Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P 2 months old, DEAD? w/ 23 short beeps...

Unhappy EP45-UD3P 2 months old, DEAD? w/ 23 short beeps...

See specs below.

I built a system for my friend 3 months ago. In that time he had never powered it off once. The other day he powered it down at night and tried to power it on the next morning. He powered it back on and it kept going off and turning back on. (I never put an internal speaker for beep codes in it previously.)

He just brought it by so I could diagnose it. I attached a speaker to see if it was throwing any beeps codes. Sure enough it's throwing 23 (24?) short beep codes. From looking around this forum, I first tried swapping out a known good power supply. Still 23 beeps. Left the known good supply in and threw in some known good Ram, Still 23 beeps. Left known good power supply and ram and took out the HD-4830 and swapped in a known good HD2600XT. Still 23 beeps. Hmmm. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

Intel Q6600
    EP45-UD3P F4 bios
    4GB (2x2) G-Skill PC8000
    Powercolor HD-4830
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750BQE

Default Re: EP45-UD3P 2 months old, DEAD? w/ 23 short beeps...

On many systems, if you have the CPU fan speed control set on auto in BIOS and the fan fail warning set to 'enabled' you'll get this at startup -- the fan doesn't start until the temp comes up and the warning gets triggered.

It shuts off when the fan gets powered up.

The same thing can also happen with PSU and system fans -- sometimes you also have to adjust the speed at which the warning cuts in, particularly with big diameter (slow) fans.

CPU fan speed control is set to maximum and fan failure set to disabled. Thanks for the suggestion though. It starts beeping continuously (23 ish times) almost immediately. Thanks....

continuous short beeps are a power error, at least thats what my ud3p manual says.

id say strip the machine down to power supply, mobo, cpu/fan and 1 stick of ram and see if it will give you a single post beep.

As stated I've stripped it down to the essentials and changed out all the usual suspects to known good units from working machines, such as power supply, RAM and video card. I've also cleared the BIOS (obviously) The only thing I haven't done is pop a new CPU in. I've also tried one stick of known good Ram in all of the slots.

I read the manual as well and I see that continuous short beeps are "power" related. The only thing that I didn't mention was that this machine was put to sleep and not powered off. After going into sleep mode, it came back on in the middle of the night and started cycling on and off. Then my friend brought it to me to look at.

I've built four systems with the same specs (exact same specs, including bios settings) listed in my original post since this motherboard was released and I'm about to build a fifth.... Well, after this one gets fixed. This is the only one that has had this issue... So far. (One of the four is mine, which I'm typing this on, though mine has 8GB of Ram)

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Keep pumping out the ideas. :) For me to post on a forum means I've exhausted all normal and esoteric troubleshooting steps.

It would be nice if Gigabyte had a better description of the beep codes. If it can beep 23 times in a row consistently it has to mean something more than... Power issue...

Thanks again.

Specs again:
    Intel Q6600
    EP45-UD3P F4 bios
    4GB (2x2) G-Skill PC8000
    Powercolor HD-4830
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750BQE

Use 1 stick of memory and not two.

I had the endless beeps a few weeks ago.

Even the manual said it was a power supply issue (it wasn't), I had to bump Mch value up because I had 8 gigs of memory.

I guess I didn't say it clearly before. Yes I am testing using only 1 stick of known good Ram. And I've tested it in every slot. I think I need to clarify that once again that, this box had worked perfectly for 2-3 months, until he put it to Sleep the other night. It has not booted up successfully since then. It just powers on and off, beeping manically when it's "on".

Thanks. Keep the answers coming. Anybody think it could be CPU? That would be a first for me.

Sorry. I must have scanned this thread too fast...

Have you done the worst case scenario? Remove the cmos battery and short it out?

Have you sorted it yet?

When you stripped it to the bare essentials, did you also try the MB outside the case?

PCUser did you ever resolve this issue? Sounds very similar to what is going on with my system and cannot determine a best course of action. I have done as you have and have eliminated all other possible issues that I can think of. Pulling my hair out here!
    Last edited by perkasd; 03-03-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling error

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information