Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H - Unable to Retrieve S.M.A.R.T. Data

Default GA-MA78GPM-DS2H - Unable to Retrieve S.M.A.R.T. Data

I have a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard (Bios revision F1) with two WD10EACS HDs plugged into the first two SATA ports with Windows Home Server as the main operating system. I am unable to retrieve the S.M.A.R.T. data (enabled in the BIOS) from these two drives in either AHCI or IDE mode.

My primary configuration is AHCI mode so I figured why not try IDE mode. I set the BIOS for Native IDE mode and booted with a Linux Knopix DVD. I was unable to retrieve the SMART data (always reports SMART not supported) under Linux using smartctl but it did detect the drives. I downloaded Western Digital Lifeguard Tools and loaded the suite on a floppy. I booted into it and the tools are unable to get data from the drives in either IDE or AHCI mode. The Windows version of these tools have the same issue.

I thought it was interesting that under both AHCI and IDE modes, smartctl will detect the drives as SCSI. I checked the BIOS and when AHCI mode is enabled, it lists the drives as SCSI - <hd model="">. Running the Western Digital Diagnostics tool shows SMART status not available and when you run the mouse over that status, a popup window comes up saying that has text stating SMART status may not be accessible for SCSI, firewire, or USB drives.

I was thinking about moving one of the SATA drives from the computer to another computer that can retrieve SMART data from its drives to see if it is maybe a hard drive problem but I seriously doubt it is a HD issue. I think the problem is related to the drive being reported as SCSI by the motheboard.

Does anyone out there have this motherboard and if so, are you able to retrieve SMART data from your drives?

Thanks for your help,

PrototypeSKB</hd>

Default Re: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H - Unable to Retrieve S.M.A.R.T. Data

Update:

I downloaded the latest BIOS (revision F3) for the motherboard and updated successfully but the problem is still there.

Horrible response from Gigabyte tech support, I wasn't expecting much but wow:

"Smart does not apply to under ahci only IDE
    There are no need to enable S.M.A.R.T unless your hdd which you are using are fully optimized for it. SMART are no longer being used on SATA drives, mostly on IDE
    Any issue which you are experiencing with the system?"

Load of crap. I'm hoping someone out there has this motherboard and can do a quick install of smartmontools or other free utility and take a quick peek to see if you can get SMART data from a drive.
    Last edited by PrototypeSKB; 02-01-2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Received reply from Gigabyte.

Angry Re: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H - Unable to Retrieve S.M.A.R.T. Data

Hi

I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS4 v2.1 with sata disks, samsung HD501LJ, XP SP3 same problem, cant use a SMART program to catch problems.
    SMART disabled, it reports, its NOT. Enabled in bios! new bios installed..
    Frustrating. Im not using raid.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

My P35-DS4 could pull smart data, as can my P45-DS4P.

I do not have my P35 setup, but here is proof that it works fine in my P45 board on my Backup Drive (OUCH Look at that reallocated sector count! ) >>>

I use Everest Ultimate and Seagate drives. Maybe it is just your drives are not properly recognized by the programs you are using?

I gave up on this BTW. The responses I got from Gigabyte were comedic at best.

I found this info for you, looks like it is the Drivers that are failing to work properly and not the board >>>
    0001365: No SMART with Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H - Almico's Bug Tracker

Tools mentioned in that link are here >>
    http://smartmontools-win32.dyndns.org/smartmontools/

Full report (Scroll out to the middle at the top)
    http://www.bugtrack.almico.com/print...-1&show_flag=0

Ya, they must translate and then translate again so replies can get short or funny. Have you tried writing in Chinese to see if the answer was any better? Just a thought
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-16-2009 at 03:28 AM.

Amazing, i messed around on the Intel site, installed a check chipset drivers, updated, no fun, last thing installed was a new Intel matrix storage Manager console, I think it was after that, when i restarted it worked! I was aiming for a update of my IHC9R driver hoping that it would help, searching for it, I've updated what I've found, and now it works. It seems to have been a driver issue. Cheers!

Sorry I did not think to mention that, you could have installed the Matrix app, or Updated Intel Chipset Drivers and they both would update your disk drivers.

Sorry again, I did not think to mention that as I assumed you had both installed already.

Nice to see you got it going!

Well I know for sure I didnt have any Yellow question marks in the dev mgr, fwiw, but not 100% sure if all chipsetdrivers where there.
    Im also sure I had a Intel Matrix Storage mgr there before too. As I was inside it, looking for SMART info. So my suggestion is that it wasnt a missing driver, just an update that solved it.
    Big cheers for all quick reply's!
    Brgs G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information