Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it's not too much trouble, need some BIOS settings reccomendations

Default If it's not too much trouble, need some BIOS settings reccomendations

Ok guys, I'm having trouble getting my E5200/UD3R combo past 3.0GHZ, I attribute this to the BIOS settings, which are still at stock (besides FSB/Multipler/Vcore, of course). I've seen you guys give full on BIOS settings readouts optimized for specific hardware, and I was wondering if I could get you guys to do the same for me, or else point me to where I can find such a readout.

Anyway, here are my pertinent specs:
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards - Gigabyte UD3R Mobo
    Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops - E5200 Wolfdale 2.5 Stock
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory - Corsair 2x2gb 1066 DDR2 Ram

And a Sunbeam Core Contact

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks a lot!

Default Re: If it's not too much trouble, need some BIOS settings reccomendations

Try this:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: x9
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: 0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3600MHz

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 400Mhz = FSB
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100Mhz can't hurt tto manually set this
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 900mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 800mV
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD] results in more relaxed timings, use this and only try turbo when the system is stable in standard
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 400MHz should be as close to the FSB as possible, better higher than lower
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.0D try with RAM at DDR2 800, you can increase RAM speed later
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time..................5 manually setting RAM timings is also always good for overclocking
    tRCD ...................................5
    tRP .....................................5
    tRAS....................................15

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type: Manual

CPU
    CPU Vcore: 1.3250V

CPU PLL: 1.55V manually set this

MCH Core: 1.300V

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage: 2.1V or whatever is written on the label on your RAM

Advanced Settings other menu, no in the M.I.T.
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3......................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect.............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E).................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support ....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support ..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function..........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology..................: [Disabled]

Report back if you have problems. You will likely need less VCore and MCH Core, but try these values first and reduce them later.

Default Re: If it's not too much trouble, need some BIOS settings reccomendations

Ok that looks good, I'll try that when I get home later tonight.

As I'm new to overclocking (especially with changing ram settings) I was curious about the '1066' part of my ram...is that what the frequency can reach? So once I get it stable at 800mhz I should up it to 1066? Please enlighten me if I'm way off base. Thanks for the reply regardless!

Yes, 1066 is the RAM frequency up to which it's guaranteed to run.

You also sound like a good candidate to read the overclocking guide that I'm working on. Tell me if you understand everything.

Overclocking basics

Let’s start with definitions about what is what.
    The CPU speed is derived from the FSB multiplied by…. the multiplier!

FSB (Front Side Bus):
    The connection of the CPU to the northbridge*, usually 200, 266 or 333 MHz for current Intel CPUs. As four bits of data are transferred every clock cycle (i.e. every Mhz), Intel markets these as 800, 1066 and 1333 respectively because of that. These higher frequencies are also often referred to as the effective FSB.
    The FSB can be adjusted upwards and downwards and is only limited by how much the motherboard and CPU are capable off.
    * chip on your mainboard connecting the CPU to everything else, a higher FSB means more bandwidth and is therefore better for perfromance

Multiplier: This is locked and can only be decreased but not increased to a setting higher than the stock value. The difference between an E8400 and an E8600 CPU for example is the stock multiplier of 9 for the E8400 (resulting in 333 x9 = 3.0GHz) and 10 for the E8600 ( 333 x10 = 3.33GHz)
    Because the multiplier is locked on all CPUs but the Extreme Edition CPUs you can only overclock your CPU by increasing the FSB.
    The multiplier is called “CPU ratio setting” on Asus boards.

RAM: DDR RAM (no matter whether DDR1, DDR2 or DDR3) actually runs at half the speed it’s quoted at (i.e. 333 MHz for DDR2 667, 400 MHz for DDR2 800, 533 MHz for DDR2 1066 etc.). As it transfers two bits of data per clockcycle these higher effective frequencies are commonly used though. RAM is backwards compatible, meaning that you can always run faster RAM at a slower speed (e.g. 1066 RAM at 800 or lower). The important thing about RAM when overclocking is that it needs to be able to run at least as fast as the speed of your FSB (I’m about the real MHz, not the effective values). So if you want to overclock your E8400 to 4.5 GHz (500 x9 = 4.5GHz which would be high but is possible) you would need RAM capable of running at 500 MHz (DDR2 1000) so you should get DDR2 1000 or better RAM. It is also possible that RAM rated for 400 MHz (DDR2 800) can run at 500 MHz, but since RAM is so cheap right now it’s a good idea to buy RAM that’s guaranteed to run at the speed you need.
    You can also run RAM at a higher speed than the FSB, there’s a setting called “system memory multiplier” on Gigabyte boards in the BIOS for that. If you have a FSB 333 MHz CPU (1333 quad-pumped) and DDR2 800 (400 MHz) your BIOS will likely automatically cause it to run at DDR2 800 which is the 2.4 system memory multiplier (333 x 2.4 = 800).
    On Asus board the setting works a little differently. It’s called “DRAM Frequency” and doesn’t show you the multiplier but lets you cycle through different multipliers and shows you the resulting RAM speed. If you change the FSB, the RAM speed will change!

Sounds good, very informative.

Once I want to run my ram at 1066, do I only need to change the frequency, or anything else with it?

You need to change the "system memory multiplier" once you found the CPU frequency that you want to keep. Change it to the value so that the memory frequency is shown as (or close to) 1066 in the next line under "system memory multiplier". The A, B, C, D at the end of the system memory multiplier indicate at which FSB the multipliers should be used. Always take the one closest to your FSB, rounding up.

Ok, so using those settings I was able to post and get into Windows at 3.660GHZ. However, at that speed in Vista it reports my clock speed as 4.16 GHZ? Lower speeds give higher speeds in Vistta as well...which one is it? The lower speed in the BIOS or the higher one in Vista?

Also, this could be unrelated, but since using these settings the one game I have installed on my system (Black and White 2, no internet connection yet so no Bioshock/Orange Box) gets pretty choppy after it's been running for a certain amount of time (after 2ish hours for the first occurence, then after 10 mins, and now it's just generally choppy when I zoom in close on things like trees/big villages). I'll restate that at the beginning, everything was buttery smooth no matter the perspective. Any ideas?

Don't trust Vista, check with CPU-Z instead.

The game issue sounds strange. Have you checked for system stability with Prime 95 yet?

No, I'm waiting on my wireless adapter to get here (no internet just yet, so no downloading of apps). Doesn't it seem strange though that this setup would be unstable with these settings? I've read countless threads about the overclocking ability of the E5200/UD3R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information