Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Wrong Esata Cable?

Default Wrong Esata Cable?

Hi everyone. I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 (rev 2.1) motherboard with a eSATA bracket which I have installed on the PC back panel. It looks like this....

Now I just bought a acomdata PureDrive 500GB external hard drive, which has both USB and eSATA hook ups on the back, like this....

My problem is that the eSATA cable I have does not have the same size plugs on both ends....

As you can see from the pictures both the external eSATA bracket and the acomdata drive take the wide ends of the connector. My cable has a wide connector on one end and a shorter connector on the other. I'm just wondering if I have the wrong cable, and if so which cable do I need to get?

Thanks.

Default Re: Wrong Esata Cable?

Ok, nevermind. I got the answer on another forum. "The cable you have is designed to plug into the ESATA device (wide plug) then plug into the motherboard just like a internal drive (narrow plug). You need to get a cable with wide plug on each end so it'll plug into the bracket in the back of your computer and into the device."

So I need an eSATA to eSATA cable. Got it.

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
    Nope. That cable is just like mine - wide connector and small connector.

I think you should look again since I have this cable but at least you know what you need. They are both eSATA I type connectors.

http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_...al_cables.html
    Last edited by pbcopter; 02-07-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Ok, sorry. It looked like that in the photo. Thanks.

No problem. Good luck.

Well my new cable came today and I hooked it up and nothing. The light on the front of my drive is red and that's about it. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Hm, i think you may need to have AHCI enabled for ti to work. Try having the drive connected and switched on when you boot the computer. If it is reconized then the issue is probably AHCI.
    Do a forum search, I think I remmeber seeing a guide here on how to enable AHCI if you installed Windows without it (you can't just enable it in BIOS, Windows won't boot anymore).

Thread Information