Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Newbie wishing to overclock

Default Newbie wishing to overclock

Hi,
    I have a Q6600 GO SLACR (kentsfield)on a GA P35-DS4 with the latest bios and 4 1GB PC28500 Dominator Sticks running W7
    I have been reading about overclocking and have managed to overclock to 3ghz and 3.2ghz but have been worried about temps so at the moment it's at 2.8ghz
    I have a Antec 900 case and fitted a Artic Freezer 7
    Could someone give me some base settings so i can check temps might be normal.
    OCCT runs ok at 2.4ghz but when clocked it stops after a minute when set to 70 but if i set it to 80 it will go longer but as ive said a bit nervous so running it slower@2.8ghz
    Also OCCT shows 4 different temps 2 6 degrees lower again this maybe normal.
    Thanks for any help and guidance.
    V8 Animal

Default Re: Newbie wishing to overclock

I would start by running EVEREST to get an accurate temp in windows.
    I got friends with the Q6600 and they are around 40-50C overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by bodean View Post
    I would start by running EVEREST to get an accurate temp in windows.
    I got friends with the Q6600 and they are around 40-50C overclocking.
    I downloaded everest home edition 2.20.405 i can't find temps is this the wrong version?

Try Everest Ultimate Edition v4.60

Quote Originally Posted by ill View Post
    Try Everest Ultimate Edition v4.60
    Yeah found that last night 30 day trial then you have to pay.
    Is this correct?

Is paying correct?

Why didn't you start with 2 - 2GB sticks equating to 4GB instead of 4 - 1GB sticks?

For help...did you try a search?

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-p...imm-bug-29138/
    Last edited by ill; 01-30-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill View Post
    Is paying correct?

Why didn't you start with 2 - 2GB sticks equating to 4GB instead of 4 - 1GB sticks?

For help...did you try a search?

When i built the pc i bought 2 sticks i bought 2 further sticks 6 months later as prices dropped.
    I will take a look at the link when i get home.
    Thanks m8

Chucko is offline Member

Most Q6600s can easily run 24/7 at 3GHz or better given adequate cooling. The Antec 900 case flows plenty of air, so that's not an issue. Check your CPU cooler installation. You may need a bigger cooler, preferably one with a 120mm fan. The Freezer 7 was great in its day but it wasn't designed to handle OC'd quad cores.

I have a Q6600 running 24/7 at 3GHz in an Antec 300 case, and a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 keeps it well under 70C even in Linpack torture testing.

If you get one of the bigger coolers, be sure to get a bolt-through mounting kit for it. Push pins are a pain on a large cooler.

Variations in temperature readings between cores are normal. Some of it is due to uneven workload sharing between cores (e.g. single-threaded programs will usually hammer core 0), some due to calibration differences between the sensors themselves. My CPU reports core-to-core differences of 6-7C at idle, more depending on workload.

I have found that the Gigabyte BIOS "Auto" voltage settings tend to apply far higher voltages than are necessary for modest overclocks. This may be contributing to your heat issues. I suggest you manually set the voltages as low as you can go and still get stable. My Q6600 runs 3GHz at stock core voltage and reduced CPU Termination and MCH core voltages! See how far you can take yours at stock voltage settings.
    Last edited by Chucko; 01-30-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added manual voltage suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
    Most Q6600s can easily run 24/7 at 3GHz or better given adequate cooling. The Antec 900 case flows plenty of air, so that's not an issue. Check your CPU cooler installation. You may need a bigger cooler, preferably one with a 120mm fan. The Freezer 7 was great in its day but it wasn't designed to handle OC'd quad cores.

I have a Q6600 running 24/7 at 3GHz in an Antec 300 case, and a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 keeps it well under 70C even in Linpack torture testing.

If you get one of the bigger coolers, be sure to get a bolt-through mounting kit for it. Push pins are a pain on a large cooler.

Variations in temperature readings between cores are normal. Some of it is due to uneven workload sharing between cores (e.g. single-threaded programs will usually hammer core 0), some due to calibration differences between the sensors themselves. My CPU reports core-to-core differences of 6-7C at idle, more depending on workload.

I have found that the Gigabyte BIOS "Auto" voltage settings tend to apply far higher voltages than are necessary for modest overclocks. This may be contributing to your heat issues. I suggest you manually set the voltages as low as you can go and still get stable. My Q6600 runs 3GHz at stock core voltage and reduced CPU Termination and MCH core voltages! See how far you can take yours at stock voltage settings.
    Thanks for the help with the cooler are you using the crossbolt kit as it has the same push pins fixing?
    Fancy a Noctua cooler.
    I followed this quide for my ram
    Overclocked to 3.0 ghz 333x9 at the moment Core Temp 48/49/40/42 vcore 1.3250v and tj.max 100% whatever that means.
    Think i need more help!
    Paul

Chucko is offline Member

Yes, I'm using the Crossbow mounting kit, I tried the push pins and nearly lost some skin on the fins of the cooler as a result!

You should do just fine with the bigger cooler. Noctua, TRUE, Xigmatec are all good, among others.

Thread Information