you get a working system by mixing types?

Intuitively, the MHC should go for the least common nominator, ie let the slowest spec'ed chip to determine the speed. "Mixing not safe" hints that MHC may not have logic to do that, and does not even have to as long as chips are identical. Cheaper and easier to make. But perhaps it has the logic and makes use of it here?

Or, the OCZ chips require something a bit more than the generic chip, and thus the sum of demand of 3xOCZ+1xGeneric is less than 4xOCZ, and the board can only offer something between those values.

Single chip always working while multiple fail is not strange at all, since the board quite certainly has sufficient power to drive two chips simultaneously, let alone a single chip.

Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    @pfak:
    So you have 4x4GB working, if all of them are not OCZ?

Somewhere else was a claim that one can expect errors, if the chips are not identical. But you get a working system by mixing types?
    Correct, I have been running memtest86+ with 3x4GB OCZ DDR2-800 + 1x4GB Aeneon DDR2-800 for the past 1 1/2 days with no errors.

The Aeneon AET960UD00-25D-S is a single sided DIMM, afaik (I can't check right now) while the OCZ2VU80016GQ are double sided. Maybe this is part of the problem?

Gigabyte has been absolutely *useless* when it comes to my dialog with them, they have by far the worst support I have ever had to deal with and I've been dealing with motherboard manufacturers for years. At most I get one sentence responses out of them.

Probably the last time I buy a Gigabyte board, and the build quality of them feels so much nicer than ASUS. :(

Has Gigabyte engineers been able to resolve/identify the cause of the errors? Or have they contacted OCZ or its engineers?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Mind posting your settings you are using for 16GB? I have not ran any 16GB setups before, so I just wanted to see if anything looked funny to me. If you are using Auto timings, please also include a memset image as well
    Tweakers.fr

Thanks

As a sidenote, 16GB working fine here in a P45 >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45-16gb-ram-28408/

These OCZ's >>
    OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 "P45 Special" Platinum 8GB Edition

Lsdmeasap, sorry for the delay. I just received replacement RAM from OCZ. The old RAM was the GOLD series [5-5-5-18] the new RAM is PLATINUM series [5-4-4-18]. OCZ2P8008GK

There are no more errors while running memtest86+ v2.11. But I am having a hard time stabilising the system. No problem if I use just 3 of these 4GB modules.

Advanced clock - DEFAULT
    Performance Enhance - STANDARD
    RAM Timing - SPD [which is 5-5-5-18]
    Load-Line Calibration - DISABLED
    CPU Vcore - AUTO
    all other voltages are set to - NORMAL [don't want anything over volted]

Sometimes it will boot into Vista, I can login & then all of a sudden reboot! Other times it reboots at the login screen or freezes while trying to login!

Have you tried placing a fan so that the RAM receices some airflow? I noticed when testing 4x2GB on an open tet bench that the RAM was overheating since it failed Prime without a fan but runs stable for more than 24 hours on the exact same settings when I use a fan.

Nickel020, I did a 13+ hour memtest86+ v2.11 test without any errors showing up! At least half the RAM, closer to the CPU socket, receives air flow from the CPU cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by asahito View Post
    Nickel020, I did a 13+ hour memtest86+ v2.11 test without any errors showing up! At least half the RAM, closer to the CPU socket, receives air flow from the CPU cooler.
    Now you have 8GB up running so far good ?

pg
    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
    G
    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

powergiga, no I am running all 16GB [4x4GB]. OCZ has shipped me replacement RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by asahito View Post
    Lsdmeasap, sorry for the delay. I just received replacement RAM from OCZ. The old RAM was the GOLD series [5-5-5-18] the new RAM is PLATINUM series [5-4-4-18]. OCZ2P8008GK

There are no more errors while running memtest86+ v2.11. But I am having a hard time stabilising the system. No problem if I use just 3 of these 4GB modules.

Advanced clock - DEFAULT
    Performance Enhance - STANDARD
    RAM Timing - SPD [which is 5-5-5-18]
    Load-Line Calibration - DISABLED
    CPU Vcore - AUTO
    all other voltages are set to - NORMAL [don't want anything over volted]

Sometimes it will boot into Vista, I can login & then all of a sudden reboot! Other times it reboots at the login screen or freezes while trying to login!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information