Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Possible solution to "More Than 1 Memory Stick" problem.

Default Possible solution to "More Than 1 Memory Stick" problem.

I have the GA-EP45-UDR3. When I first got the board, I had the problem where adding more than 1 stick of ram would cause my PC not to POST. So I started with 1 stick, then went into the BIOS and started changing the settings for my memory to what the sticks were rated for. I finally got to the point to where I was able to use all four sticks. But when I shut down my PC for over a day, I had the same problem in that it would not POST with continuous beeps and resetting. I was really getting upset with this Gigabyte board that I just bought. I was ready to turn it over on its side, remove the side panel, and pour water on it while it was continously resetting.

So I decided to clear the CMOS in order to be able to start with one stick of ram. After I got it to POST with 1 stick, I decided that I might as well make sure I had the latest BIOS version. So I flashed to F6 for my rev 1.1 board. I then went into the BIOS and noticed that the BIOS was using different memory timings and voltage than what it was supposed to use. I noted those memory timings and set the voltage to the proper voltage (2.2V) for my sticks of RAM (4x1GB Crucial Ballistix). I added the second stick and rebooted. The PC automatically went through 2 reset cycles before POSTing. This time, I let it boot into the OS (Vista). I then installed Everest Ultimate to get all the memory timings that were being used. These timings were under the "Motherboard -> Chipset" folder in the left pane. You might want to keep with 1 stick to get all the memory timings first.

I then rebooted into the BIOS and specifically set those memory timings that I noted from Everest. Note that the memory timings that the board ultimately and successfully used were not the same that are in the SPD or EP profiles. Once all the timings were entered, I made sure that the DRAM voltage was set for 2.2V (according to Crucial) and the MCH was 1.2V. Keep the DRAM XMP feature disabled. I believe that I also set the Driving Strength Profile to 1066 which is the speed that my memory was supposed to work at. I saved the BIOS settings and shut it down. Added the 2 last sticks and rebooted. It came up and booted into the OS just fine. It's been running fine for the last 3 days even after completely powering down.

Hope this helps some of you who are going crazy with this problem.

Alex

EDIT: I should add that I still ran the memory at the advertised speed (1066 MHz).

Default Re: Possible solution to "More Than 1 Memory Stick" problem.

Hey and thanks for your post,

I have exactly the same problem with my GA-EP45-DQ6 and my 2 sticks of Corsair Dominator (4GB). I have tried everything that you did except the part with Everest. And I almost took the board out and smashed it against the wall!!

I cleared CMOS (the hard way, jumper, clr cmos button, battery out, leave for an hour etc). I then changed the DRAM voltage to factory (2.1V) and the timings as given by the memory specs. But again I am having the same issue.

I can't wait to get back home and try the Everest thing that you suggest.

Again thank you for the insight and I will let you know if it helped.

That actually makes sense, wouldn't be the first time errors like that slipped into a BIOS. If Auto sets your timings badly it's no wonder the system is not stable.

You can also use Memset to check your timings in Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    That actually makes sense, wouldn't be the first time errors like that slipped into a BIOS. If Auto sets your timings badly it's no wonder the system is not stable.

You can also use Memset to check your timings in Windows.
    I tried to use the timings as specified by Crucial. But it caused my system to not boot or POST. So I don't know where the fault lies. But I think it's Crucial's fault for rating their memory at certain timings when in fact it can't operate at those timings. I remember my same memory causing certain problems on my nice Abit board. Sometimes it would also not POST. I thought it was the motherboard but now I'm thinking that it may not be the case.

alex

The problem with PC hardware is that there are too many possible combinations for manufactuers to test them all. This results in there sometimes being combinations that just don't work as well as they should (or not at all).

Thread Information