Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-EX58-DS4 won't boot

Default Re: GA-EX58-DS4 won't boot

My guess is that the cpu might be the problem. If you don't get any response when you apply power as you described, it indicates to me that cpu is not executing any instructions.

You have dertermined that the CPU works on another system so maybe try to remove the cpu, check the pins on the board and chip for anything unusual.

Also, I think the board has a buzzer so you won't need a speaker to hear the beeps when booting. I hear a feint buzz on mine. Edit: Oops, sorry I didn't read the part where you sent it back already.
    Last edited by tnzz; 02-15-2009 at 10:02 AM.

I'm highjacking this thread a bit as I have the excact same problem. My setup is almost identical to yours

GA-EX-DS4
    Gigabyte GTX260
    Corsair TWIN3X 1333MHz DDR3, 6GB, 1.5v (3x2)
    intel i7 920
    750W PSU with 8pin CPU connector

I've reset CMOS several times as that is the typical problem with new MB not booting or giving any beeps.

I've reset by removing the battery, jumper and the cmos reset switch.

I've tried to boot without RAM installed, my cpu is working, I've tried with 8800gts and 7950gt graphics cards and my harddrives are working.

Only differense I ever see, is when I reset by removing the battery. when I do that, the computer flashes and reboots two times before it is back to the no boot state.

I'm all out of ideas. I know this MB has problems booting with the i7 920 cpu, but I's not possible to upgrade to BIOS 4 as long as it doesen't give input to the monitor...

Do I just return this MB to the dealer and change to a different manufacturer?
    Last edited by Azraehl; 02-21-2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Added info

Possible solution:

The RAM is inserted in the wrong slots.

Unlike every other setup I've assembled and unlike every computer I open up at work (I'm a retail computer techie) the RAM should be inserted in the RIGHT slots in each pair

2-1 4-3 6-5

Ram in slots 1,3 and 5 for triple channel
    Ram in slots 1 and 3 for dual channel
    Ram in slots 1 or 3 for single channel.

I feel like a noob for not figuring out this sooner, but after reseting my mind and think back to basic I read through the whole user manual and discovered the RAM slot settings on an image.

As your problem is almost identical to mine, I figure you have done the same mistake. It even seems more so as one of your MBs were testet ok at the retailer.

Sounds like a simple error. Could happen to anyone.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So is this sorted out now? Ya, I agree they have the slots funky for Triple for sure.

One would think Triple should start with the first slot, not the second (Labeled 1)

For me It's sorted out and working like a charm. As for the OP I'm not sure. I believe he's still waiting for his replacement, but it seems like he had the same problem I did...

Quick update guys:
    @Azraehl, thanks for the advice, but this was one of the first things I tried. When I first set it all up I did put the memory in the wrong slots, but after correcting this mistake I was still having the problems. Good to hear you got your rig working though, i7's are beasts and I'm really looking forward to finally trying mine out when it's sorted.

Back to my system, I sent the MOBO, CPU and memory back to the supplier for testing and they recieved it last monday. They finally got round to having a look at it today (after many a phone call from me) and they found that all the components work individually, but when they are together they don't...after a bit more tweaking they realised it was the memory that wasn't compatible. This had me quite cheesed off since they specifically recommended the memory as being compatible with the rest of the setup when I bought it, also it states in the MOBO manual that it works perfectly with dual channel memory (asl long as it's in the right slot!!), PLUS I even spoke to Gigabyte themselves who said the memory should be fine with their motherboard grrrr!

Anyway, after all that, I'm being upgraded to some OCZ tripple channel 6GB 1600MHz memory, at no extra cost(more as a payoff for all the postage fee's I've spent sending bits and bobs back for testing). They tell me they've tested it all together and it works perfectly, and I should be recieving it when I wake up, so fingers crossed I'll have a working machine before this time tomorrow...just a mere month after purchasing the parts. Will let you all know how that goes. Thanks again for all the advise you've given, I really appreciate the help, and although it didn't directly fix it, it sefinitely gave me some food for thought.

Look forward to hearing how everything works out waft. As I have a similar problem(with EX58-UD5). Powers on and nothing happens just blank screen, or it just goes into a loop of reboots. The thing is I have the ocz 6gb triple channel 1600 ram, and I've tried it every way possible. I just sent mine back for a return. Now I'm not sure if I should get the asus p6t deluxe, or order the gigabyte EX58-UD5, and hope I don't get the same problem again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information