Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Janus Yeh! GA-EP45-UD3R powers off...help

Default Mr. Janus Yeh! GA-EP45-UD3R powers off...help

Hi,
    Been over the forums, but haven't found any specific answers. Here it is...

Running a Q6600 at 3.6Ghz (1.45Vcore) and OCZ Flex XLC RAM (1150Mhz) at 1200Mhz (2.2V)...runs very well and stable, EXCEPT a couple of minutes into Prime95 run (SmallFFT's), the power complete goes out! The PC shuts right off...
    CPU temps don't exceed 61 degrees at 100% load (I'm water cooled).

Running F6 BIOS, but also tried F5
    All other voltages are stock...
    Disabled any performance enhancing options...
    Disabled any clock/thermal reduction options...

Tried 1 stick of RAM...tried both in all slots...
    Have auxillary fan on NB cooler...

There is just no warning...the PC just shuts itself off!!
    Why!?

If I run at stock speeds, everything seems okay...although, I've never ran Prime95 for more than 30 minutes...

But when I tried populating all the RAM slots with 4 X 1GB of 1150Mhz RAM (running at 1066Mhz) and the shutoff problem comes back...
    Last edited by WuNgUn; 01-29-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Default Re: Mr. Janus Yeh! GA-EP45-UD3R powers off...help

It's b/c your overclock is not stable at all!!!
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
    Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
    1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
    eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
    (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
    (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
    lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

If it were not stable, I'd get BSOD, freezing and rebooting...not powering OFF!
    lol
    Ran the exact same setup on a P5Q with no issues at all. Rock solid...

clo007 may be right...
    Test your system without Windows OS running one hour of memtest86+ from floppy or boot CD and see what happens. You will be surprised.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

These newer P45's aren't really made for a quad core 1066(they do better with a dual core or the newer low voltage C2Q and QX), but thats not yer issue as it should work OK anyways. You do state that your not upping any other voltages(why)? If you trying to over clock the memory then only OC the memory(not the CPU also) get my drift?

You also state that (Have auxillary fan on NB cooler...) ummm, by chance what is its size and where is it plugged in at? Hope its not a 120MM plugged into the mother board header? As I've never seen a mother board come with one, and this could be an issue.

If you need help over clocking and I'm guessing thats what you want? You need to(say so first then)post all your system info, and all your bios settings as well, if the only voltage your changing is the CPU and the memory then this is where your issue is.

My last job I was a mind reader, I charge big money for it.
    PS I know you were asking Janus(by the way it's a she not a he) and she is a warranty rep not a technician.

I know I've only made a few posts here, but trust me, I've been around the block when it comes to computers...
    I don't need help overclocking...I want to know why this POS powers off! I found one other post where someone had this very issue and he RMA'd the board and bought a different board. Sounds like that's what I need to do...

Concerning voltages, why would I need to change the V on anything other than memory and CPU? The P5Q needed only those changes to run at 3.6Ghz/1200Mhz, and run at those speeds all day long.
    400Mhz on the system bus shouldn't be overclocking the NB, so it shouldn't need and extra V, right? Many other CPU's use 400Mhz FSB...
    There are 2 X 120mm fans on the mainboard header for the radiator (controlled by SpeedFan) + 1 X 80mm for the NB, which has been unplugged for awhile.
    As far as finding the limits of both CPU and RAM, yes, I have OC'd them both seperately...but it doesn't matter, I still get the power-off thing under Prime95.
    Only if I leave it COMPLETELY stock speeds does it run Prime95 without any issues.
    But, the whole time it's running Prime95 OC'd, there are no errors, freezes, BSOD...just powering off, which I've never seen happen before on any other system...

I've put a multimeter on the power rails during stress testing, and the 12v rail holds steady at 12.02V but sometimes drops 0.01V.
    Both 5V and 3.3V are 5.03V and 3.34V respectively and don't budge...
    Pretty good if you ask me...
    Last edited by WuNgUn; 01-29-2009 at 08:30 PM.

i don't want to sound like an ass, but obviously you need to learn more in regards to overclocking and stability. You stated you only run Prime for 30minutes. Any OC guru will tell you, including myself, to run Prime for 12hrs.
    If you are felling Prime at anytime, whether it be 2 minutes or 12 hrs, you are not stable!!! And yes, Prime sometimes will shut your computer off, crash Prime, lock computer up, etc.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

It NEVER sometimes freezes, or BSOD or restarts...it ALWAYS shuts off. Whether I'm at 2.6Ghz or 3.6Ghz...
    And if I can run Prime on a P5Q for 30 minutes or 30 hours with the same hardware, whether or not it can or will go longer, I SHOULD be able to reach that on this board...even if it's a POS board, I should be able to get 15 minutes out of it.
    If I go 15 minutes or 12 hours, and get an error or BSOD or lockup, then I obviously know I'm not stable...
    But that's not the case...
    IT'S POWERING OFF!!
    Either it's a defective board or defective PSU...

And you are coming off as an ass, sorry...
    I've been doing this since before the advent of the internet! Which is a LONG time!
    And I've NEVER had a PC shut off on me (remember, NOT rebooting) from loading the CPU(s)...

I don't see how you are comparing the stability of Prime on one motherboard manufacturer vs another. They make things differently, bios' run differently, which in turn, effects the way it benches.

BTW, I feel your frustration as I have two EP45-UD3Rs, a rev 1.0 and rev 1.1, and neither will run in dual channel. I have 5 different sets of ram to test with and all 5 do the same thing on both motherboards. I think either the bios on these UD3Rs has a serious bug that Gigabyte either is not aware of or ignoring, or, they have some serious quality control issues occurring right now.
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

I'm making the comparison because they are both P45 chipsets, NB and SB...
    In fact, I was able to keep my RAID array from the Asus board and run it on the Gigabyte board. They are more similar than you think...
    But yeah, hardware/BIOS make a huge difference...

The P5Q was the best board I ever had...dead reliable and stable.
    Until one day, it wouldn't POST!
    I told myself that was the last Asus board I ever buy! (Blew a P5N32-E, probably the WORST mainboard I ever owned)...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information