Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Stuttering & BSODs - UD3R

Default Stuttering & BSODs - UD3R

I have been using the EP45-UD3R for about a month now and have not been able to get it to run correctly.

2x2 GB G. Skill DDR2-800
    Q6600 C2Q
    Geforce 6800 GT
    DVD-RW
    WD 500 GB SATA
    WD 60GB IDE
    WD 30GB IDE

I'm not overclocking or anything right now. Everything is stock.

I'm running Vista64 and I have ridiculous latencies (as measured with DPC latency checker). My audio stuttuers when I'm playing MP3s whenever I try to multitask (and I mean simple things like starting another program). My game (Sims2) BSODs when I try to start it. Sometimes I can get it to start when I turn off my second display. If i take out one of the sticks of RAM (either one, I've tried both), the game can start, but the game play is choppy. In general, the system is sluggish whenever I have a few things going beyond just a browser window and perhaps itunes. iTunes runs like crap unless I only put 1 stick of RAM in.

I've tried other video cards (9800 GT), other RAM, different HDDs.

I've disabled drivers in XP so that only the system drivers are running, 1 USB (for mouse), and the display driver was running and the problems persist.

Anyone can help me figure this out? I have been in contact with Gigabyte. The told me to bump my RAM voltage, which I tried. I went to 2.0V with no change in behavior. I know my system should not run like this, please help.

I also have an alert in vista saying SMBus has conflict with windows. In device manager, it says there is no driver installed. When I run apps like HWMonitor (which stutters annoyingly--my mouse jumps all around the screen), it can't report the voltage on my 12V rail. It will read like 2V, but using the easytune 6 app (which also causes stuttering), it reads 12.6V (as does the bios when I check it). I don't even know if all these issue are related, I'm just noting all the different things I've observed.
    Last edited by crankerchick; 01-29-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Default Re: Stuttering & BSODs - UD3R

Do not use GSATA (purple ones); have you tried this? I did get stutter with UD3R using DVD-player connected with GSATA; now I only use esata hds with those; driver is not disabled, the stutter comes only when a device is connected (and the sata dvd was allways connected). I use esata only when I do my backups so it does not matter then.
    Last edited by Sakkeus; 02-01-2009 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm not using the GSATA ports at all. I experience the behavior regardless of all hdd setups. Originally, I had the OS installed on an IDE drive and my single SATA drive was just for storage and the behavior was evident. I tried hdds in all configurations and eventually a single barebones setup to no avail.

I've submitted a request to RMA the board.

Did you install the chipset driver? What is your hdd setup: ahci/raid?

Yes the chipset driver was the first driver I installed. On first install I had the OS installed on a 60 GB IDE drive and then a 30 GB IDE for storage and a 500 GB SATA for storage. The BIOS settings were all at the default, so no AHCI or RAID for either the Intel ports or the GSATA ports. When I went barebones, I just had the SATA drive on the intel ports, again no AHCI or RAID enabled.

In your first post you mentioned both Vista and XP therefore it seems to be not s/w related issue. Something is wrong for sure. I would rma the mobo.

Ah I didn't realize I made a mistake in my first post, calling out XP. Actually, The problem persists only in Vista. I did an install of XP and it seems to work mostly ok, which really makes one think its a Vista thing, not a motherboard thing. Unfortunately, the problem is there in Vista long before I ever start installing software (I can confirm the stuttering on a clean install with only the chipset and video drivers installed). It's very wierd to say the least, but I can consistently get vista to crash with 2 sticks of RAM and run a little better with 1. In any event, the board is getting RMA because I've tried swapping out everything else to no avail. If the problem persists with the replacement, then I'll probably just buy a new brand board. Already considering the Asus P5Q Pro if it comes to that.

If the Gigabyte EnergySaver (GSvr.exe) service is installed, disable it and see if that solves the problem. On my EP45-UD3R, disabling GSvr.exe dropped my DPC latencies from 500Ás to 5Ás.

Thread Information