Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-DQ6 and Dual Channel problem. Please help!

Default GA-EP45-DQ6 and Dual Channel problem. Please help!

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a new GA-EP45-DQ6 rev.1.0 and 2 sticks of Corsair Dominator (2x2048MB 1066) and I am having the known issue with Dual Channel.

Intel E8500 3.1
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
    Saphire HD4870 1GB
    4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (5-5-5-15 PC2 8500) RAM
    CoolerMaster PSU 700W

When I stick the two DIMMs in dual channel mode I get the on-off bug. The board keeps looping without ever POSTing.
    The really strange thing is that if I shut down and remove the second stick and boot the board successfully POSTs. If I then shut down and add the second stick in dual channel, it again POSTs successfully and from that point on everything works fine. But if, after that, I shut down and let the rig sit for a couple of hours I get the same problem again!

I have tried everything. I updated BIOS to F12 (latest in Gigabyte site)
    I cleared CMOS (the long way: jumper, clr cmos button, battery out, leave for an hour etc).
    I then changed the following values in BIOS (as seen in many Lsdmeasap's replies):

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled

Standard Timing Control (RAM specs)
    CAS Latency Time........................ 5
    tRCD ......................................... 5
    tRP'........................................... 5
    tRAS.......................................... 15

tRFC........................................... 52
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

MCH Core…………….......................... 1.26
    DRAM Voltage ……..........................: 2.1V (RAM specs)

Everything else I left to default (I had first loaded Optimal settings)
    But again I am having the same issue.

I should note that when in the restart loop I hear multiple short beeps from the speaker.
    One other thing is that a few times that I turned the power switch of the PSU off/on I got some kind of power outage (don't know if that's the correct word) that caused the fuse/relay on the power board in my house to drop. Something like a short-circuit would do.

Again, I should note that I have tried taking the board out of the case and made sure that no short-circuit was there.

Thank you for reading my long post and I hope someone helps me before I RMA the board.
    <iframe src="http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?lookitup&title=21st&query=box&css=body%7Bback ground-image:none;margin:5px%7Ddiv.hr%7Bdisplay:none%7D&c rop=%3Cdiv%20class=%22hr%22%3E%7C%3Cdiv%20class=%2 2hr%22%3E" style="border: 1px solid black; width: 460px; height: 100%; top: 0px; right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: fixed; background-color: white; z-index: 1000; display: none;" id="ResultBox3"></iframe><iframe src="http://www.answers.com/to%20make%20sure?lookitup&css=div.ads,div#headerSe ction,div#navigationSection,div#footer,table#copyr ightTable,p.didYouMean,div#shopping%7Bdisplay:none %21important%7Ddiv#new_left%7Bmargin:0%21important ;padding:0%21important%7D" style="border: 1px solid black; width: 460px; height: 100%; top: 0px; right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: fixed; background-color: white; z-index: 1000; display: none;" id="ResultBox8"></iframe>
    Last edited by ador; 02-12-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Default Re: GA-EP45-DQ6 and Dual Channel problem. Please help!

As noted in the other thread, try setting all your RAM timings manually, this could very well be the solution (if Auto indeed for some reason sets unstable timings with two sticks).

Yes, as I replied to that thread, it's the first thing I will do as soon as I get back home. I just opened this thread to show more detail of my problem in case it's a different issue.

Thank you for your reply, I will let you know if it works.

Do you think that the problem I had with power:

"One other thing is that a few times that I turned the power switch of the PSU off/on I got some kind of power outage (don't know if that's the correct word) that caused the fuse/relay on the power board in my house to drop. Something like a short-circuit would do."

is also related to RAM? All this doesn't make much sense, but then again I am quite new at this...
    Last edited by ador; 02-12-2009 at 05:16 PM.

The power problem can't be related to the RAM, RAM needs onyl very little power there's no way it could cause something that major.
    That can only be related to the PSU as far as i can think off (and the power board etc. in your house of course).

Yeah thats probably not good. Id be looking at getting another PSU.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

I am actually thinking of getting another PSU because we bought two of the above systems with a friend with the exact same parts and he also suffered from that power problem.
    <iframe src="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?lookitup&title=I%20bought&printable=yes& css=div#footer,h3#siteSub,div#contentSub%7Bdisplay :none%7Dh1%7Bfont-size:16px%7Da%7Bcolor:blue%21important%7D&xremove=//div%5B@class=%27infobox%20sisterproject%27%5D" style="border: 1px solid black; width: 460px; height: 100%; top: 0px; right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: fixed; background-color: white; z-index: 1000; display: none;" id="ResultBox0"></iframe>

Thread Information