Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

flyfisher is offline Member

Default Re: How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

Yellow Intel ICH10R ports do support hotswap when in AHCI mode. But I don't know if there is a "safely remove" tray icon. I don't know about Vista, but with XP you must either slipstream (nlite) the Intel AHCI drivers or put them on a floppy and do the F6 trick. There are a couple other more complex methods that work but my Windows installs are unattended, including driver and application installs, so it is easier for me to include the jmicron drivers. My eSATA drive works fine on the Gigabyte ports.

Default Re: How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

Wow so I went ahead and installed the jmicron drivers and hooked up the sata cable to the purple sata hookups and it seemy worked! Ok now I am getting the "safely remove hardware" however I now lost the ability to monitor the temperature of the external hard drive with the SMART feature using HDtune. How odd is that, that the drive isn't providing smart status like it did before??

flyfisher have you tried to get SMART status of the drive with the jmicron slots? Everything is working except that very important feature for me now.

Well I have scanned the web and its seems a common problem on the Intel ICH10R ports. There is an application called HotSwap! which will let you do the same thing as the "safely remove hardware" option. I can't understand why intel would not provide this with there drivers.

Well just ran into this puppy:
    Intel® Matrix Storage Technology

eSATA hard drive not visible in the "safely remove" operating system's system tray icon
    Affects:
    Windows Vista/Windows Vista64/Windows XP/Windows XP64

I haven't tried HDTune, but Everest reports the temps just fine.

Edit: Just tried HDTune v.2.55 and it is working too.

OT: What does the spin retry count threshold mean? I am getting a yellow warning on my eSATA drive.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 02-12-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Everest sees to correct temp after checking but HDTune 2.55 (regular free version) doesn't for the external when connected to the purple sata connector. Fly are you testing the external drive? I updated my Intel Storage manager last night to the latest and the drive still does not show up with safely remove option. So I just installed HotSwap and kept the drives in the yellow ports.

I have 3 seagate drives 2 news ones and I also have yellow in the spin recount. The new Hitachi drive I just got doesn't show yellow for that so I assume its a seagate thing.

That HDTune screenie was of my Seagate in a Thermaltake eSATA enclosure. Shows temperature just fine. Maybe it's related to the chipset used in the external drive enclosure. I also for sh!ts and giggles did an install with AHCI enabled on the Intel ports and there is no safely remove hardware try icon. I see no advantage to AHCI, disk performance is about the same, and it takes longer to boot due to the AHCI BIOS looking for drives. And thanks for confirming the Seagate spin recount issue. How does the HotSwap utility work for you so far?
    Last edited by flyfisher; 02-13-2009 at 12:29 AM.

HotSwap is working well. It always shows in the taskbar even when no drive is present which is the only downside since I set it to autostart. When I eject the drive seems to work fine. I can hear the external spinning down.

I tried 2 different sata enclosures. 1st is an Antec MX-1 and the other is a kingwin. Both show no temperatures via HDTune but do inside Everest, so go figure. I emailed the HDTune people see if they know why that is.

Exclamation Re: How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

hi here's my record on eSATA's problems and solution...

http://albertoycc.blogspot.com/2009/...ing-esata.html

HOWTO: 2.5" Seagate 320GB using eSATA
    1. update latest driver for ur sata chipset
    i, intel ich family chipset go to Intel® Matrix Storage Manager - Intel® Matrix Storage Manager support
    ii, jmicron chipset go to ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/
    2. go to BIOS enable the AHCI for SATA mode
    3. install seagate 2.5" into HD case that support eSATA
    4. connect power to HD case to USB
    5. connect eSATA to HD case to PC/Laptop
    6. refresh page in device manager, new disk drive should be detected
    7. initialize the new drive, skip the dynamic drive
    8. create primary/extended partition follow by create logical partition(if u created extended)
    9. format it and ready to go
    10. here's a few recommended software to test out how well ur external HD performs
    i, HotSwap!
    ii, Bart's Stuff Test 5
    iii, HD Tune
    iv, MojoPac

ENJOY!
    Last edited by j2innet; 06-24-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information