Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ga-ep45-ud3p issue

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ga-ep45-ud3p issue

A dead hdd will cause a failure to properly boot/reboot on this mbrd ,or it has for me,,then again Im not an "expert" on ep45-ud3 like nickel.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    Well from my own personal experience on this board type:!

1. as has been alluded to you are in the "cant post" cycle.

It could be something simple.I will enter the "cant post" cycle if ive overdone an overclock and thats about it.If the computer locks up"whether in windows or not".It will enter the cycle,and require turning the psu switch off to enable a post.
    Acting up means it will no longer boot at all? or just it happens sometimes?.

From what you said originally..something "broke".
    Maybe you could say a bit more about the nothing connected at the back thing?.Depending on what bios settings are even not having a keyboard connected will prevent post .

You have been running the machine just fine until this problem occured?
    Getting more general now:
    Ive read some articles about cmos needing /battery disconnect for 24hrs! to reset bios..it seems a bit extreme to me,since ud3 has dual bios but who knows.

So you were running the pc on "optimised defaults" in the bios?.
    With everything conneceted and in the "it worked ok before" setup: the first thing that causes failure to post(ive found is cpu fan spin up is too slow).:> its old,clogged up with tobacco residue/dust.
    Im not suggesting your a chain smoker,its just what ive found.
    I also notice youre running 2 hdd's. Are u running vista on one/booting xp on the other?

If a hdd is "borked" pc wont boot up either.Maybe try each hdd alone..even if theres no OS on one machine should post ok..
    My own cpu connection to the 2x4 cpu input:im just using the single x4 my psu has.It works fine for me.

I dont know your psu.I assume it has the 2x4 connection built in since its 750w.But if you are using a molex connection adapter for the second 4 pin plug ,it will be using the first and second 12v supply for the cpu.
    Only one rail is supposed to be used for the cpu.

This is all rattling on tho.Sounds like you are frustrated and need some answers.Give people a timeline of what happened before u got the continuous reboot thing.
    Have you tried all the keystrokes while its booting up,?

It may be something is "broken" but its hard to tell what,everything should still be under guarantee at least :)

First off...overclocking was never done on this machine as I was afraid of instability. Yes, it will no longer boot at all, just the continuous power on power off cycle. It also does not matter whether or not the keyboard has been plugged in...got the same result.

I have also had the bios battery disconnected for at least 12 hours, but 24 I have not tried. As far as the cpu fan being clogged, everything in this machine is brand new, so obviously I am frustrated because everything that I put in it cost around $700.

As for the two hard drives; one had windows 7 (pre-release) and the other had xp and were working just fine until this event happened. I also just tried the one hard drive alone idea, and then tried booting with none with just the same result.

Not sure how to give a timeline other than one day everything was booting and working fine. I may have applied a bios update, using the gigabyte software, but I believe when I restarted it worked fine and things were stable. Then I shut the machine down to go to sleep. Went to turn it on the next morning and this happened. Could it be possible that I applied a bios update that made the machine become unstable?

I appreciate everyone else's advice and help...keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    A dead hdd will cause a failure to properly boot/reboot on this mbrd ,or it has for me,,then again Im not an "expert" on ep45-ud3 like nickel.
    A dead HD will cause the system to fail to boot from it but not fail to POST. Those are two different things. A reboot loop where the PC fails to post is therefore not caused by the HD. The PC usually doesn't load anything from the HD yet until you see the Windows loading bar.

kick is offline Senior Member

Smile Re: ga-ep45-ud3p issue

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    A dead HD will cause the system to fail to boot from it but not fail to POST. Those are two different things. A reboot loop where the PC fails to post is therefore not caused by the HD. The PC usually doesn't load anything from the HD yet until you see the Windows loading bar.

Having no practical experience of this motherboard means only passing out opinions on how particular components will behave or system generalisations.
    Thats fine in itself some replies are better than none at all,as long as we realise that someone who has successfully overclocked a pc doesnt automatically make them an expert on all "pc matters".
    Let me explain it for those who dont understand.
    While in windows my computer froze.
    It didnt go to a blue screen,it became like if you pause a dvd.
    This meant I had to turn off my pc using the power button on the front.
    I then pushed the button to turn the machine on again this applied power to the motherboard.
    However the machine went into a power up/power off cycle a continuous loop if you will.So it was both FAILING TO POST and BOOT/REBOOT .I reset the psu switch.
    I was able to start the pc all the way into windows but unknown to me the hdd had become corrupted. The same thing happened again ,and it wasnt my bios settings.
    Or at least it wasnt my settings that were the cause of the shutdown.
    Data on one of my hdds had become corrupted ,I hadnt realised.

I was unable to repair it at the time,but i did later after dloading the manufacturers own low lvl formatting program.

Just in case you are wondering it was a 160gb sata hdd 7200 rpm and no its not in my sig pc now .Its humming away happily in a 820D windows xp setup.
    My present hdd is a 1TB wd .Ok to be strictly accurate,its only 960 gb ,but itll do
    Both hdd's were in the pc when one failed.

The point is the hdd caused my pc to FAIL to POST that also made it kind of tricky to load the OS!!

When I make posts here , I dont do it in the "I am duh law"(Judge dredd) style,and certainly not when Im not even using any of the components mentioned.
    I just tell what Ive experienced on my own setup, and general advice Ive read .
    My previous oclocks such as the "amazing 3.5ghz pentium 820D", (It actually will do a bit more but it wouldnt be right to have it running faster than the q core) are of little interest here,and yeh it is a gigabyte board.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Hope my new signature helps.
    My rig:

Gigabyte Triton 180 case
    Intel Quad Core Q6600 (2.4 GHz)
    Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p motherboard
    2x1GB OCZ PC8500 (1066 MHz) RAM
    Intel Stock CPU cooler
    Corsair TX750W PSU
    Sapphire HD3870 PCI express x16 GPU
    1 160 gb hdd & 1 320 gb hdd via sata
    Samsung DVD Burner via IDE

@Kick
    Please do not try to explain things that you do not understand yourself. There are some things that are the same with ALL mainboards. The boot process is standardized and no matter what mainboard you get it will work the same way. If it reboots this quickly then it will not have gotten to trying to boot from the HD yet, it's just not possible. I own mainboards with all of Intel's performance chipsets released in the last three years and they all work the same. As do my two boards with Nvidia chipsets for AMD CPUs, and the one with the VIA chipset as well. How do you know that my P45 DS3L is differnt than the UD3P? You don't know that so stop trolling about it. The BIOS is actually the same, as is the chipset whose settings the BIOS is changing.
    It's great that you try to help people here, but unless you KNOW for sure that someone is wrong you should not try to discredit them.

@jjsoring
    Thanks, a sig makes it a lot easier for me (and others of course) since we don't have to go through every thread again to check what hardware the thread starter has.

Let me add (not sure if it helps, but) that my case is a gigabyte triton 180 which was highly recommended by newegg customers, so I got that one too. I will now add that to my signature as well.
    My rig:

Gigabyte Triton 180 case
    Intel Stock CPU cooler
    Corsair TX750W PSU

Case isn't really necessary but it sure can't hurt. The important parts are CPU, Mainboard and RAM of course, as well as the PSU since it has a major impact on stability. Listing the CPU cooler as well enables me to judge peoples temperatures at certain overclocks.

Any news on whether you can borrow a PSU and some RAM? I can't really help right now anymore since you've tried all I can think of that does not require swapping hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    ...Listing the CPU cooler as well enables me to judge peoples temperatures at certain overclocks.

Any news on whether you can borrow a PSU and some RAM? I can't really help right now anymore since you've tried all I can think of that does not require swapping hardware.
    As far as the CPU cooler, it was running just fine keeping my CPU at good temperature levels. As I said before, there was no overclocking involved. As far as borrowing the PSU and RAM, I don't think I can borrow them now, but maybe sometime soon hopefully.
    My rig:

Gigabyte Triton 180 case
    Intel Stock CPU cooler
    Corsair TX750W PSU

hey jjsoring I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS BOARD. Unlike you tho, i never actually got it to boot in the 1st place. Brand new board, installed everything but kept rebooting every 2 seconds, drove me nuts! after painstakingly unplugging every cable and port i finally figured out it had something to do w/ the 2x4pin cpu plug. Tried 3 diff power supplies and had the same prob. What i did notice when installing the cpu was 1 pin in the socket was slightly bent, how did i know? light was reflected off that pin differently....i remember this in the back of my mind and took out the cpu to have a look...yup it was bent BUT IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY LIKE THIS...i noticed it right after i removed the cpu cover when taking out the board for the 1st time.

Anyway i sent it back and got a brand new same ep45-ud3p....same friggin 2 second boot restart!!! This time tho i tried a diff grafx card which interfered with my ocz heatpipe ram....so i moved the 1 stick of ram (always use 1 stick when troubleshooting) to the furthest right slot...no 2 second reboot problem! BUT it still wouldnt actually show anything on the screen...then i tried moving the grafx card to the lower pci-e slot...AND IT BOOTED AND POSTED FINE.

Ok i have no clue why but now everthing works fine after that, windows boots ok and i even flashed the latest mobo bios...having the grafx card on the 2nd pci-e (orange) slot solved the problem and i dont know if it hampers the grafx performance but doubt it since i have a low power card.

I have everything plugged in now and im keeping the grafx card on that 2nd slot, it actually keeps gpu heat away from the northbridge/cpu area so thats a plus in my book, see if any of that works for you and good luck!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information