Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

Question How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

As the title reads I have an external SATA hard drive connect to the GA-EP45-UD3P's sata card and I don't see a way of safely ejecting the drive. I read that if "write cache is enabled" in the device manager (which it is) you must eject it safely. But its not showing up for me in the "safely remove hardware" panel. Heck the icon isn't even showing up.

Default Re: How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

bump

Default Re: How to Eject a SATA External Hard Drive "Safely Remove Hardware" Not Showing Up

Try this little tool, maybe it fixes your problem:
    HotSwap!

thanks Nickel020,

I'll give that a try. I am still curious if other gigabyte owners are experiencing this same issue.

esata or internal sata in ahci is hot swappable so you simply plus it in and out

Thats actually correct, the hot swapple piece, but you don't simply turn it on and off. If I turn the external drive off while windows is on and nothing is being done to the drive I get a an event viewer message about "ftdisk". So that means I have to find a way to safely remove the sata before ejecting it.

i have an ep45-dq6 and using one of the 6 Intel ports for esata. and when i pull out the cable the matrix storage software notifies me when its removed, same thing when i add it. no errors what so ever. when you power down the device while plugged in, the system assumes failure and not removal

On the other system I have that is running XP. My external sata drive and my internals all show up in the Safely Remove Hardware. When I eject the external on that system its does so correctly and then I power down the external. No system event error message.

I don't want the system to assume failure and I certainly don't want to shut it off while there are open handles which can cause corruption.

flyfisher is offline Member

If you connect your eSATA to the purple Gigabyte SATA ports, you can install the Jmicron jmb36x driver and get the safely remove hardware icon in the system tray. The Gigabyte controller is a rebranded jmicron chip. Drivers are available here. Enable the "onboard SATA/IDE device" and set to to "IDE" in the integrated peripherals section of the BIOS. Disabling write cache severely affected performance for me.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 02-12-2009 at 04:12 AM.

flyfisher any idea why the yellow sata ports on the gigabyte board don't support hot swapping via the the safely remove feature?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information