Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA EP45 UD3P - front usb problems, please help !

Default Re: GA EP45 UD3P - front usb problems, please help !

In the case of the Xaser case, it may simply be a matter of age.

The USB connectors on those old Chieftec cases aren't USB 2.0 compatible.

For that matter, I had a similar experience with a newer Antec Sonata, circa 2003.

Try the motherboard USB headers with a rear USB 2.0 bracket, and I bet you have a better experience.

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ivanmoe View Post
    In the case of the Xaser case, it may simply be a matter of age.

The USB connectors on those old Chieftec cases aren't USB 2.0 compatible.

For that matter, I had a similar experience with a newer Antec Sonata, circa 2003.

Try the motherboard USB headers with a rear USB 2.0 bracket, and I bet you have a better experience.
    Right, I remember when I bought it Thermaltake's site said they were USB 1.1's however... when plugged into USB2.0 ports they do have 2.0 speed (I've confirmed this before with my A7N8X, with a flash drive + my Sony MPD-AP20U drive)

I'm buying this !New 2port USB Front Panel For PC 5.25 Bay mount Beige - eBay (item 300293139932 end time Feb-18-09 08:56:53 PST) to see if it helps and I'll report back . I do think it's my cases old age some how.

There really ought not to be any difference — the connections and cabling for USB1.1 and 2.0 are identical.

Selling ports and cables as 1.1 and 2.0 was purely a marketing ploy (not so with PCI cards, tho' — there were lots of hassles with various chipsets.)

I have a front docking station (bought at a swap meet some years ago) in one of the 3.5" slots on my fairly old Lian Li case (now on its 4th MB) that has one pair of ports marked as USB 1.1 and the other pair marked USB 2.0 — their speeds are identical and they work fine at 2.0 speed with any USB device that supports it.

Current MB is a UD3R, which should be the same USB-wise as the UD3P.

If you don't want the hassle of plugging bulky devices into a rear port, just pick up a USB type A extender cable (cheap — a dollar or so) and bring it round the corner.

Edit: Thought I'd add the convention for USB wiring:

RED is +5V power. WHITE is D- (Data return). GREEN is D+ (Data Forward). BLACK is Ground (Earth).

Where you just have a bunch of individual connectors as supplied on many cases, they may not follow the colour code (maybe off-colour wire is cheaper?) but do usually have the plugs marked.

If in doubt when identifying pins and it's not in your MB manual, check for the +5V with voltmeter or multimeter (normally it's pin 1 and its neighbour in the other row, which is usually marked as pin 10.)

Some older Gigabyte boards had the pinouts connected mirror image, so one had always to check this before plugging anything into the MB's USB ports, but they've long since gone over to the regular convention of having them side-by-side.
    Last edited by Idle; 02-14-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Further thought

Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post
    There really ought not to be any difference — the connections and cabling for USB1.1 and 2.0 are identical.

Selling ports and cables as 1.1 and 2.0 was purely a marketing ploy (not so with PCI cards, tho' — there were lots of hassles with various chipsets.)

I have a front docking station (bought at a swap meet some years ago) in one of the 3.5" slots on my fairly old Lian Li case (now on its 4th MB) that has one pair of ports marked as USB 1.1 and the other pair marked USB 2.0 — their speeds are identical and they work fine at 2.0 speed with any USB device that supports it.

Current MB is a UD3R, which should be the same USB-wise as the UD3P.

If you don't want the hassle of plugging bulky devices into a rear port, just pick up a USB type A extender cable (cheap — a dollar or so) and bring it round the corner.

Edit: Thought I'd add the convention for USB wiring:

RED is +5V power. WHITE is D- (Data return). GREEN is D+ (Data Forward). BLACK is Ground (Earth).

Where you just have a bunch of individual connectors as supplied on many cases, they may not follow the colour code (maybe off-colour wire is cheaper?) but do usually have the plugs marked.

If in doubt when identifying pins and it's not in your MB manual, check for the +5V with voltmeter or multimeter (normally it's pin 1 and its neighbour in the other row, which is usually marked as pin 10.)

Some older Gigabyte boards had the pinouts connected mirror image, so one had always to check this before plugging anything into the MB's USB ports, but they've long since gone over to the regular convention of having them side-by-side.
    Here you go:

Strange problem with front USB wiring.. [Archive] - Icrontic Forums

You can read the entire thread, but the last post provides a reasonably nice post mortem. Note that the poster is talking about an Antec 1080 SOHO case (one of those ubiquitous Cheiftec cases). The problem is that the wiring associated with most of those old 1.1 configs can't carry a USB 2.0 signal. It doesn't matter unless the USB device demands a lot of bandwidth, like a 2.0 thumb-drive.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanmoe View Post
    Here you go:

Strange problem with front USB wiring.. [Archive] - Icrontic Forums

You can read the entire thread, but the last post provides a reasonably nice post mortem. Note that the poster is talking about an Antec 1080 SOHO case (one of those ubiquitous Cheiftec cases). The problem is that the wiring associated with most of those old 1.1 configs can't carry a USB 2.0 signal. It doesn't matter unless the USB device demands a lot of bandwidth, like a 2.0 thumb-drive.
    Thanks for that link, definitely a good read however...

It doesn't explain why all my USB mice work and my ancient Sidewinder 2 Joystick along with my Amazon.com: Sony MPD-AP20U Portable USB 2.0 CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive: Electronics (Sony MPD-AP20U) works and believe me this device in USB 1.0 mode is so painfully slow I would know if the front ports couldn't support it in 2.0 mode which they 100% do, not to mention the fact that my old A7N8X had 0 issues with any device.

Eh this is an odd issue to have certainly hopefully this front port hub fixes it for me.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I stumbled across this issue with an Antec Sonata case that had the USB 1.1, front-panel ports.

My wife was using the system and plugged a thumb-drive into it all the time. One day, I went to load a proggy from my own thumb-drive in the front-panel ports, and Windows couldn't recognize it.

I tried the same drive in one of the mobo ports, on the back, and it recognized it. The board came with a USB bracket, so I installed it and connected the cables to the motherboard USB header. Sure enough, it recognized the drive.

I proceeded to research the issue and came to the conclusion that I've already stated. Many older computer cases can't handle newer, faster USB devices.

There's nothing wrong with the USB headers or the header pinout on the Gigabyte board. Users can wrestle with those individual pins from the front-panel ports until there's pork in the trees, and they still won't produce the result that's being sought.

If users want to be able to use the motherboard USB headers, they need to use a USB 2.0 bracket and access the ports through the rear of the case, get a new case with the proper hardware on it, or purchase some sort of front-panel solution.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I am not the only one with this problem.

I just bought an external usb hub and now use the back usb port to drive it, and gave up struggling with the front ports. Its an old Antec Plus series case and has to be a problem with their front usb boards. I called Antec and asked if they had replaced usb ports for this case and they said that they do not support this case any more, and do not carry any spare parts.

sanjay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Seems like I am not the only one with this problem.

I just bought an external usb hub and now use the back usb port to drive it, and gave up struggling with the front ports. Its an old Antec Plus series case and has to be a problem with their front usb boards. I called Antec and asked if they had replaced usb ports for this case and they said that they do not support this case any more, and do not carry any spare parts.

sanjay.
    Yeah, while mine would allow me to use half my devices the ones I really wanted to use (Joystick + PS2 Controller to USB + One Flash drive) didn't work so I ended up buying two of these !New 2port USB Front Panel For PC 5.25 Bay mount Beige - eBay (item 300293139932 end time Feb-18-09 08:56:53 PST) and while I had to cut the 9th and 10th pin holes out (easily done using some scissors) because the #9 no pin was reversed it is working 100% flawlessly right now so I'm happy.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information