Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3 - Help with ram

Default EP45-UD3 - Help with ram

I have been re-directed by Kingston staff to come to gigabyte for help about changing my bios settings conerning RAM.

"If you have further question about adjusting those BIOS settings of your
    motherboard, you may contact motherboard manufacturer for further
    assistance."
    Background:
    I have a kit of 2 KHX8500D2K2/4G sticks (the dual channel ones, where its 2 sticks to make the 4 gigs...)

I have been told to do this:
    "Please be informed that you need to adjust the BIOS to reach the advertised
    speed. The SPD of KHX8500D2K2/4G is programmed to JEDEC standard of DDR2
    800Mhz (PC2-6400) . BIOS will automatically detect SPD and show as 800MHz
    if you does not change the BIOS. Please manually set memory frequency 1066
    MHz, timing 5-5-5-15, and Voltage at 2.2V in BIOS for an attempt to run at
    1066 MHz."
    I have no real idea where to begin, and if I wish to change the Bios settings, must i be aware to change other settings to compensate?

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3 and thats all im aware of that i should tell you.

Hope i can get some help <3

Ren~

Default Re: EP45-UD3 - Help with ram

What CPU do you have? This is important as RAM speed is dependant on the speed of your CPU's FSB.
    Basically you need to go into the M.I.T. in BIOS, change the system memory multiplier (to what value depends on your CPU (3.2B for an E8xxx or Q8xxx or Q9xxx series, 4.0A for an E7xxx and with an E5x00 or lower you won't be able to run the RAM at 1066 without overclocking the CPU).
    Also set DRAM voltage to 2.2V

Try if that works, if you get problems you may not to manually adjsut the timings as well.

I have an, intel core 2 qud Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz and Mutiplier x8 (however when idling my mutiplier drops to x6 (2Ghz).

My Rated FSB is 1333.3 Mhz.

What you just told me to do is really baffling. Im not sure what you really mean and how i was going to do it, i have read the guide to bios flashing but i can't see the relevance YET.

Thanks~ Ren.

BIOS flashing has nothing to do with it, flashing means updating the BIOS.

The BIOS basically is a control panel for the motherboard, that lets yous et things like RAM speed and timings, voltages, overclock your CPU, disable onboard devices such as the onboard sound when you use a sound card etc. You enter it by pressing DEL when booting the PC.
    What you need to do is increase RAM voltage as it needs more volts to run at 1066. According to this your RAM needs 2.3V for 1066, so go into M.I.T. and set DRAM voltage to 2.3V.
    Then, locate the setting "system memory multiplier" and change it to 3.2B.

And the fact that the multiplier varies in Windows is perfectly normal, the is Speedstep a.k.a. EIST, a powersavin feature that reduces the multplier to save power when the CPU is idle.

Is it bad if the volatges are set wrong?

Because im confused whether to set it at 2.2 or 2.3V.

Thanks~

Look at the specifications I linked you, it clearly says 2.3V there. 2.2V might be enough, but to be safe go with what Kingston tells you to use. Or is 2.2V written on the RAM itself? In that case it should be fine as well.
    If yo u have problems with 2.2V though try 2.3V of course.

Ok thanks for the advice

Thread Information