Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Multiplier Question For EP45T GigaByte

Default Memory Multiplier Question For EP45T GigaByte

I recently built my new rig and installed a pair of 2GB Patriot Viper DDR3 RAM sticks rated at 1.7v and 1333Mhz. My motherboard is auto detecting the sticks as 1066Mhz with 1.7v. I noticed in the System Memory Multiplier under BIOS that there are options 4.00 A, B, C, and D to bring my memory up to the rated 1333Mhz rating they should be at. What is the difference between the 4 settings and which would be most appropriate to select to get the 1333Mhz out of my RAM?

System Specs:
    Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
    4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Patriot Viper RAM
    EVGA GTX 260 SSC
    Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR Motherboard
    500GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM

flyfisher is offline Member

Default Re: Memory Multiplier Question For EP45T GigaByte

These are the system memory multipliers for the various MCH (northbridge) strap settings. A = 266Mz, B = 333MHz, C = 200MHz, D = 400Mhz. The strap is set by the (G)MCH Frequency Latch in the BIOS. The MCH has internal timings similar to memory, the lower the strap the tighter they are. Essentially it affects memory bandwidth. A lower strap allows you to lower the Static tRead Value (Performance Level) which gives more memory bandwidth. You can experiment and see what is stable for you, but I would start with MCH frequency latch of 333MHz, System Memory Multiplier of 4.0B and Static tRead of 8 or 9 and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    These are the system memory multipliers for the various MCH (northbridge) strap settings. A = 266Mz, B = 333MHz, C = 200MHz, D = 400Mhz. The strap is set by the (G)MCH Frequency Latch in the BIOS. The MCH has internal timings similar to memory, the lower the strap the tighter they are. Essentially it affects memory bandwidth. A lower strap allows you to lower the Static tRead Value (Performance Level) which gives more memory bandwidth. You can experiment and see what is stable for you, but I would start with MCH frequency latch of 333MHz, System Memory Multiplier of 4.0B and Static tRead of 8 or 9 and go from there.
    Ok I have the same issue. I don't understand this ABCD stuff. In my BIOS F7 the (G) MCH freq Latch is set to "auto".

So what frequency should I use for a GA-EP45-UD3P mobo running pC1066 memory and an E8400? What should be the value of (G) MCH Freq Latch? So then once the value is set you just select the corresponding X.XXA,B,C or D value for a multiplier? This bios is so new I can't find anything in a tutorial for this mobo.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can leave it on auto, and just choose a memory multi based on your FSB you are using. Here is each memory multi and what straps they are on >>>

For your CPU at stock you would want to use 3.20B (333 FSB x 3.20B =1066)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You can leave it on auto, and just choose a memory multi based on your FSB you are using. Here is each memory multi and what straps they are on >>>

For your CPU at stock you would want to use 3.20B (333 FSB x 3.20B =1066)

Ok so the strap speeds related to whatever FSB you are using. You just select the one that is closest to the one you are using if you are overclocked? So if I was overclocked to say 390mhz I would select the D strap since it is closer to 400 than 333?

Yes, along those lines of thought. Voltages and other settings may dictate which you can use though. Such as ram voltage, MCH Voltage, and tRD choice will decide if you can run say 400 strap for example.

For 390 FSB you would still want to try to use 333/B. The lowest you can use and be stable is best, no matter the FSB. But the higher the FSB the less stable the lower strap choices will be, and the higher strap choice may also mean the tRD you can use must be higher as well

Yes, along those lines of thought. Voltages and other settings may dictate which you can use though. Such as ram voltage, MCH Voltage, and tRD choice will decide if you can run say 400 strap for example.

For 390 FSB you would still want to try to use 333/B. The lowest you can use and be stable is best, no matter the FSB. But the higher the FSB the less stable the lower strap choices will be, and the higher strap choice may also mean the tRD you can use must be higher as well
    Thanks a lot I think I am grasping the concept now.

If you have any other questions or are not sure about something with this, please feel free to ask and I will try to explain it

[End Quote}

Hi

I jumped into this thread as I have a problem with ram timings on a ep45t-ud3lr and 1600xms ddr3 2x2048.

At the moment i'm running a E7200 at 3.9 Ghz 410 fsb and the ram at 810, 1:2 ratio.

I have the Mch strap and ratio set to Auto.

If I increase the MB fsb to 550, and set the CPU at around 3.9 Ghz regardless of which ram ratio or Mch strap I use the ram isn't stable even at 1300 mhz.

I have checked the Cpu and ram separtely, The instability is caused by the ram.

Core temps are 40 C at idle and 58 C loaded with Orthos. Northbridge temp around 50 C. I don't know the ram temps but they have large heatspreaders and an extra case fan blowing on them.

Ambient temp is 25 C.

Core voltage 1.35
    Dimm voltage 1.9
    Mch voltage 1.3

Apart from Cpu multiplier, Clock and the voltages listed above most other settings on auto.

Although i'm happy to get the speed out of the ram I would like to have a higher MB fsb.

The Cpu isn't stable above 3.9 Ghz but it's good enough.

Ram timings are 10, 7, 7, 20, 2T ,I haven't found changing the settings in the ram sub menus that would help but I'm not sure what the ffect would be.

Appreciate any help.

Thread Information