Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help ga-x58-ud5 Random black screen crash

Unhappy Help ga-x58-ud5 Random black screen crash

Hi I've read these forums with interrest However it havn't solved my problem so now I've registered and are asking for help.
    First off I'm not sure if it should be here I post this post But I'm fairely sure it has something to do with my motherboard so I'm gonna give it a try.
    the symptoms:

the screen turns off.

the grafic cards speeds it's fans up.

the rest of the system seems to go on in the background For a while.

at some point if given enough time the rest of the system goes to a halt and stops responding on anything.

it happens random at any time have happend during installation of Both windows vista 64 bit and windows 7 64 bit

it have happend even after and succesfully installation with no drivers installed, and with drivers installed.

The system seems to have moments were it won't do anything not even move the mouse when just browsing around the net before it turns off the screen
    a bit about the system

Core I7 940
    Gigabyte ga-x58-ud5
    12 GB ram Kingston Value pc3-10600
    2x gf gtx295 in sli
    2x velociraptors 75gb and some other old hdd's and dvd drives.
    PSU 1000w LC-Power
    What I have done so far:
    I have had diffrent Gf cards in and in diffrents slots to test if it was the Gf cards or the slots and so far it have done the same type of crash with all gf cards and PCI-E slots

I have flashed the Bios to version F4

I have looked at my Ram settings and found that it runs 1060 MHz instead of 1333Mhz however I'm not sure if it's correct or not.

I have looked at system temperatures and found that my gf's don't get over 55 decrees Celcius and my CPU doesn't go over 45 decrees Celcius At ANY TIME AT ALL

my bios is set to optimal defaults.
    it is to me a rather expencive system and I'm allmost a nerve wreak cause
    I can't locate whats wrong

Pleas give me some sugestions to what I can do or what it might be

In advance Thanks

and Sorry for the bad spelling and gramma

Default Re: Help ga-x58-ud5 Random black screen crash

have you tried memtesting? (will take a looooong time with 12gb)
    have you tried removing some memory? testing with only 1-3 sticks installed?
    have you tried setting up your memory speeds/timings/voltages manually in the bios?

have you just left all settings on auto after loading optimal defaults?
    i7 950, Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R (2.0), 3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800, HD 6970

3. Default Re: Help ga-x58-ud5 Random black screen crash

I have same problem with RAM detection so, I have set the multiplier up to x10 and now the RAM is running 1333Mhz. Maybe that's the source of your problem...
    Anyway, you should try to set the PC only with necessary devices to boot the system and load OS to see what happens (i.e 1hdd, 1gpu, 1 stick of RAM). If the system works fine, just keep adding devices 'till the system shows the present symptoms. It's the only way to narrow down the problem to source.

Johnny
    System Components: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4,0Ghz; Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (X58-EXTREME F12 BIOS); Sapphire HD5970 2GB OC Edition; Western Digital Blue 500GB; Seagate 7200.12 1000MB; 6GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3; DVD-RW LG; Corsair TX750W
    Watercooling System: EK-Supreme Skt 1366 WaterBlock + EK backplate Skt 1366; Kit EK-FB GAX58 WaterBlocks; Aqua-Computer AquagratiX 5970 WaterBlock; 360mm Thermaltake radiator; 360mm BI Stealth X-Flow radiator; Laing MCP355 pump; EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Plexi
    Danger Den Plexi E/S 1/2" reservoir; 4x A.C. Ryan UV 120mm; 3x Tacens Ventus PRO ICE 120mm; 2x NoiseBlocker Black Silent XE2 92mm; Liquid Cooling FESER Black; FESER tubing 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD; Enzotech Compression Fittings G 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by GHz View Post
    have you tried memtesting? (will take a looooong time with 12gb)
    have you tried removing some memory? testing with only 1-3 sticks installed?
    have you tried setting up your memory speeds/timings/voltages manually in the bios?

have you just left all settings on auto after loading optimal defaults?
    I have tried to test the memmory I used a memtest for 24 hours and another memtest for 12hours ^^; the 24 hour test was on vista memmory diagnostic and the 12 was on some other I can't remember the name of.

I haven't tried to remove my memmory yet but thanks I'll try that

I have only faintly tried to mess around with memmory voltage and speeds However nothing good came out of that and I have Very little knowledge of memmory settings usually I've been happy with standard settings untill now so please explain to me what settings will do what and how and risk if you will :)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rook View Post
    I have same problem with RAM detection so, I have set the multiplier up to x10 and now the RAM is running 1333Mhz. Maybe that's the source of your problem...
    Anyway, you should try to set the PC only with necessary devices to boot the system and load OS to see what happens (i.e 1hdd, 1gpu, 1 stick of RAM). If the system works fine, just keep adding devices 'till the system shows the present symptoms. It's the only way to narrow down the problem to source.

Johnny
    Thanks for the idea I will do that :)

have troubles with only beeing able to run one gpu since there are 2 on each grafic card
    But I'll set the system up to one block of ram and one grafic card one hdd and so one I'll report when I've gotten it to run and seen if it still makes troubles and such :)

have you tried any of the newer beta bios's ?
    i'm using F5e on my UD5 at the moment

try these settings:

CPU Clock Ratio [22x]
    QPI Link Speed [36x]

Uncore & QPI Features [Press Enter]:
    QPI Link Speed [36x]
    Uncore Frequency [x20]
    Isonchronous Frequency [Enabled]

Base Clock (BCLK) Control [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) [133]

Performance Enhance [Turbo]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [10x]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (sPD) [Manual]

Channel A
    CAS Latency Time 8 [9]
    tRCD 8 [9]
    tRP 8 [9]
    tRAS 28 [24]

Channel B
    CAS Latency Time 8 [9]
    tRCD 8 [9]
    tRP 8 [9]
    tRAS 28 [24]

Channel C
    CAS Latency Time 8 [9]
    tRCD 8 [9]
    tRP 8 [9]
    tRAS 28 [24]

Load Line Calibration [Enabled]
    CPU Vcore 1.29375v [AUTO]
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v [1.20] (increase 1 step at a time, i'd try up to 1.36 with 12gb)
    IOH Core 1.100v [1.14]
    DRAM Voltage 1.5v [1.54]
    i7 950, Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R (2.0), 3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800, HD 6970

Hello again I've stripped the system to a bare minimum However Now it won't even start anymore

I've looked at the post codes and will now try to write em down in order But as far as I can see it loops through a few of em for some reason.

it seem to stall at 69 then at 6F
    and then goes through some fast ones I can't read that fast but between em comes C1 as a clear read after C1 it goes back to 69 and stalls a bit and then 6F stalls a bit then repeat it all over again

I've found out that when I move the same Block of ram to DIMM2 it will boot and not stop in the post. I will now test the system to see if it will run stabel on one block 2GB ram. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    Last edited by helbo15; 02-02-2009 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GHz View Post
    have you tried any of the newer beta bios's ?
    i'm using F5e on my UD5 at the moment

try these settings:

CPU Clock Ratio [22x]
    QPI Link Speed [36x]

Uncore & QPI Features [Press Enter]:
    QPI Link Speed [36x]
    Uncore Frequency [x20]
    Isonchronous Frequency [Enabled]

Base Clock (BCLK) Control [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) [133]

Performance Enhance [Turbo]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [10x]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (sPD) [Manual]

Channel A
    CAS Latency Time 8 [9]
    tRCD 8 [9]
    tRP 8 [9]
    tRAS 28 [24]

Channel B
    CAS Latency Time 8 [9]
    tRCD 8 [9]
    tRP 8 [9]
    tRAS 28 [24]

Channel C
    CAS Latency Time 8 [9]
    tRCD 8 [9]
    tRP 8 [9]
    tRAS 28 [24]

Load Line Calibration [Enabled]
    CPU Vcore 1.29375v [AUTO]
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v [1.20] (increase 1 step at a time, i'd try up to 1.36 with 12gb)
    IOH Core 1.100v [1.14]
    DRAM Voltage 1.5v [1.54]
    I've tried ur settings and no mather what I got a blue screen in windows with them So I've been quick to set them back to standard.

To be frank Messing with timeings and voltage is Scarring the hell out of me Prolly cause the little knowledge I have with that is mostly other peoples bad experiences.

But thanks for ur sugestion and I'll Keep investigating my Computer.

I'm lucky I have a Data technican education I would have a hard time imagining how a user with no experience would be able to handle a computer that does this sorts of things.

you should use memtest 86+ v2.11 Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and I dont like the fact that it worked for u in dimm slot 2 not 1, I would run memtest on 1 stick in maybe slot 2? and see what happens. if it passes I would do a fresh install on windows with that config and see what happens, then start adding stuff, firstly buy putting ram in slot 1 and see if it dies. If it does you could have a faulty MB maybe? Or maybe you just need to set your memory settings up or something. But All have been good suggestions so far.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by NimrodAUS View Post
    you should use memtest 86+ v2.11 Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and I dont like the fact that it worked for u in dimm slot 2 not 1, I would run memtest on 1 stick in maybe slot 2? and see what happens. if it passes I would do a fresh install on windows with that config and see what happens, then start adding stuff, firstly buy putting ram in slot 1 and see if it dies. If it does you could have a faulty MB maybe? Or maybe you just need to set your memory settings up or something. But All have been good suggestions so far.
    Well I have tried to install a new windows 7 on one memmory stick in dimm slot 2 and last night it ran stabel but allready today it shutdown the screen again uhm I have done memmory testing twice allready with windows memmory diagnostic and another tool from UBCD shouldn't they have come up with a fault if the memmory was faulty?

second today I'm gonna try one of the other memmory sticks just to see if it does the same. I have 6 sticks to test through I belive the chances are low to nothing that all 6 sticks being corrupt.

However fact remains as long as I try with dimm slot 1 the computer won't boot no mather what stick I use.

Shouldn't standard memmory settings be the most stabel settings ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information