Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help ga-x58-ud5 Random black screen crash

Default Re: Help ga-x58-ud5 Random black screen crash

Well I've tested some more and found out that
    Dimm slot 1,3,5 does not boot and that
    Dimm slot 2,4,6 does boot
    but still the system shutsdown the screen

I've tested this with 4 out of my 6 sticks so I don't belive it's the ram sticks that are something wrong with.

is there some setting that have to be on to make the system use the diffrent dimm sockets ?

or should I consider my mother board faulty and think that it's part of the fault that when it boot's it sometimes shutdown the screen and a while after the rest of the system crashes ?

Forget about bindows memory diagnostic tool and use Memtest 86+ V2.11 from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool its the only credible program to be using. But I feel that your MB is dead you should probably just RMA it and get a new one my friend.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Quote Originally Posted by NimrodAUS View Post
    Forget about bindows memory diagnostic tool and use Memtest 86+ V2.11 from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool its the only credible program to be using. But I feel that your MB is dead you should probably just RMA it and get a new one my friend.
    I think the other test I ran was an older version of the memtest 86 But I don't really belive that it is my ram now that I've only been able to start the system up on half the dim sockets available. I'll try to make an RMA case but thanks for all your people's opinions and idea's they have been most usefull in my search for my error.

I have now allso run a memtest 86+ V2.11 for about 4 hours and aparently it says the same as the other test I have only let it run a short time cause the first run was with 12gb with windows diagnostic and it ran for 24hours the second run was with an old version of memtest 86+ with only 4gb and it ran for 12hours now the last run with the newer version of memtest 86+ I belive only 4 hours should had created problems on one stick with only 2gb.

I thank you all at least I'm now fairly sure that something is wrong with my motherboard.

However I have one technical question. Could it be posible that since the memmory controller is incorporated with the cpu that it is the cpu that is having trouble with my ram ? just to be sure that my asumption is correct that only the motherboard could cause that kinds of errors ?

When you say that you cannot boot with a stick of mem in slot 1, are you referring to the DDR3_1 slot ?

if so, have you checked the pins in the cpu socket are all straight/aligned ?
    i7 950, Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R (2.0), 3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800, HD 6970

Quote Originally Posted by GHz View Post
    When you say that you cannot boot with a stick of mem in slot 1, are you referring to the DDR3_1 slot ?

if so, have you checked the pins in the cpu socket are all straight/aligned ?
    Well I was really carefull when adding the cpu to the motherboard but actually I have never really checked to see if the pins are all straight nor aligned.

I'm reffering to Dimm socket 1 when I'm saying slot 1 when I'm talking about memmory :) hope that claryfice it.

I dont think that it would be your CPU causing this issue. But I would possible re-set the CPU and physically check for any bent pins or the like on both the CPU Socket and the Ram Slot 1. But I will bet my left nut that your MB is scewed so you should just ring up right now and organise it to be sent back for replacement as it will take long enough to get an RA for it you can still play around and maybe solve it ( I doubt) before its time to send it back. Im still waiting for my MB which has been in the "mail" since last week. I applied for the RMA on the 23rd Of December :-(
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Quote Originally Posted by helbo15 View Post
    Well I was really carefull when adding the cpu to the motherboard but actually I have never really checked to see if the pins are all straight nor aligned.

I'm reffering to Dimm socket 1 when I'm saying slot 1 when I'm talking about memmory :) hope that claryfice it.
    the slots are numbered DDR3_2, DDR3_1 and so on:

Quote Originally Posted by NimrodAUS View Post
    I dont think that it would be your CPU causing this issue. But I would possible re-set the CPU and physically check for any bent pins or the like on both the CPU Socket and the Ram Slot 1. But I will bet my left nut that your MB is scewed so you should just ring up right now and organise it to be sent back for replacement as it will take long enough to get an RA for it you can still play around and maybe solve it ( I doubt) before its time to send it back. Im still waiting for my MB which has been in the "mail" since last week. I applied for the RMA on the 23rd Of December :-(
    I have now send my MB to the company I bought it from and now I can do nothing but wait the RMA case will be looked at from their side I just hope They find it as faulty as I belive it is :) So they can send me a new one hopefully as quickly as posible :)

And once again Thanks to all who have helped me It was much appreciated and needed :)

Quote Originally Posted by GHz View Post
    the slots are numbered DDR3_2, DDR3_1 and so on:
    well I can see that I'm just used to using the term Dimm about the memmory slots :)

And acording to that picture It is ddr3_1,ddr3_3 and ddr3_5 that will boot and
    ddr3_2,ddr3_4 and ddr3_6 that will make the post error

Cause when I talk about Dimm I count from left towards right
    Last edited by helbo15; 02-04-2009 at 09:36 PM.

ok, well there's nothing wrong with the pc not booting with mem in ddr3_2, ddr3_4, and ddr3_6 unless you are filling all 6 slots

the manual explains which slots should be filled first depending on the number of sticks and dual/triple channel config. (ddr3_1, 3 and 5 should be filled 1st)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information