Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ga-ep45-ud3p issue

Default Re: ga-ep45-ud3p issue

Can you explain part about the 12V CPU connector again? What happens when you disconenct it?

when I disconnect the 12v connector, the computer does not do the boot looping anymore. Instead, it stays powered on, but obviously nothing loads up, as that is the processor power plug. It just kind of hangs, which is to be expected. So this is why it leads me to believe that the problem is either due to the board or to the processor becoming faulty.

OK, I get your point now. It's not what you think though.

When the computer powers on it goes through a a routine (POST), checking if everything is there. I.e. it checks whether there is a video card, if memory is installed and if auxiliar power connectors like the CPU power conenctor or a video card power connector are installed. If something is not there the PC will just keep running since it doesn't know what to do further I guess. Take the RAM out of another PC and it should then also just keep running when it tries (but fails) to boot.

The continous reboot loop means that the POST process is further along and the basic check whether everything is there has been completed. Due it being completely unstable it fails to boot though but by now enough functions are working that it knows that it should try again. But then it fails again ... and again etc.

Have you tried each RAM stick seperately? The RAM is the most likely cause.

I have tried each ram stick separately and let it boot on its own about 10 times with no further results. I don't really see how the POST goes further along each time because it just starts up, lasts for like 2 seconds, and then shuts off. A few seconds later, it comes right back on and does the same thing. As far as the ram goes, is it just that it does not like the brand, or because one (or both) of the sticks went bad? I checked the compatibility on the gigabyte website before I bought them and the site said they were compatible.

Also when I boot with no ram at all, the same result occurs.

The POST goes further as without the power connector the process just stops, the computer does not even try to boot. With it connected the PC tries to boot but instantly fails. This is exactly what happens when you enter too high overlocking settings, the PC will try to boot one or two times. If it cannot boot it reverts to a stock FSB and stock voltage settings and then boots. But in your case even stock settings are not stable, so it will try to reset the BIOS and boot again which doesn't work, but then it tries the same thing all over again infinitely.

Try some different RAM and a different PSU.

I can try, but that requires me to buy some new ones. Anyone else have their 2 cents or do I need to go and buy some?

Is it not possible to borrow some from a friend? You could also take your PC to a local store and see if they can figure it out.

kick is offline Senior Member

Well from my own personal experience on this board type:!

1. as has been alluded to you are in the "cant post" cycle.

It could be something simple.I will enter the "cant post" cycle if ive overdone an overclock and thats about it.If the computer locks up"whether in windows or not".It will enter the cycle,and require turning the psu switch off to enable a post.
    Acting up means it will no longer boot at all? or just it happens sometimes?.

From what you said originally..something "broke".
    Maybe you could say a bit more about the nothing connected at the back thing?.Depending on what bios settings are even not having a keyboard connected will prevent post .

You have been running the machine just fine until this problem occured?
    Getting more general now:
    Ive read some articles about cmos needing /battery disconnect for 24hrs! to reset bios..it seems a bit extreme to me,since ud3 has dual bios but who knows.

So you were running the pc on "optimised defaults" in the bios?.
    With everything conneceted and in the "it worked ok before" setup: the first thing that causes failure to post(ive found is cpu fan spin up is too slow).:> its old,clogged up with tobacco residue/dust.
    Im not suggesting your a chain smoker,its just what ive found.
    I also notice youre running 2 hdd's. Are u running vista on one/booting xp on the other?

If a hdd is "borked" pc wont boot up either.Maybe try each hdd alone..even if theres no OS on one machine should post ok..
    My own cpu connection to the 2x4 cpu input:im just using the single x4 my psu has.It works fine for me.

I dont know your psu.I assume it has the 2x4 connection built in since its 750w.But if you are using a molex connection adapter for the second 4 pin plug ,it will be using the first and second 12v supply for the cpu.
    Only one rail is supposed to be used for the cpu.

This is all rattling on tho.Sounds like you are frustrated and need some answers.Give people a timeline of what happened before u got the continuous reboot thing.
    Have you tried all the keystrokes while its booting up,?

It may be something is "broken" but its hard to tell what,everything should still be under guarantee at least :)
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

A dead HDD will not usually cause a reboot loop, the PC will boot and then ask for something to boot from, like the "press any key to boot form the cd" message you get when you're first installing windows. trying to disconnect though can never hurt, but I've never heard of a bad HD causing a reboot loop, but maybe we have a first here ;)

Also since it turned out to be a cable that somehow got lose with someone else's PC, try reconnecting all PSU cables and double-check them. Sometimes these problems do turn out to have trivial cause like this. Good luck!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information