Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45 Extreme & Q9550 @ 4.0 Stability problem

Default EP45 Extreme & Q9550 @ 4.0 Stability problem

Hi

I have managed to get my Q9550 to 4.0 ghz on vista 64 bit os and it seems to be running fine in normal use (I am on it now as i type)
    The problem is when i try to check stability with OCCT prog it crashes after about 2 min of the test. Randomly it says core 1 error or core 3 error. I think i am really close to getting this stable and am wondering if it is a voltage problem.

Here are my settings in bios at the moment.

CPU VCORE .................1.3265
    CPU TERMINATION ......1.32
    CPU PLL .....................1.60
    CPU REF .................... 0.84
    MCH CORE ..................1.40
    MCH REF..... ...............0.836
    MCH/DRAM .... ............1.010
    ICH I/O ......................1.500
    ICH CORE .... ..............1.100
    DRAM VOLTAGE ...........2.10
    DRAM TERMINATION ......auto
    CHANNEL REF ..............auto

i am running at 8x500 fsb with gskill pc8000 memory at 1/1 divider at 1000 mhz this gives 4.0 ghz. Temps are low 30's at idle and 50 to 52 at full load (using water)
    vdroop goes down to about 1.285 on cpuz

any ideas if i need to tweak any of these settings to get it more stable or are any of these settings to high and dangerous? :)

thx in advance
    Last edited by Griff7520; 02-01-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Samsung Evo polaris 250gb
    16Gb Avexir core red series
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Default Re: EP45 Extreme & Q9550 @ 4.0 Stability problem

What stepping is your cpu??

I have an EP45-UD3P motherboard, and I am myself at 4ghz 500FSB with a C1 stepping Q9550.

My suggestions are as follows: your choice ffor OCCT as a stability program is GREAT it's really all you will need unless you designed your system for crunching numbers.

The voltages you listed I adjusted below to auto for certain settings.
    Let me explain, you need a baseline of what could possibly be throwing stability off, and by adjusting all those settings at once you have no idea of the isolated voltage issue if there is one. This way is allot easier to try trial and error due to only 4 settings.

I recommend OCCT be set for a custom time frame of 10 minutes to do trial and error testing as it usually will fail within that time frame if it's a seriously unstable system

Once you get it passing 10 minutes under mix run it again under memory only and see if it passes again for more isolation testing.

By the time it passes both mix and memory testing in 10 minute increments your very close to the correct settings if not RIGHT ON THEM try a half hour mix setting and that's it for stability testing as I can assure you if it passes all that you will never crash during gaming or regular day to day software use.

My advice on where to start voltage adjustments would be dependant on the stepping (C1 or E0). Myself having a C1 version requires more volt core to hold stable than an E0 version. This also makes the C1 CPU run at higher temperatures which is of no concern as long as you have a proper cooling solution.

I always look at the Vcore first cause it's the basic rule of thumb in overclocking. Your curent voltage is fine for an E0, but a C1 it's on the low side for that kind of FSB. If yours is a C1, adjust volt core to 1.425 (It sounds high yet under ET6 you will see it undervolts a great deal).

As for CPU VTT or (termination voltage) I need 1.58 to hold stable DON"T LET THIS SCARE YOU...I know many people post about VTT voltage killing 45nm CPUs however If you want more proof please read this post http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...-stable-7.html( I suggest reading from the 1st page to the end, but this page towards the bottom is pretty much all you need under 45nm max safe voltage)and do your homework there are PLENTY more debunking this myth..

CPU PLL voltage for my C1 is set at 1.65 volts, and to be honest thats all I bother tweaking the rest of the voltages are on auto. These are the most critical for overall stability I believe you will find.

One other suggestion your strap setting for memory. If it turns out to be the memory being unstable after OCCT testing then set the memory strap to 2B (or 333mhz) I know for me it's my sweet spot for stability.

Good luck and hope to hear back with your results.

VCORE .................1.3265
    CPU TERMINATION ......1.32
    CPU PLL .....................1.60
    CPU REF .................... auto
    MCH CORE ..................auto
    MCH REF..... ...............auto
    MCH/DRAM .... ............auto
    ICH I/O ......................auto
    ICH CORE .... ..............auto
    Last edited by Storm2313; 02-02-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intel Q9550 (C1 Stepping) @ 4GHZ 500FSB

Thermalright Ultra 120mm & IC 7 Carat with 120mm Logisys Green LED fan.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Rev 1.0)

8 Gigs OCZ Platinum PC-8500 (5-5-5-18)

2 Western Digital 250 gigs 16mb Cache SATA II's Raid-0 Array

Vista Ultimate 64 bit Operating System

PC Power & Cooling Silent 610 watt SLI certified
    80 PLUS

Cooler Master CM 690 (Nvidia Edition)

Case Cooling: 3 120mm Logisys Green LED fans, 2 120mm Panaflow top mounted extractors and 1 Cooler Master Silent front mounted Green LED120mm fan

EVGA GTX 260 (Stock Speed)

Thanks for your answer mate. Mine is a E0 stepping.

Are you saying i need to put my cpu termination upto 1.58 from 1.32...just want to verify before doing it

thx
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

No.. you should however raise it slowly to find stability if it's the culprit keeping your system back..

Big Hint..Run ET6 with everything on "AUTO" setting in your bios trying to let the system boot to your new goal overclock .

When windows starts open ET6 to see the automatic voltage adjustments settings they will look high DON'T PANIC (THE BIOS UNDERVOLTS)..Write them down on a piece of paper.

Run OCCT and follow the instructions I gave you earlier on testing for 10 minute intervals first mix then ram only.

If she turns out be stable for the 10 minute runs utilizing both mix and ram increase duration to 30 minutes.

Now your creating a baseline to find the correct voltages required for your system. Next adjust just one "auto" setting at a time to find stability for that individual setting.

(EXAMPLE: adjust the cpu core voltage with all other settings left on auto and test 10 minutes mix,10 minutes ram, 30 minutes mix ,and move on to the next setting.)

Just go in order first the CPU and find its stability threshhold then VTT and so on, but stop after PLL unless you know exact settings as they can be quite tedious.

Its a bit time consuming, but it's the best way to see what setting is really holding you back, and it will take some time, but not NOT 24 hours, and you will have stability.. The key is very small increments and Gigabyte gives us a great voltage spread for all settings.

This is the easiest way I have found to achieve a great overclock and stability in under 3 hours of testing.

I don't think Prime, Orthos, or any other program holds a candle to OCCT for everyday computing which is what MOST of us really use them for..

I bet with your water cooling setup you will get great temps too.
    Last edited by Storm2313; 02-04-2009 at 01:01 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

80 PLUS

Case Cooling: 3 120mm Logisys Green LED fans, 2 120mm Panaflow top mounted extractors and 1 Cooler Master Silent front mounted Green LED120mm fan

Will give it a go

thx
    Last edited by Griff7520; 02-03-2009 at 04:26 AM.
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

i now have these settings and managed to run 10 min without errors

VCORE .................1.3265
    CPU TERMINATION ......1.40
    CPU PLL .....................1.50
    CPU REF .................... auto
    MCH CORE ..................auto
    MCH REF..... ...............auto
    MCH/DRAM .... ............auto
    ICH I/O ......................auto
    ICH CORE .... ..............auto
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Great job!!..

Now go to a 30 minute mix and run it and see if she's stable then your set.

I bet you will agree it's so much easier when you adjust each setting one by one testing seperately for voltage issues.

What temps are you running just for giggles?

Good Luck..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

80 PLUS

Tried again after initial test but it failed after 3 min. Upped the cpu voltage to 1.375 because i have had better results at that voltage and it passed the 10 min test ok.

Temps at idle was 32 to 38 and 42 to 47 under load. That is at medium test in OCCT. I then tried the 10 min linpack test but it failed after 5 min. The temps were 55 to 59 on this test.

I then stopped working on it and played COD5 for a couple of hours with no problems so it seems for everyday use it is stable. Maybe i should just leave it at these settings.

What do you think, will it do any harm if i leave it as it is.
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

You will be fine with those settings, however I think you possibly could lower the volt core after further testing.

I'm happy you got her playing COD 5...I don't think linpack really is required if your temps are good (Yours are EXCELLENT)..

Think about this stability is really all in our minds. If the system works for what your currently using it for isn't that stability? Too many people spend there days benching and stabalizing instead of using there dam system..

You will be very happy at your current settings, and as I posted you could always in your free time try testing to find better settings just take your time and get a feel for OCCT it's GREAT..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

80 PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Storm2313 View Post
    You will be fine with those settings, however I think you possibly could lower the volt core after further testing.

I'm happy you got her playing COD 5...I don't think linpack really is required if your temps are good (Yours are EXCELLENT)..

Think about this stability is really all in our minds. If the system works for what your currently using it for isn't that stability? Too many people spend there days benching and stabalizing instead of using there dam system..

You will be very happy at your current settings, and as I posted you could always in your free time try testing to find better settings just take your time and get a feel for OCCT it's GREAT..
    ....thanks for the help mate....much appreciated...will lower the vcore down a bit and then see how it goes from there .
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Thread Information