Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD3R Power Up and Down Loop

Angry GA-EX58-UD3R Power Up and Down Loop

*SOLVED* The memory was incompatible

I built a new i7 940 2.93GHz machine using a GA-EX58-UD3R board. It was never able to POST. When I press the power button, the LEDs on the board come on and the processor & power supply fans run for 5 seconds and then power off for a few seconds and back on again in a loop.

I've tried swapping known good power supplies and video cards. I tried the two memory modules one at time in the first slot. I tried the board outside of the case on an anti-static bag. I tried powering it on using a flat screwdriver on the power switch connection rather than the case's power switch.

I contacted Gigabyte tech support and they seemed to think it was a bad board, so I RMAed it to NewEgg for a replacement, but the replacement board is doing exactly the same power on and off thing as before.

That seems to narrow down the possibilities to either a bad i7 processor, incompatible memory, or a 2nd bad EX58-UD3R board. Crucial's site says the memory is compatible. I did notice that if I remove all memory modules the board powers on and stays on like it should. There is no POST due to no memory of course.

Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    Crucial 2GB DDR3-1333 (CT25664BA1339) X 2
    Asus Radeon HD 3450 Video Card
    Corsair CMPSU-450VX 450W Power Supply
    Last edited by owensdj; 03-03-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD3R Power Up and Down Loop

I'll be honest...I went thru this exact scenario last night (GA-EP45-UD3R). Let it cycle 3 or 4 times, wouldn't stay on. I Removed power...took a step back and verified that I had all connections snug (something I thought I had already done). Turns out my 24pin power connector wasn't completely secure. Think it must have been effected while I was trying to zip-tie the cables out of the way...dunno.

...anywhoo...after I pushed it down, it fired right up, no issues since. Well...'cept for my USB meeses not working

Hello owensdj,
    i have exactly the same problem, UD4P motherboard and same ram (CT25664BA1339).

Could you tell me more about your solution ?

Thank you very much

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The correct slots are 1, and 3 White. (the second and fourth physical slot)

Are you sure you are using those slots?

Does your PSU have a 8Pin ATX 12V Connector? I have seen a few users with X58 boards and smaller PSU's like you have not boot until they bought a larger PSU

Lsdmeasap, thank you for your help.

I have tried all the possibility with ram and for now only the slot 1 is used.

My ATX is a brand new seasonic 500W with the 8pin ATX 12v connector.
    My test with another PSU give me the same result.

Hi,

Sounds like you're having the same symptoms that I have. I have a GA-EX58-UD4P with an i7 920. Turns on for a few seconds (all the fans and LEDs light up) then powers down. Then turns on again.

see this thread:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/help...restart-30697/

I'm trying to decide if I should RMA the board, the CPU, or the power supply.

I've almost decided to take it to a not-so-local store so they can run some tests on it. I wish I had thought to buy a POST diagnostic card, but by the time one arrives I will be past my return window.

I'll try tightening the connections again tonight like suggested.

Hi Skratch,

I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU (because i have tested with 2 PSU).

Intuitive % >
    80% > ram compatibility ( check with other ram )
    20% > deffective motherboard

If you read the post of owensdj, it looks like he solved his (our) problem...

angang, the solution was replacement memory. I called Crucial Technology tech support after I still had the same problem after getting a replacement motherboard. They admitted that they never tested these memory modules with this particular board. They tested the memory, but not the PCB. They cross-shipped some of the same memory that had a newer revision, and the system worked perfectly with those.

I'm very disappointed in Crucial for putting memory on their site as Compatible with a motherboard when some revisions of it were not. I had to spend money shipping the board back to NewEgg and shipping the memory to Crucial because of this.

I'm not quite sure this will solve my problem. I forgot to mention that my rig was running OK for about a week before developing the endless restart. Also, I checked Gigabyte's list and my memory tested OK. (Patriot PVT36G1600LLK)

I guess I'll keep looking.

Thumbs up Re: GA-EX58-UD3R Power Up and Down Loop

Thank you very much for these precious informations owensdj.

I 'll try to replace my crucial by others...

Once again thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information