Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS3L - E7200 - PC-8500 (Overclocking help!)

Default Re: EP45-DS3L - E7200 - PC-8500 (Overclocking help!)

Still not working. I've tried several settings in the BIOS with a lower FSB but it seems the chip just does not want to budge. Or maybe it's my mobo? Regardless, I'm using an ANTEC Trupower II 480W unit, so I don't think it's a problem with the PSU. :(

I just tried 350 x 8 to get 2.8ghz and still have no luck getting any extra speed out of my CPU. I think I may just give up and keep the stock settings if it's going to be this stubborn about overclocking.

Archer, Did you make the standard changes in the Advanced menu? Sorry if you mentioned that, but a few things need to be disabled there too.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherV20 View Post
    Is this a hardware issue? I've run several passes over memtest and have no issues. The system runs rock solid stable at stock settings. I can't figure out why it won't do any overclocking.

My E7200 also was really stubborn with this board, but that was with an older BIOS. I'll try to install it in the next couple of days and see if I still have the problem.
    I'll subscribe to this thread and will let you know how it works out, it might take up to 10 days though.

@ AirAl - I had made all the changes in the advanced section as per Nickel's instructions but I'm still not seeing the results I want. (Or any for that matter)

--

I don't know what the problem is, if maybe I have a defective board. Another issue is, the system running stock is still somewhat unstable. Randomly the system can bluescreen and do a memory dump. Or it will fail to post sometimes, but upon restart it will run fine for hours. Something about these OCZ Reapers in Dual Channel mode has caused me quite abit of headache.

If stock is unstable then in 90% of the cases something is defective (not counting user error). As long as you can't get stock stable there's not much point trying to overclock because overclocking is never gonna make anything more stable. But that's not news, really.
    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-19-2009 at 05:48 AM.

I am however curious about the situation I am in then if you don't mind diving a bit deeper into this.

I have this in my system:

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - OCZ2RPR10662GK In Canada.

Is it possible that I'm not setting everything correctly? The only adjustment I've made to the BIOS when running these in Dual-Channel is setting my DRAM voltage to 2.1

I can't delve in deeper since I don't understand the issue myself (remember I had the same problem with an E7200 a while back, but that CPU overlocked fine on my other board and an E8500 works like a charm on my board).
    Boards and CPUs are never 100% the same. If you buy the same board twice and try overclocking your CPU to the maximum you will likely get two slightly different results, If you buy the same CPu a couple of times then overl****ing between the best and the worst chip can be very different, like a couple of 100MHz between the best.

So now that we've established that hardware is not absolutely identical, it's not that far-fetched that some combinations between two unique pieces of hardware won't work well. If you were to buy another E7200 it would probably run fine. If you were to get another board your current CPU would probably overlock nicely as well. It's just that your two things just don't like each other for whatever reason.
    Ask around on hardware everyone with some experience has seen/read about that, it does happen and we don't know why exactly.

I know this is not a satisfying answer, but that's what it probably is. I can't claim to know a defintive answer though of course, I would need your hardware here with me for that and do more testing swapping out all other components and stuff.
    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-19-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Damn. Looks like I'm up the river then.

I'm going to do a bit more googling to see if I can find the "proper" settings for this ram on this board to run it stable in Dual Channel. I will report back / or even create another thread for this issue. Thanks for everyones help. I really appreciate it.

I would just get another board or CPU to test this, then sell the old one if it works. It wouldn't be ripping off someone as long as it does work fine on stock (in all likelyhood they wouldn't have this problem even if they did OC).
    And you wouldn't loose that much money, and save tons of time trying to make this work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information