Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ex58-ds4 weird oveclocking problem

Question ex58-ds4 weird oveclocking problem

I have:
    an i7 920 cpu
    12gb ram (Transcend 1333)
    with the x58-ds4 board and can't seem to overclock past 3GHz.

Everything seems to work fine if I keep my bclk at or below 150, i can even undervolt the vcor. When i increase the bclk to even 155 the system will not POST most of the time and will revert to failsafe settings.

I suspect it is the bios-memory and not the cpu since I have tried it with a reduced cpu multiplier. I've also underclocked the ram with a 6x multiplier with the same result.

On some occasion i have successfully boot at higher settings up to 3.5GHz and stress tested with no problems until i shut down and can not reboot with those settings. I've noticed that successful boots, with bclk >150, only occur after changing settings and exitting the bios (F10), and on those occasions the fans and board never shuts down completely. Other ocassions, exiting the bios will result in the board shutting down completely and then restarting. On these occassion the computer will fail to POST also.

I've also tried the F3, F4 and F5f bioses.

Can someone help?

Default Re: ex58-ds4 weird oveclocking problem

It seems like not many people have this board and 12gb.

I'm pretty sure now it's a bios issue since it's the second board i've tried and both show the same behaviour. Hopefully it will be addressed in the next bios update. For now i'll be content with the power savings i'm getting with the low overclock.

It'll also be good if anyone can tell me what exactly the bios does when it boots up the computer, just for curiosity. Does it always use the CMOS settings or does it start from default settings then change to CMOS settings? maybe the order in which settings are applied is the problem.

yep, same problem here. I have the same setup as you ( my RAM is from Kingston, though). It wouldn't cold boot properly past 150BCLK, but warm boot with 160BCLK works fine. Tried flashing to F4 bios but wouldn't work. Seems like a BIOS bug to me.

Contacted Gigabyte support but they insisted it was my hardware when I suggested it was a BIOS bug. Try contacting them to put some pressure on them to fix it in the next BIOS fix. You can quote my case ( Question 707104 dated 20/1/2009) to make your case stronger.

I've read another case where someone had the same problem but he was on a UD5, and his board had a 'hole' from 150-190BCLK, so 'we' are not the first case. In the mean time, if you really need the extra CPU speed, try removing 2 RAM sticks. It worked for me ( but I need the RAM more than the CPU speed so yeah...)

That is odd. I am able to POST at BCLK of 200 on the DS4 with a i7 920 raising the CPU to 4GHz but can't get it stable on the F4 BIOS. I have heard that the F4 BIOS is considered a bit pants so I'd skip it if you can. I intend to download F5c this evening. Could it be a bad batch of boards? (i'm new at this so please excuse my ignorance!)

JustLeigh,
    As palladium said, it's the 12gb of ram and cold boot that's giving us the problem. The overclock is fine if it doesn't have to cold boot so I think the components are all ok. I've tried the F3 and F5f bios. It's 40 degrees here so I wont be looking to go to to 4GHz anytime soon.

Ah, my apologies. I have a lot to learn!
    If you have managed to get a stable overclock at 3.5 - 4GHz could someone post their settings? I can't seem to get anything stable!
    (sorry if this constitutes hijacking your post! I will post in the overclockers forum general as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by JustLeigh View Post
    Ah, my apologies. I have a lot to learn!
    If you have managed to get a stable overclock at 3.5 - 4GHz could someone post their settings? I can't seem to get anything stable!
    (sorry if this constitutes hijacking your post! I will post in the overclockers forum general as well.)
    I'm very new to this too. I just backed off on the memory multipler and was creeping up by raising the bclk by 10MHz increments and keeping other settings on auto. I think I stopped at about 3.5GHz to run some stress test and couldn't POST again with the cold boot.

I think the approach taken by that overclocking guide you mentioned is a good one. First find the limit of your cpu-cooler combination by increasing bclk, core voltage and watching the core temperature at load. Then optimise the memory.

You may want to try the new beta bios that was posted a few days ago (I haven't tried it yet). It's one of the sticky pages on this board if you didn't know.

Hope this helps.

have the same problem. ud5 with 12 gb (2x6) transcend ram. I think not a RAM issue.
    damn kilobyte bios!

OP, have you tried F6a? It doesn't work for me, but works on UD5, wonder if it works for you now.......

Quote Originally Posted by palladium View Post
    OP, have you tried F6a? It doesn't work for me, but works on UD5, wonder if it works for you now.......
    I've tried F6a and it didn't work for me either.
    I think someone mentioned they tried F5 unofficial for the UD5 and it fixed their cold boot problem. Not sure if its the same problem we have. I think I will try the F5 when it is official since the F5 Unofficial is no longer posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information