Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45 DS3R q6600 overclock guidlines

Chucko is offline Member

Default Re: EP45 DS3R q6600 overclock guidlines

65C is a bit high but not unusual during stress testing. Linpack will push it up another 6-10C IME. When core temps get into the 70s, I get nervous, but anything below that in stress testing is OK. What are you using for a CPU cooler? The Kentsfield quads throw off a lot of heat.

I had to back off memory timings on my rig because they were right on the edge of instability. I would run Memtest86+ overnight and get anywhere from 1 to a couple dozen errors. I prefer to see 0, thank you! Check to see if this is happening with your setup.

Chucko,

I used Linpack to stress my CPU. My temps were as high as 74 degrees Celsius. I was very nervous, but just think what was going through my mind when I began to smell something like that new mobo smell. I do believe that my CPU was about to burn up. I was getting very nervous. When I tried to use OCCT, it stopped the test. The CPU was getting too hot for it to continue.
    Last edited by ill; 02-06-2009 at 01:18 AM.

I'm using the stock cooler for now as I didn't expect such a mild overclock to throw up any problems but if you think that could be causing my problems i'll investigate into getting a better one.
    I just read so many posts (not specifically with gigabyte boards) saying they were capable of a 3ghz overclock on the stock cooler that I just reasoned I would be fine.
    But maybe they didn't do any testing...?
    Memtest86+ has been running since yesterday afternoon (walltime: 20h 40m) with 0 errors and 30 passes. is it safe to assume my memory is ok? (still using stock timings @ 2.1v)
    I will be away for the weekend, so I might not reply straight away if you post anymore tips.
    Thanks for now!

Chucko is offline Member

20+ hours of Memtest without errors sounds stable to me!

It's your call whether you need a bigger cooler for your uses. My philosophy is, the more cooling capacity the system has, the longer it will live, and the fewer problems it will give. I also prefer to stress the system harder during the initial overclocking phase than I will actually use the system in practice. That way I don't get any surprises down the road.

My house is not air conditioned so we occasionally get indoor ambient temperatures as high as 40C in summer. That's another good reason to have some extra cooling margin!

Quote Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
    20+ hours of Memtest without errors sounds stable to me!

It's your call whether you need a bigger cooler for your uses. My philosophy is, the more cooling capacity the system has, the longer it will live, and the fewer problems it will give. I also prefer to stress the system harder during the initial overclocking phase than I will actually use the system in practice. That way I don't get any surprises down the road.

My house is not air conditioned so we occasionally get indoor ambient temperatures as high as 40C in summer. That's another good reason to have some extra cooling margin!
    Hi There,

just an update (with bad news, i'm afraid):

I think I may have ****ed something up, my pc won't boot anymore after installing a new cpucooler!
    I've checked all my connections and videocard but I'm not getting into the bootscreen. I was pretty carefull about not flexing the board to much and wore an antistatic wristband throughout the procedure but didn't do a complete rebuild so it was a bit of a pallaver getting the board back into the case...
    I've learn't my lesson (i hope) and next week i'll go through some troubleshooting again
    cheers so far

If you have just changed the CPU cooler and nothing else I would try the following:
    - check and double-check all the cable connections and make sure you've switched the PSU back on
    - take out the mainboard battery and leave it out for a while, preferrably overnight. Also disconnect AC power

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    If you have just changed the CPU cooler and nothing else I would try the following:
    - check and double-check all the cable connections and make sure you've switched the PSU back on
    - take out the mainboard battery and leave it out for a while, preferrably overnight. Also disconnect AC power
    Did everything you said and cleaned away, reapplied thermal paste and system is up and running again!

Now if only I could get it stable @ 3ghz!! I seem to be the only one in the community not cappable of getting my q6600 g0 rev. stable (in Prime95) @3ghz.
    I've followed all the tips i've found, haven't done anything wild with ram timings and still prime gives a fatal error after about 8 minutes!!
    Have you got any ideas? I'd be much obliged.

I guess this is your PSU, if you have a cheap PSU then it very likely is.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What is your exact settings you are using, and your full specs again please? I can help you get 3Ghz easy, provided you do not have a hardware issue of course.

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................
    tRCD .........................................
    tRP'...........................................
    tRAS..........................................

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................
    tWTR..........................................
    tWR............................................
    tRFC...........................................
    tRTP...........................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Welcome back Lsdmeasap!
    I randomly walked by here a few days ago and saw that many threads went completely unanswered since you took some time off. I tried to cover a little bit for you as best as I could :)
    And kudos for doing this, I've only been here for a few days but the laziness of people coming here making crappy posts and expecting solutions is already starting to get on my nerves... I don't know how you do it but I admire you for it! ;)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information